DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fixes for the iraqi OOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello View Post

Yes, the Kh-28 was the ARM of choice
Thank you.

Quote:

I was not planning to raise this issue for this patch as in fact I am not entirely sure about initial availability date. 1984 does not sound too bad but it might have been earlier, like 1982-1983. SIPRI for example lists 1983 for delivery. I have read claims on forums about it being used operationally already in 1982. Hence my comment about leaving the initial formation availability date alone. I was planning to get a book on the Iraqi air force which might have the answer but it isn't going to happen very soon.
The adjustment I've made will do for now based on the info we have on that one aircraft but what I am most interested in is when anything, be it tank, rifle or ARM missile is ready to be used operationally . Not when it was unloaded from the boat and not when it was first used in anger but when ( roughly ) it was actually issued so there will always be room for "interpretation" with that but anything within that year is close enough.

With all of this we are at the mercy of "sources" from "experts" who often conflict and if one source claims weapon X was available 1983 and another claims 1985 I'm quite happy making it 1984 but in this case there were big gaps at either end which is why I said the exisitng dates were not good enough. I cannot leave formations open ended.

Don
Old January 30th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Actually iraqi configuration was as follows:
Marcello..... If you have the info PLEASE just provide it and do not make me hunt for it becasue I do not have he time to spare and if you think I can see what it's supposed to be from that illustration, your wrong.

That said it *appears* to indicate ( for game purposes ) one ARM and one UB-32 pod

Don

Last edited by DRG; January 30th, 2012 at 09:37 AM..
Old January 30th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
That said it *appears* to indicate ( for game purposes ) one ARM and one UB-32 pod
Don
Sorry, what the picture shows is the Su-22 configuration when carrying a Kh-29 I was describing earlier: one kh-29, an ECM pod, a drop tank and a UB-32 rocket pod used as counterweight.

The typical configuration when carrying a Kh-28 was a single Kh-28 missile and a targeting pod as depicted in the following drawing.
Old January 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road

Sorry for confusing weapon slots of Kh-28.

Quote:
what the picture shows is the Su-22 configuration when carrying a Kh-29 I was describing earlier: one kh-29, an ECM pod, a drop tank and a UB-32 rocket pod used as counterweight.
Actually, two Kh-29 could be carried in such configuration (one would cause problems with counterweight anyway), and this is what unit #152 has now. Four bombs could be additionally carried provided there are no ECM nor drop tanks. With such assumptions, there should be no additional weapons indeed.

Michal