.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old December 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.75 - 7th race added: Dragons

Hey how are the orcs doing... I'm thinking from your earlies remarks there might not be enough incentive to go for research..

I'm thinking that an option would be to give the starting domsummons a lighter armour and the real summons and the domsummons of summonable commanders the armour they have now? Or would that make the orcs to weak?
Since these troops will be there in huge amount later in the game changing armour on them might have a pretty strong effect on the race...

On insect males: you don't think that making them domsummon and then having the option of just summoning them (cost a precious turn) would be just as well? that way breaking into space can be done but it would cost you something. To me this solution appeals since going somewhere you are not so strong costs you but you need to anyway
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old December 21st, 2008, 07:57 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Oh, THAT was why I was still playing that orc game, still need to research more. I assume you mean the things that are domsummoned would get lighter armor and the things that you need gems and research to summon would be tougher? Well, my first thought is that sounds horrifying, it would hugely weaken the race probably. On the other hand, armor is pretty flimsy in melee and shields do a lot of the protecting at range anyway. And the orcs are one of the strongest races right now, so perhaps they could use a bit of nerfing. But the summons are still going to have to be pretty good to justify not building an orc hero every turn in every fort, unless the change makes their domsummons a lot weaker. But if it does make them that much weaker it will probably be very hard to survive later in the game.

I suppose if you look at summoning males that way it does work. My biggest problem though is in the very beggining of the game there's not a whole lot you can do if you start on one of the smaller planets. Your dominion and queens ramp up slowly so playing a mp game as insects might be a bit boring for the first year or two.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:59 AM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

For the teleport spell just create dimensional portal bypassing space/time between two points. That way it doesnt matter if two points are divided by light years of space or 1mm. You could call it a "Sub-space Tunnel" and make it a high lvl spell.

For Commonwealth - I could replace all of the swords with guns. But I'll need to find time for this project.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:37 PM

Lieutenant General

Amos:
I think that they'll have to just deal with space for now

Teh commonwealth with more guns might be nice but Í've already modded a lightning stick (or whatever it was again) on one of them so ranged damage is covered somewhat. I think totally removing melee from the game will not make it nicer so having some nations being more melee orientated isn't bad.

If you happen to make the gun slinger I'll be sure to put them in the game though.. have no doubt

Rdonj:
- If the orcs are strong now I think I'll maybe lower their armor a bit on the basic "recruits" they'll keep the same helmet though.
- maybe you just need some males in the insect starting army?
- and if you start on a small planet maybe you need to get more forts fast?
Old December 22nd, 2008, 08:28 PM

General

Possibly males in the starting army wouldn't be bad. Not sure how many you'd need to start taking space indies though.

The insectoids don't recruit with forts so I have no idea what you mean about them building forts. They just have an early dominion problem since they can only get dominion with their god and blood sacrifice, and they need slaves both for sacrificing and also to make commanders/queens.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:30 PM

Lieutenant General

arg damn that's orcs of course.. lol.. could make them start with another queen maybe?
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM

General

Hmm, you could do that, that probably wouldn't be too bad. Just replace the assassin with a queen. It might work.
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM

Lieutenant General

it would speed up the start I'd say..
Old December 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Insect life in space has been made easier.

starting with 2 females, some males and males in PD and the pretender no giving 1 slave/turn. (the last thing I'm not even going to try to explain thematically if the race doesn't need it'll be gone the first too.

Orcs choppers and shooters now have body armor (10 prot) instead of medium body armor

I've given the dragons some changes that will also be implemented in the dragons mod (lower cost for bone biters and higher for ghostdragon and hopefully fixed the deathwraith dragons assassination ability)

A map is being made but progress is slow. I'm busy with the pic and having fun there.. but I'll tell you that making lines will be annoying in the end and then doing the programming even more so and I'm not looking forward too it . (anyone willing to help and create the .map file when I'm done with the pic (you'll even be allowed to change the pic if you want) will certainly be allowed to do so (provided you'll not be slower about it than me.) the map file for the other map should be a good thing the help you (copy paste pop types etc etc)

I'm posting the new files now.. I've also added a few sites and deleted some spells etc etc.. plz try it and if it seems better balanced and working then we'll start a game soon.

Last edited by Aezeal; December 27th, 2008 at 01:28 PM..
Old December 28th, 2008, 09:56 AM

Lieutenant General

Default Re: Dominions 3000 v0.75 - 7th race added: Dragons - update 27-12

Ok the new version has been posted and I'm thinking this should be the version we'll play on unless major problems arise in the next 2 weeks during playtesting.. I'm going to have a son this week though so as usual I can't playtest that much. I'm hoping the excellent dom 3000 playtest team will be able to play this latest version (still called 0.75 though) and see if it's suitable for playing. Complete balance isn't neccesary (we all know vanilla dom 3 has hugely unbalanced nations) and in MP the strenght of the nation isn't everything either. The game will be more for fun and playtesting anyway. I also expect players to report possible loopholes and hugely incorrect stats etc as bugs so I can fix it while the game is busy.

If an army of 50 oni dragons arises (though I've not had reports lately) I'll probably mod in a unbeatable ancient horror as remote summon for my nation (for free) and send one to kill the dragons. (I expect cooperation of the player controlling them and sending them to their doom )

it'll be great fun.

I think I'll start asking llama to set it up and I'll play if we have as few as 3 players (new stuff doesn't always attract lots of visitors.. my other non conventional game I coulnd't get of the ground) and I think there will be 2 other players.