.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old February 19th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UnitGen - Random nations with procedural sprites!

kianduatha gave an awesome idea for naming units. Now apart from some very long nation names instead of "heavy archer", "javelineer", "spearman", "infantry", "lancer" you get stuff like (nation names bolded):

Haakagian Archer
Uzumish Chariot
Vaainine Heavy Infantry
Tenchiide Lancer
Zasisic Crossbowman
Gomirian Falchioneer
Zekkan Axe Thrower
Gomnagomish Heavy Serpent Cavalry

In the future I might make just the elites get this kind of naming. We'll see.
Old February 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

23th of Feb version up.

I worked quite a bit on filters that go through units and give them stuff if they fulfill the requirements. Currently there's nothing very noticeable with this since filters are handling just bonus weapon and dual wielding generation, but those two have both changed.

Dual wielding can now convert any unit to a dualwielder instead of turning shields to onehanded weapons. This makes the 5% dual wield chance higher in effect and I'll have to consider lowering it if it generates dual wielders for nations without primitive / dualwielding / berserking tags too often.

Bonus ranged weapon generation algorithm has been changed. Nations posses a bonus weapon affinity now, which is from 0 to 1. Currently it's given completely randomly, but I'm fairly sure I'll make some tags affect this as well as possibly giving extra affinity to such bonus ranged weapons that suit the national tags. Bonus weapon affinity determines two things. How heavy units can get bonus weapons and what weapon-shield configurations can get them. Currently with an affinity of 1 you'll probably see tons of bonus weapons, but the heaviest possible units still won't get them. Also some bonus weapons (chakrams and sticks & stones) have additional limitations and standards ignore the affinity completely, but have a limit in generateability. This feature is something that will recieve tweaks at some point since it still is far from perfect.

I've also worked on trimming nation unit rosters since obviously every human nation won't have 4 ranged, 1 chariot, 4-9 infantry and 2-4 horsemen. Currently nations get 8 to 13 units if I recall correctly. This'll get heavy tweaks - currently it's a very rough algorithm, but in general generates fairly good lineups.

Elitefying some units is pretty much an obvious next step since that is heavily tied with filters. That does need a bit of extra work compared to just adding filters though.
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:29 AM

Sergeant

shatner is on a distinguished road

Those are some really cool developments elmokki. This creation of yours is getting pretty snazzy and I, along with many others, I'm sure, look forward to its continued refinement.
Old February 24th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

Two major features shown, neither is even nearly ready enough for me to bother update the dev version.

- Commanders get ran by the elitefying filter at strength 2, giving them commandery stats and looks Sometimes there just aren't suitable helmets though, but I plan to add some light ones and a lizard full helmet one to remedy that. The tower shields there are coincidence.

- Mage generator can generate 3 tiers of mage sprites. Still needs tweaking, but results aren't bad at all right now most of the time. I do see the graphic bug on the lower row of mages, it'll get fixed.
Old February 25th, 2012, 07:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

Today I added nets and poison darts as bonus weapons, rare ones though. Net required a minor feature addition since it's a bonus weapon and should be generated as such but it replaces a shield. I saw some net cavalry and first though about removing nets from mounted units and chariots, but then again if cavalry sacrifices a shield for a net, then that's what happens. Twohanders can use net without any penalties, so it's definitely a better weapon for them. Them getting it is fairly rare though.

I also reworked Randomocalypse site name generation files and code so that it now sometimes shows both primary and secondary path of a site (if there are such) in the name and it now supports dual-path names too.

And mage generation got some work too in terms of restructuring code. I get some good looking mage setups now in terms of sprites but there's no code for magic paths yet.
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:35 PM

Second Lieutenant

http://koti.kapsi.fi/elmokki/dom3/un...26_2_12-v2.zip

I might release a v3 today if I feel productive. This includes magic paths for primary mages and one kind of secondary mage magic path set that's duplicated to every single secondary mage at the moment.

Also an easy .exe file for windows users.
Old February 26th, 2012, 05:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

http://koti.kapsi.fi/elmokki/dom3/un...26_2_12_v3.zip

18 minutes before it would've been 27_2_12.

