BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:42 AM

Corporal

PantherCub is on a distinguished road
Default Crash when loading map in campaign

When I play a random campaign and select edit the map for a battle and then try to use the button "Load custom map", the game will crash after I have selected a map to load.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 11:07 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Crash when loading map in campaign

I have just tried that and have no problems with loading any custom map.

Is your crash coming when you press the load custom map button, or after you have selected a map?.

If it is after you have selected a map - perhaps the map is corrupt. So try loading another map than the one you tried before, and if that loads then the original map is possibly suspect. If not then please let us know which map number, if it is one of the supplied stock maps, or if it is one you made yourself or loaded from elsewhere then please zip it up and attach it to a post.

NB - if the map was for another SP game then naturally it wont load (e.g. WaW, original SP etc).

cheers
Andy
Old September 3rd, 2017, 11:58 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Crash when loading map in campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherCub View Post
When I play a random campaign and select edit the map for a battle and then try to use the button "Load custom map", the game will crash after I have selected a map to load.
I just tried the exact same test as you described:
  • a random campaign
  • select edit the map for a battle
  • then try to use the button "Load custom map"

and had no trouble whatsoever ( so this duplicates Andy's result ) and I tried one map at random from 8 different pages of maps

What you do not tell us is
  1. what nations, month and year you were using
  2. if this is a fully stock game or have you added any third party mods
  3. What OS you are using

You seem to suggest that this happens every time. Given you are the only person to report this the problem seems to be at your end. Try deleting the current installation and redo it..... and if you are using any third party mods no matter what they are....don't install them again until you have re-run the test without them

I have tried 4 more maps since writing this and they all load perfectly....no crashes

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old September 3rd, 2017, 02:14 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

You may also have disk corruption - so it may be useful to run the standard windows disk checking utility. Use the one that looks for lost clusters first, as the bad sector scan can take an overnight run to complete.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Good point.....run a full diagnostic of your HDD

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old September 4th, 2017, 03:01 PM

Corporal

Thanks for the reply and checking on this. It happened four times to me, and I assumed it was a general bug. However, upon closer investigation it turns out that it only seems to happen with maps that I have created myself. I have not been able to provoke the crash with any of the maps that come with the game.

Steps to replicate

1. Select Long campaign as Germany.
2. Buy some core forces.
3. When you get to the buy support units screen, buy some stuff.
4. Then select view map.
5. Select load custom map.
6. Select the attached map.
7. Exit edit map mode.
8. Click done in the buy support forces screen. The game will crash for me, either immediately or during deployment.

The map will load in the map editor, and I can't see what would be wrong with it. It was created by using the map generator and then editing some stuff manually.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Map331.zip (92.9 KB, 112 views)
Old September 4th, 2017, 03:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: Crash when loading map in campaign

Quote:

Steps to replicate

2. Buy some core forces.
4. Then select view map.
7. Exit edit map mode.
8. Click done in the buy support forces screen. The game will crash for me, either immediately or during deployment.
I followed all 8 steps, the only deviation was I renamed the map you provided to 400 so as not to overwrite maps in my folder.

I got the same result as you...the game froze. I tried that same map as a custom map for a scenario and it froze.

I tried it as a custom map for a generated battle and the game froze when I pressed start turn

I then built a map myself as you described..."created by using the map generator and then editing some stuff manually"

Followed the steps you made for purchasing etc. exactly .........and the game ran perfectly

So....... I would say, again, the problem is at your end. How many maps have you made that do this ?..........also, did you "created by using the map generator and then editing some stuff manually" using the in game map editor or did you use the custom map editor. This *may* be the key, my test was with a map made using the in game map editor...... I will test using one made in the custom editor now.......

NO change in my result....game ran flawlessly with the extended map editor map

Old September 4th, 2017, 03:56 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:

Steps to replicate

2. Buy some core forces.
4. Then select view map.
7. Exit edit map mode.
I followed all 8 steps, the only deviation was I renamed the map you provided to 400 so as not to overwrite maps in my folder.

I got the same result as you...the game froze. I tried that same map as a custom map for a scenario and it froze.

I tried it as a custom map for a generated battle and the game froze when I pressed start turn

I then built a map myself as you described..."created by using the map generator and then editing some stuff manually"

Followed the steps you made for purchasing etc. exactly .........and the game ran perfectly

So....... I would say, again, the problem is at your end. How many maps have you made that do this ?..........also, did you "created by using the map generator and then editing some stuff manually" using the in game map editor or did you use the custom map editor. This *may* be the key, my test was with a map made using the in game map editor...... I will test using one made in the custom editor now.......

NO change in my result....game ran flawlessly with the extended map editor map
I created the map in game, in the campaign, when using the edit map option. I had created it for a previous scenario and I wanted to use it for the next scenario.

I mentioned I had got the crash four times. Three times it was with this map and one time with another map created the same way. So it seems the problem is with the maps I create.
Old September 4th, 2017, 04:12 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:

I created the map in game, in the campaign, when using the edit map option. I had created it for a previous scenario and I wanted to use it for the next scenario.

I mentioned I had got the crash four times. Three times it was with this map and one time with another map created the same way. So it seems the problem is with the maps I create.
I created another one just as you described......"created the map in game, in the campaign, when using the edit map option".. I saved it and loaded it in a new campaign and it ran perfectly.

If you have run diskchecks and all is OK with your HD I would consider deleting your game and re-installing it. What OS are you using ??

Don

Old September 4th, 2017, 04:14 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:

I created another one just as you described......"created the map in game, in the campaign, when using the edit map option".. I saved it and loaded it in a new campaign and it ran perfectly.

If you have run diskchecks and all is OK with your HD I would consider deleting your game and re-installing it. What OS are you using ??

Don
I am using Windows 7.