Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in [path]/includes/class_postbit.php(294) : eval()'d code on line 65
Guide LA R'lyeh or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dreamlands - Page 2 - .com.unity Forums
.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:56 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Re: LA R'lyeh or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Dreamlands

Are all R'lyeh pretenders immune to insanity?

I know for certain that enemy pretenders are not immune.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:21 AM
Major General

Squirrelloid is on a distinguished road

Well, as long as I have insomnia...

I started a new game as LA R'lyeh with a random medium map with 10 total players. Pretender:

Archmage awake Tu3 Sl3 De3 Co3 Lk3 Mg0 Dom9
A4E4F4W4N4D4

This results in 0 unused points. So i'm willing to step back from Dom10 as an absolute - Dom9 is probably plenty strong enough and a lot more rainbow friendly. I really want to squeeze some Magic in there, but I keep feeling like I don't need the extra research points since my mages already generate a good number, and thus it feels inferior to rainbowing my pretender.

Its probably possible to cut down the magic a little bit (most sites will be found with X3 instead of X4), and since your early site searching will be entirely aquatic you can base it off the possible sites in oceanic provinces, but I like the ability to give a decent rainbow bless to my void creatures, and getting to 4 also enables virtually all the boosters.

You'll note an astral absence - i have plenty of astral without giving it to my pretender, and why tempt anyone to try and mage duel him?

At the end of year 1 I've only got 6 provinces (mostly due to some unlucky battle results and/or independent compositions - shamblers absolutely destroy most of your troops and i've seen two provinces with them), but i've site searched all my provinces and have reasonable gem income, have seen one 3000 gold event rather late in the year (still using that cash, >2000 remaining), and have 3 fortresses (2 from site searching), 2 labs, 11 starspawn mages, 1 starspawn priest, and a national hero (the aboleth). I researched Conj 2/Thaum 1/Evoc 2/Conj 3 in that order, and am header to Conj 4. Have 4 sea serpents as (part of) my main expansion force, and am realizing that rapid expansion isn't critical here - provinces are really only as good as my ability to site search them.

With a little less risky play and less annoying independents, I'd probably have 8 provinces trivially. I'm also way up in the research game because I'm only buying starspawn mages, and haven't bought a non-commander unit since turn 1. (More attention to units and early expansion could certainly have netted me more provinces at the cost of research, which i decided was more critical).

Important tip: Rename all your mages to their magic paths. This'll make finding the right mage *much* easier.

Edit: Also, not being attacked by stupidly strong independents when you have Luck 3 would be nice.

Last edited by Squirrelloid; June 23rd, 2009 at 04:44 AM..
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:23 AM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
Are all R'lyeh pretenders immune to insanity?

I know for certain that enemy pretenders are not immune.
I'm reasonably sure they are. At least, my archmage has never gone insane in any of 3 games, and i see no reason why he'd have special immunity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squirrelloid For This Useful Post:
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:38 AM

General

Are the heroes immune to insanity?- Cthugul and Auluudh?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:53 AM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithLord View Post
Are the heroes immune to insanity?- Cthugul and Auluudh?
You know, i never really checked. However, as one of my games went through a few *years* of turns with both Cthugul and Auluudh sitting in my capitol, and neither of them was ever insane, my guess is yes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Squirrelloid For This Useful Post:
Old June 23rd, 2009, 07:46 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid
Sure, rp/$ is way lower. Until you realize that *only* the starspawn mages are immune to insanity. So eventually your starspawn priests go insane and start losing research turns. Eventually they become so insane you never get to give them an order again. So their average rp/$ is actually worse than the starspawn mages. And that's just considering their value for research.
That's not true, starspawn priests can go insane yes, but they will never from your dominion - at least I've yet to see it.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM

Corporal

Natpy is on a distinguished road

I think Master Lich is a better choice for the almost same price. With dom10 he is even cheaper.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:17 AM

General

So Illuminated One, how would the starspawn priests go insane if not from the insanity dominion?
And what are you basing that claim on, manual, tests?
Do you make that claim only for the priests or also for some of the other commanders as well, like the starchilds?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated One View Post
Quote:
Sure, rp/$ is way lower. Until you realize that *only* the starspawn mages are immune to insanity. So eventually your starspawn priests go insane and start losing research turns. Eventually they become so insane you never get to give them an order again. So their average rp/$ is actually worse than the starspawn mages. And that's just considering their value for research.
That's not true, starspawn priests can go insane yes, but they will never from your dominion - at least I've yet to see it.
I've seen a starspawn priest go insane. Ok, I don't know for certain it was from dominion, but what else would it be from?
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM

Corporal

Natpy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelloid View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated One View Post
Quote:
I've seen a starspawn priest go insane. Ok, I don't know for certain it was from dominion, but what else would it be from?
Starspawn priests can go insane from the summoning void beings, or from "lost in time and space" event.