It actually REMOVES secondary mage paths as they were bugged as hell. It has a complete rewrite of primary mage paths.
Old February 26th, 2012, 06:45 PM

Second Lieutenant

http://koti.kapsi.fi/elmokki/dom3/un...en_27_2_12.zip

Derp, now it should finally be bug free. Also generates all possible primary mages of certain path set per nation.
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:21 PM

Second Lieutenant

Primary mages can be now generated with following patterns for magic:
3-3-?
3-2-1-?
3-2-?
3-1-1-?
3-1-2?
3-2? (linked)
3-2?
3-?
2-2-2? (linked)
2-2-2?
2-1-2? (linked)
2-1-1-2? (linked)
2-1-1-2?
2-1-1-1?
2-1-1-1-?
2-3? (linked)
1-3? (linked)
1-1-1-2? (not in 27-2-12 version)

In general randoms are such that only one path can reach level 4 and none of the paths can reach level 5. Exceptions to this is the linked 2-2-2? which allows both of the two paths to be level 4. Current version generates one of every setup for test, but in the future some will be rarer than the others.

I just went through secondaries and tertiaries of MA and I believe this is a fairly comprehensive list of levels possible for secondaries and tertiaries. Do tell if you can think of one more to these or primaries! One setup is listed only once even if it is available for multiple nations.

Sec:
1-1 - MA Tien'chi - caponly primary (7 picks)
2-1-1 - MA Pythium - caponly primary (7 picks)
1-2? - MA Man - caponly primary (6 picks)
2-1 - MA Marignon - caponly primary (6 picks)
2-1-? - MA Ashdod - caponly primary (3 picks), special
2-1-1-? - MA MAchaka - caponly primary (6 picks)
2-1-1 - MA Agartha - caponly primary (4 picks)
3 - MA Abysia - caponly primary (6 picks), special
2? - MA Ashdod - caponly primary (3 picks), special
1-1-1-? - MA Eriu - caponly primary (7 picks)

Tert:
1 - MA Pythium
1-? - MA Man
? - MA Tien'chi
1-1-1 - MA MAchaka
2 - MA Abysia

The 2? ones will probably get linked and non-linked versions and the ones where randoms would give level 3 will probably have versions where they can and where they can't.
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM

Second Lieutenant

Nation naming, especially Lizard one, was pretty crappy far too often so I rewrote it.

Now nation name files consist of three files. Long syllables (misleading name), short syllables and suffixes. Nation name format is: Long syllable + 33% chance of short syllable + suffix. Idea is to simply have tons of entries for especially long syllables and suffixes to make nations varied enough.

You can also define very precisely what a name part can be after or before. Syntax is for example:
test "cantbebefore consonant a" "cantbebefore consonant e" "derp"
which would make the name part unable to be generated before anything that starts with:
- any two letters where first letter is an consonant and the second a
- any two letters where first letter is an consonant and the second b
- derp

The keywords that contain multiple single letters are consonant, vowel, softconsonant and hardconsonant. Here's what they contain:
String[] vowels = { "a", "e", "i", "o", "u", "y", "å", "ä", "ö", "ü" };
String[] consonants = { "b", "c", "d", "f", "g", "h", "j", "k", "l", "m", "n", "p", "q", "r", "s", "t", "w", "v", "x", "z" };
String[] softconsonants = { "f", "h", "j", "l", "m", "n", "r", "s", "w", "v", "x", "z" };
String[] hardconsonants = { "b", "c", "d", "g", "k", "p", "q", "t" };

So basically if your limitation is "hardconsonant vowel" you get every single combination where the first letter is a hard consonant and the second letter is a vowel. If your limitation is "hardconsonant derp" you get: bderp, cderp, dderp, gderp, kderp, pderp, qderp, tderp. So yeah, you should be able to limit generation far more than you will ever need to.

My test files are written white humans in mind, but here goes a set of 50 names and with heavy recycling of current name parts, especially suffixes, a great deal of which are by kianduatha:

Ondnuiu, Duxsoum, Emia, Arcoheim, Dogegard, Doror, Cunvia, Ishnom, Swedod, Gilmitha
Lunbalstan, Warmon, Wuhullum, Nefland, Lamsorea, Helmon, Ermdod, Norgaor, Faeurnia, Lejiheim
Etten, Ishvik, Krophale, Funangea, Gaeilna, Pyjaland, Burvavik, Caance, Ugliburg, Gomovo
Netaimer, Moran, Eren, Agth, Vanmon, Warjais, Oben, Kritia, Narmark, Hamheim
Ashugal, Olaance, Erbogundy, Karnoiraine, Faeengmark, Osaany, Dorni, Ungmia, Mortium, Elegard

I won't implement these to the nation generation itself before I have sets for all the three current races, but NameGen.jar will generate names based on longsyllables.txt, shortsyllables.txt and suffixes.txt at UnitGen root directory so you can write lists yourself and test them easily and submit good lists for UnitGen releases!