.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 19th, 2008, 07:56 PM

Private

jscott is on a distinguished road
Default Well, I\'m through with the game

It has such great potential, but there is no point in continuing to play SP.

The fact that the AI picks its scales and dominion randomly is absolutely absurd and makes the SP completely unplayable in my opinion. I didn't know enough about the game in my first half dozen or so starts to realize the damage this was causing behind the scenes, but I've seen it firsthand as I started paying attention. Massive death domain wiping out Arco armies; huge armies of AI chaff units being killed by a lack of supplies; etc.

Why the developers can't code something simple to prevent the AI from taking a 3 scaled death when they aren't Ermor or Ryleh is beyond me, but since I can't fix it (RanDom simply will not work for me and I'm not going to fight with it anymore), I just don't see any point to playing.

If 3.16 or beyond fixes this, I'll try to come back, but I don't think that's going to happen since the AI hasn't received any significant improvements in a long time.
Old March 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM

Brigadier General

Shovah32 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Well, I\'m through with the game

Set supplies to 300. The ai should no longer starve its armies.
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM

Major

Tuidjy is on a distinguished road

It's a shame that no one told you that Dominions III is first and foremost a MP
game. I would have never bought it for the SP, as I knew well enough that there
would be little improvement from Dominions II's mediocre AI.

You can make things better by picking the AI pretender, or playing scenario maps,
or using the command line switches that restrict the AI pretender choices. But
I am the wrong person to ask for specifics, I never play SP against the AI... I
just test stuff.

But man, are you missing out on MP!
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Private

Even if the AI doesn't starve its armies, a death scales strategy only works for nations that don't require much gold to produce units. If the AI is randomly picking it, its gutting its own economy and making itself weaker over time (when it should be getting stronger!).

You can't pick the AI pretender. If you start a game as a human player and then set control to the AI, it sets to the normal AI only. The normal AI isn't challenging enough.

I can't use RanDom to create scenario maps, so that's out (there aren't enough maps in the first place that can be used for a long term single player game).

I understood it was a multiplayer game. I probably got close to my money's worth. Its just ridiculous that the designers couldn't take two minutes to make sure the AI was choosing correct scales.

Its not as though you have to make a very hard call on who is going to use death 3 scales. Only 1-2 nations can get by with it!
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

Rathar is on a distinguished road

Sp dominions is sadly boring and easy. MP on the other hand is tricksy and deep.

The AI is especially stupid in this game though. I can't bring myself to play against it anymore, I just start to yawn.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road

Patch? Honestly, I remember seeing this but not really "taking notice" of it. I guess that's because if I want a challenge, I make the map larger and put in more opponents or handicap myself. I agree it's annoying to know a certain percentage of your opponents are going to be no challenge; annoying enough maybe to make it a patch-worthy issue, but the game is definitely playable/difficult for me in SP.

As you can see, I'm not that hardcore ;-)
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:43 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

Quote:
jscott said:

Its not as though you have to make a very hard call on who is going to use death 3 scales. Only 1-2 nations can get by with it!
This is not really true for MP. And as far SP goes, it could improve the AI in a lot ways, to lock it's pretender choices, but it would also make them much more boring. If you truly feel strongly about it you could always start them as human players and set them AI on the first turn. As has been said though, the easy fix for most of the problem is simply to up the world supply level.
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:54 PM

Private

Quote:
quantum_mechani said:
Quote:
jscott said:

This is not really true for MP. And as far SP goes, it could improve the AI in a lot ways, to lock it's pretender choices, but it would also make them much more boring. If you truly feel strongly about it you could always start them as human players and set them AI on the first turn. As has been said though, the easy fix for most of the problem is simply to up the world supply level.
As I said above, I've already tried that. It sets the AI to the normal difficulty level. It won't let you pick anything harder than that. Normal AI is even easier than the higher levels, so its a net result of about zero improvement to give them intelligently designed domains, but force them to be a low difficulty level.

Also as I said above, supply isn't the only issue. Gold is a huge factor as well. If the AI nation is gold-dependent to produce its units, but set at Death 3, then its completely screwed. I've seen this repeatedly. I'll take over 40% of the map or so, be 100 turns into the game or whatever, and run into AI nations with no units because they've killed their own population completely and can't produce any income. Increasing supply is a band-aid that fixes only one aspect of the problem.

The game is perfectly set up to allow no solution to this problem without elaborate mods to create a scenario map for EVERY GAME YOU START. That's a ridiculous way to work around a very simple problem that everyone can see; the designers should just simply limit when the AI takes death scales on its domain to very few circumstances. How hard could that possibly for them?
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:11 PM

Lieutenant General

quantum_mechani is on a distinguished road

The thing is though, the AI is pretty much a pushover by turn 100 in any case, and no meddling with death scale is going to change that.
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
jscott said:
As I said above, I've already tried that. It sets the AI to the normal difficulty level. It won't let you pick anything harder than that. Normal AI is even easier than the higher levels, so its a net result of about zero improvement to give them intelligently designed domains, but force them to be a low difficulty level.
The AI isn't smarter at better than normal difficulty levels. It just gets a bonus to it's income, resources, maybe even supplies and research. So the easy way to emulate the same in a SP game: Take some Turmoil/Sloth/Death/Drain scales and don't spend the design points you win by it. This will make the normal AI that you get after turning a prepared nation to AI into a "better than normal" AI.
Emergency comic relief