.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old December 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM

Sergeant

sgqwonkian is on a distinguished road
Confused OT: I miss this place, and Weird Worlds

Earlier this year, I had two computers die in rapid succession, and as a result, I lost all my mods-in-progress. Backed up, yes, but only to hard drives. Dumb, dumb me. Haven't played the game since, I'm afraid.

Anyhow... I miss this place. Weird Worlds is a heck of a game, and modding is a lot of fun (though punctuated with buggy frustration).
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Corporal

clomaka is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT: I miss this place, and Weird Worlds

indeed. but it's been really quiet around here for a while
Old December 25th, 2008, 07:41 PM

Corporal

Alphasite is on a distinguished road

There were a few mods that were in progress I was following but there hasn't been anything new in a few months.

Maybe things will pick up after the first of the year.
Old December 30th, 2008, 07:45 PM

Corporal

Phlagm is on a distinguished road

The sad thing is that I have 2 more main quests for EWW, and about...hmm...4 races that were in the works. One is pretty close to done too...aside from unique weapons. But the weaknesses in the modding make it so I can't really come up with any sufficiently unique mainquests, and lots of simple triggers that should've worked out easily in a robust system instead fail spectacularly. That stuff was annoying, but the bizarre race cap was what made me stop modding. While the game seems to allow more races, if you add more, the engine will just never pick certain races. The cambrians are completely exiled to the intro screen and combat simulator by this bizarre behavior.

Lately I have been wanting to do some more additions to this mod, but I know it'll just end in frustration, so I don't. Maybe with another patch... But I don't really see them patching it again. If it does get patched, I would appreciate a warning so that we could submit bugs and requests.

Anyway, it's still a fun game, and still play it as much as anything...except Rock Band 2.
Old February 28th, 2009, 01:39 AM

Private

IckyJoelIdeaVole is on a distinguished road

I'm still chugging along on my balance mod. Real life issues have made progress slow, but I put some time into it whenever I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlagm View Post
But the weaknesses in the modding make it so I can't really come up with any sufficiently unique mainquests, and lots of simple triggers that should've worked out easily in a robust system instead fail spectacularly.
Actually, diving into the game with full knowledge of how limited it was in moddability was what drew me to try to tweak the game balance rather than add new content of my own (well, that and my woeful inability to create anything resembling new artwork). Most of the things I've tried to do have worked out in some way or another (with one exception that I'll be posting about seperately). In some ways, trying to find a way to trick the system into doing something it was never designed to do is part of the fun.
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM

Private

Black_Bear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgqwonkian View Post
Earlier this year, I had two computers die in rapid succession, and as a result, I lost all my mods-in-progress. Backed up, yes, but only to hard drives. Dumb, dumb me. Haven't played the game since, I'm afraid.

Anyhow... I miss this place. Weird Worlds is a heck of a game, and modding is a lot of fun (though punctuated with buggy frustration).
I'm with you, I miss this place as well....
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Corporal

chabex is on a distinguished road

Yeah, me too... All the mods (especially my favourite:B5 mod) are great fun but there is no update for them since ages...
Does anybody knows if there will be a official update/ "expansion" for the original game? I wish...
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM

Private

ScreamerSimon is on a distinguished road

I couldn't agree more, my thanks to the makers and the community for 100's of weird journeys deep into even weirder space!
Old August 30th, 2009, 11:14 PM

Private

Bluevoss is on a distinguished road

Lemme just add that I'm a new guy, just coming in and finding this graveyard. Still, I've loaded a bunch of mods and enjoy them all, but my favorite's gotta be EWW. Its got problems - the homeworlds don't seem to be populated - you just sail in and take the place. And also, I've not been able to figure out how to get through that three-sword quest. One I've found in the black hole. Another was on a planet (in a swamp). I think I found an underground place before the quest started, and was wondering if maybe it would have been there, but the quest wasn't running yet. The best I've ever done is 2, and then, when I get to Glory, I'm smoked in quick order.

Any hints?

BTW, I'm an old guy, and I gotta say that I remember watching Star Blazers in VPI when it first came out (got the series on disk now). Love turning that wavemotion gun on capital ships. Its like having my own gong I can ring over and over. Just great....
Old September 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM

Private

EWAdams is on a distinguished road
Default A hint for you.

The final piece of the puzzle in the Osiris Quest is not an obvious object; it is within an object that you are already familiar with and think that you know well. Try manipulating something that you find.