.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 29th, 2008, 03:20 PM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reign of the Vampiri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos View Post
Quote:
The vampires are described as immortal but they are not. I waited to hit Pangea until I had a candle in the target province because it was going to be a tough battle (*LOTS* of troops had accumulated while my assassins kept killing their leaders.) I lost 1/4 of my army in the strike and nobody showed up in my capital.
You are right. I'll have to fix that.

Quote:
The master vampire you get from Blood Trap either shouldn't be able to research or should require a specific "Summon allies" command. As it stands he researches and the vampires pile up. I just completed my research and have over 1200 points/turn.
Will higher cost fix this?
Could be.

It's now winter of the 11th year, somehow I'm at peace with everyone. The three nations that started near me are now dead and I'm catching up with C'tis--the only real opposition left.

Research is 4300 points per turn--I have them all on research so they don't show up in the army screen while I'm trying to collect the vampires.

Also, did you do something to the vampire lord? I have recruited some, given them skull staffs and am having them recruit more--the intention is to use them as blood hunters. (I've found a 60% off site, makes them a *GOOD* deal!) The problem is that they won't stay on monthly casting. The new vampire lord shows up but the orders are cancelled.
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:29 PM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

I'd be interested in knowing how many freebie vampires were cropping up per turn at the end.

Giving the vampire master a gold cost might be interesting - there would effectively be a limit to how many you could summon.
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:16 AM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregstrom View Post
I'd be interested in knowing how many freebie vampires were cropping up per turn at the end.

Giving the vampire master a gold cost might be interesting - there would effectively be a limit to how many you could summon.
I think I was up to around 600 from the main group and I don't have a count on the blood hunters (~350 slaves/turn at the peak, declining due to the dominion kill) when I decided I had enough firepower that C'tis was no longer a threat and there was no point in playing it out. I didn't have enough death gems to recruit enough wraithlords to lead them all.

Gold wouldn't have been much of a limit, anyway--my upkeep was under 2000 and I hadn't recruited anything beyond blood hunters for a long time. I forget what my income was up to, something in excess of 20k--I had Gift of Nature's Bounty up.

I was using the vast amounts of gold to make conquest easier--every province I took I put at least PD 80 in. This way I didn't need to worry about maintaining a battle line, each strike group just wandered around taking provinces. The number of provinces that got retaken was very low, doing it this way was faster than a battle line that would keep having to stop to seige castles.

(Strangely enough the AI hardly was interested in globals. For years I had Gift of Health/Gift of Nature's Bounty/Strands of Arcane Power/Wrath of God up, the 5th slot empty. Finally Bogarus started casting The Kindly Ones and I would promptly dispel it. Gift of Health finally got taken out and I didn't bother to replace it as all my fighting was in enemy dominion and there were no enemy mages in my dominion that might feemblemind the guy who cast Strands of Arcane Power.)

I'm now trying it against 8 impossibles. I'm #1 in all but army size and research. Patella somehow severely crippled themselves--when I found them they had 4 provinces to my probably 40. They declared war, I took them down to two but they have expanded back to 4 after my mercs got too weak (going the other direction through indies.) I've got assassins in every one of his provinces but the capital and he's not expanding any more but right now I'm not in a position to finish him off. I'm hoping to pin him in his capital and dom-kill him as I don't feel like taking the casualties I almost certainly would against his pretender.

I have just encountered Tian Chi and Mictlan, no hostilities yet. I'm cursing the random events--an assassin was in the process of taking an indie province. All the commanders were gone, time to attack--oops, I get the province but now it has a castle that I'm sieging!
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:25 PM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

My girlfriend is in a hospital sick. I'll fix those two issues plus the thrall spell as soon as I'm able.

Quote:
Also, did you do something to the vampire lord? I have recruited some, given them skull staffs and am having them recruit more--the intention is to use them as blood hunters. (I've found a 60% off site, makes them a *GOOD* deal!) The problem is that they won't stay on monthly casting. The new vampire lord shows up but the orders are cancelled
I added new sprite and:
#maxage 2000
#poisonres 90
#coldres 50
#fireres -50
#darkvision 100
#darkpower 2
#regeneration 50
#domsummon20 405
#def 23

Last edited by Amos; November 30th, 2008 at 05:30 PM..
Old December 1st, 2008, 01:07 AM

First Lieutenant

I don't know enough about modding to know if that would mess up it's ability to keep an order.

I fixed some of the immortality problem on my machine. Vs 8 impossible AI's. Two dominion kills so far, I'm at war with two neighbors, at peace with three.

My dominion is eating into Gath's space two levels by now and my dominion down there hasn't spread very well because it's the area I dom-killed Mictlan in not too long ago. On the other side I'm having an awful time pushing my dominion into Marignon. I want a white candle to attack into so I get my vampires back. I picked off one ragged layer of provinces and I haven't managed to push any farther. He's got temples in every province and apparently a strong dominion. The True Bloods are ramping up well, though, I'm now #3 in army size.

I'm probably going to win this.
Old December 1st, 2008, 02:33 AM

Captain

Version 0.27

- Fixed "immortality" descriptions;
- Added description to vampires who are able to domsummon others;
- "True Blood Vampires" are now able to become Masters if GoRed;
- Raised price on "Blood Trap" spell;
- Lowered price on "Create Thralls" spell and fixed its description to reflect that.

Quote:
I don't know enough about modding to know if that would mess up it's ability to keep an order.
It shouldnt.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 07:30 AM

Captain

Added the "Summon Vampire Count" spell.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 10:32 PM

First Lieutenant

I'm about ready to declare this game won. vs 8 Impossible AI's, it's using your previous version but with the summons that are described as immortal actually being immortal.

It's been going slowly because it's been *VERY* hard to push dominion into my neighbor to the north and I'm only fighting in my own dominion for the immortality.

I finally sent out a dozen assassins with stone idols (I didn't actually assassinate with them) and it cracked his dominion, he's collapsing now. While the edge of my dominion remained fixed in the north I pushed the southern edge across half the map to kill Gath--the vampires always following the dominion line.

I'll try your latest revision, I'm thinking the race is too powerful in SP but probably hopeless in MP because it ramps up slowly.
Old December 28th, 2008, 10:51 PM

First Lieutenant

PsiSoldier is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I tested this mod out and on the 3rd turn my capital got attacked by a vampire count independant army with a ton of vampires and thralls. It was enough to wipe out my intial army and everything else I had recruited up to that turn effectively taking me out of the game. That kind of stuff obviously needs to be toned down.

Also it doesnt look like any of your vampires are immortal which takes away any excitement I had had for this mod. So I probably will not investigate further unless you change this in the future. You say you fixed the description for Immortality, but I dont see it at all so I dont know what you meant by that.

Last edited by PsiSoldier; December 28th, 2008 at 10:54 PM..
Old December 28th, 2008, 11:26 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

I would venture to guess Amos had nothing to do with that vampire count army attacking you, I'm pretty sure it's a normal random event that he has no control over.

If the maesters of the blood rose were immortal, and the sacreds, the vampiri would be completely unbeatable so I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. They're quite powerful as it is with heavy armor and a significant amount of regeneration.

Though the sacreds don't really offer that much over the blood legionnaires. Giving up a shield for 3 more armor, 2 more hp and 1 more mr really isn't worth it. I'm not quite sure just what bless you'd use to make up for the lack of a shield... they do have a lot les upkeep though.