winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old November 21st, 2016, 07:38 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road
Default Video recording question

Can you guys please tell me your opinion about the video quality of this recording? It's the best I can do right now as FRAPS still refuses to work for me.
I know it is not perfect, especially the text, but, is it watchable/readable for you?

Please don't mind my actual gameplay, I wasn't trying to win, just testing the game.

https://youtu.be/-Yw1Hf8m2Lc
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:39 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Video recording question

Well the first thing I noticed is you are running fullscreen at some resolution other than desktop which "fuzzys" the game graphics and makes it look 2 decades old but the game sounds come through OK.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old November 21st, 2016, 11:23 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Also, the Move Radius is on, which results in an annoying greying-out of most of the map each time a unit is selected. Move radius on is really only useful as "training mode" for beginners, IMHO as experienced users will soon get used to how much their units can move. (I think I turned that "feature" off after 10 minutes playing the original SP1 back in the 90s, and its stayed firmly off since!). It leaves most of the map greyed out in shadows, and really doesn't look that good overall, IMHO.

You may also want to turn the hex grid off for at least part of the demo, so it looks more like a map than a hex grid. I think hex grid off makes it look more "1/300 tabletop wargame" rather then the SPI paper hex counters type game. When playing, I usually only flick the hex grid on if I need a detailed view, then back off again. others I suppose, totally prefer the hex look.

Units were also really moving incredibly fast across the map - I would suggest turning the unit move delay up a bit (I use 100 milliseconds on my machine), so they appear to properly "move" hex to hex across the map rather than almost instantaneously "flick" straight to the destination, but that's me.. maybe some folk like that effect?.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old November 21st, 2016, 11:36 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Thanks guys. I will try some changes later.
Old November 21st, 2016, 03:45 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: Video recording question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Also, the Move Radius is on, which results in an annoying greying-out of most of the map each time a unit is selected. Move radius on is really only useful as "training mode" for beginners, IMHO as experienced users will soon get used to how much their units can move. (I think I turned that "feature" off after 10 minutes playing the original SP1 back in the 90s, and its stayed firmly off since!). It leaves most of the map greyed out in shadows, and really doesn't look that good overall, IMHO.

You may also want to turn the hex grid off for at least part of the demo, so it looks more like a map than a hex grid. I think hex grid off makes it look more "1/300 tabletop wargame" rather then the SPI paper hex counters type game. When playing, I usually only flick the hex grid on if I need a detailed view, then back off again. others I suppose, totally prefer the hex look.

Units were also really moving incredibly fast across the map - I would suggest turning the unit move delay up a bit (I use 100 milliseconds on my machine), so they appear to properly "move" hex to hex across the map rather than almost instantaneously "flick" straight to the destination, but that's me.. maybe some folk like that effect?.
This is the reason there are " Preferences".......... I have always played with move radius on and the hex grid. The game doesn't feel right to me when I try playing them off. I didn't play table top ( much....a little bit ) I "grew up " on Avalon Hill board games...they all have hex grids...it feels more familiar to me and that's the way I like these set up as well

Don
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:20 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Whenever I play without hex/grids/whatever depending on the turn based game, I always end up miss-clicking. Always. In this game in particular since I play with hex and not meters for distance, it's even worse when trying to quickly figure out distances on the map.
As for move radius. I don't feel comfortable playing without it as I feel like I am wasting time, looking at the movements left etc. Don't get me wrong, I have played wargames without move radius before, for example I used to play a lot of Red Lightning back in the late 80s, but that doesn't mean I don't prefer the faster pace (for me) of having the movement radius showing all the time.

Q: If I try to use "use desktop resolution", how high or low can it go?
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It will go to whatever your desktop Res is set to. Mine runs 1920x1080
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old November 21st, 2016, 05:08 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

And for those who think the text is too small at 1920x1080 mode, they can set the computer to say 1600x900 or some such smaller resolution (choosing one that does not squash the dimensions) before launching the game. Game then uses the smaller windows desktop setting the end user has switched to, text should be more readable at the cost of some map size.

That is why it is called desktop resolution - as it uses whatever resolution the end user has set his machine's windows desktop to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old November 22nd, 2016, 09:34 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EAhD0ovac

Another recording. Started with hexes off, then turned them on. Played at desktop resolution full screen dx (1080p). I changed the movement delay too. To 70 or 80, I don't remember what. I did try 100 (not recorded) but I found the movement a bit....not to my liking. Will see...

I don't know if I can do anything to improve the video quality, probably not, but I believe it is good enough to use it in future Let's Play videos.