Notices

Old January 16th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Captain

Marcello is on a distinguished road
Default Re: North Korea errors report

Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
?? shame shame.

Bang, bang maxwell's silver hammer comes down on your head.
I don't get it

Also

Quote:
Formation 22 Mech AT/AA Sec
Unit n. 69 107mm B11 RCL should be replaced by unit 431 Malutka Team.
Should have been

Quote:
One of the two Units n. 69 107mm B11 RCL should be replaced by unit 431 Malutka Team

Last edited by Marcello; January 16th, 2010 at 08:27 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Marcello For This Useful Post:
Old January 16th, 2010, 11:52 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gila View Post
?? shame shame.

Bang, bang maxwell's silver hammer comes down on your head.
I don't get it

Ignore him.

Don
Old February 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM

Sergeant

redcoat2 is on a distinguished road

I’m not sure about Unit 461 in the North Korean OOB. It is a SU-100 with a start date in 1951 during the Korean War. I don’t think the North Koreans used the SU-100 during that war. I have double-checked a couple of books about the Korean War and a publication about the SU-100 and none of them mentions their use during the conflict.

The SIPRI Trade Register claims that the Soviets delivered 100 SU-100s to the North Koreans between 1965 and 1968. They are presumably represented in the game by Unit 462 – which currently has a start date in 1968.

Sources:

Osprey’s Men-At-Arms Series 174: The Korean War 1950-53
Concord's Tank Warfare in Korea 1950-53
Armour in Profile 21: SU.85 and SU.100
SIPRI Trade Register

Last edited by redcoat2; February 15th, 2010 at 06:05 PM..
Old February 16th, 2010, 11:46 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat2 View Post
I’m not sure about Unit 461 in the North Korean OOB. It is a SU-100 with a start date in 1951 during the Korean War. I don’t think the North Koreans used the SU-100 during that war. I have double-checked a couple of books about the Korean War and a publication about the SU-100 and none of them mentions their use during the conflict.

The SIPRI Trade Register claims that the Soviets delivered 100 SU-100s to the North Koreans between 1965 and 1968. They are presumably represented in the game by Unit 462 – which currently has a start date in 1968.

Sources:

Osprey’s Men-At-Arms Series 174: The Korean War 1950-53
Concord's Tank Warfare in Korea 1950-53
Armour in Profile 21: SU.85 and SU.100
SIPRI Trade Register
To be honest I have alreay got burned at least once trusting SIPRI for availability dates. Let met illustrate: the iraqi OOB had once OT-64s available since 1965. This seemed way too early, as it was just entering in service then according to all sources. SIPRI gave 1981-1982 for delivery to Iraq, which seemed to make more sense. So I suggested a change to 1981, as current. Then a year ago I found detailed source, with photographic evidence, that it was alreay in service in 1980 and in brigade strenght no less. Another one stated that the transfer happened in the 70's.
No sources list SU-100s in frontline combat during the korean war but how do we know that there wasn't a company ot two in reserve somewhere in 1951-1953? The North koreans got several shipments of material in the Spring of 1951 when their army was rebuilt after the debacle which followed the Incheon landing, including items such as 152mm guns which had been almost non existent before. SU-100s were hardly restricted stuff by then.
Old February 16th, 2010, 02:02 PM

Sergeant

redcoat2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcello
No sources list SU-100s in frontline combat during the korean war but how do we know that there wasn't a company ot two in reserve somewhere in 1951-1953? The North koreans got several shipments of material in the Spring of 1951 when their army was rebuilt after the debacle which followed the Incheon landing, including items such as 152mm guns which had been almost non existent before.
I don’t think they should be in the OOB unless there is some hard evidence that they were in reserve somewhere. Concord’s Tank Warfare in Korea looks at various Soviet shipments of armoured vehicles during the Korean War. It doesn’t mention the SU-100.

At the moment someone playing a Korean War game as the North Koreans can field SU-100s when they weren’t used in the war and when they probably weren’t in Korea at all.

Quote:
To be honest I have alreay got burned at least once trusting SIPRI for availability dates.
SIPRI is like most other sources. Best when confirmed by a another source. It is interesting that Unit 462 has a 1968 start date. It matches the delivery completion date given by SIPRI.
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:07 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
I don’t think they should be in the OOB unless there is some hard evidence that they were in reserve somewhere. Concord’s Tank Warfare in Korea looks at various Soviet shipments of armoured vehicles during the Korean War. It doesn’t mention the SU-100.

At the moment someone playing a Korean War game as the North Koreans can field SU-100s when they weren’t used in the war and when they probably weren’t in Korea at all.

Just becasue a source doesn't mention something doesn't mean it wasn't there. Is "Concord’s Tank Warfare in Korea" THE definative source **everybody** turns to when the Korean war is mentioned ? There may have been only a handful.

I cannot ask the guy who originally built the OOB where he got the information these were available. For all I know he had great sources or just guessed but right now what I'm hearing is a lot of "I’m not sure" and "probably weren’t"

I found a source that says "The SU-85 remained in service longer in North and Vietnam" yet we don't even have the SU-85 in the game in NK OR NVA. Maybe someone would like to look into that issue ?? "PERHAPS" that 1951 SU-100 is supposed to be a SU-85 ??? That I would belive as the ammo would be common to the T-34/85

Quote:
To be honest I have alreay got burned at least once trusting SIPRI for availability dates.
Quote:
SIPRI is like most other sources. Best when confirmed by a another source. It is interesting that Unit 462 has a 1968 start date. It matches the delivery completion date given by SIPRI.
So you point is .... what ? becasue one date matches therefore this source is reliable to the tenth decimal place ?? Marcello already told you SIPRI isn't 100% reliable and I know there have been other instances we caught concerning Greek equipment. As you said it's best confirmed by another source then site the 1968 date when you said earlier "SIPRI Trade Register claims that the Soviets delivered 100 SU-100s to the North Koreans between 1965 and 1968"

So if they shipped them starting in 1965 why is 1968 right ? And because one start date in the game matches a SIPRI delivery completion date that means....??? What ?

I appreciate the info you provide but expect me to question it from time to time. I will be HAPPY to remove it when we get beyond "I’m not sure" and "probably weren’t"

Don

Last edited by DRG; February 16th, 2010 at 07:20 PM..
Old February 17th, 2010, 01:53 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Unit 171 and 172 76mm ZiS3 Sec and 76mm ZiS3 Sec +
Their number of guns should be reduced from three to two. They were used in a “four guns per battery and twelve guns per battalion“ organization.
There are 4 weapon slots in a unit.

4 gun off-map batteries should generally be represented by one 4 gun unit. That reduces the unit count by not having tiddly little 2 gun sections.

2x3 gun sections are only used for 6 gun batteries, since 6 into 4 won't go !

Andy
Old February 17th, 2010, 09:38 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

There's a reason it's done this way on this OOB. I'll go over it in a PM

Don
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Captain

Quote:
Ok, I think I have an idea: take that volume and check the references. If it uses at least some russian sources/research then it might be worth trusting it on this point. If it is all based on western reports then it might be be better leave it alone.
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Captain

I have done a bit of further research on this matter.
It appears that the north koreans may indeed have had some
SU-85Ms in service, albeit telling apart a SU-85M from a SU-100 in an old pic isn't a 100% thing.

If deemed worthwhile it could be included by adding a clone of unit 461 armed with weapon n. 90 85mm S-53 44, name change to SU-85M and increased ammo load to 48 rounds.