.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 5th, 2005, 10:44 PM

Corporal

Pepper is on a distinguished road
Default Do you like to design maps?

I'm in the process of designing what I think should be an interesting game variant that utilizes the SPMBT engine. The backstory finds player #1 in control of a USMC MEU as a formerly neutral foreign nation has just fallen in a military coup (player #2, Red). I will play as the "referee" and I will control the civilians, and interact in the game on the fly to keep it interesting.

I am envisioning that the game takes place on a 3x3 grid of 200x160 maps (9 maps in all). Column #1 (far left) would consist of 3 beach maps (off of which the USMC units are stationed). The remaining 2 columns would be land based. The far right column's right border would be a mountain range.

Player #1 (USMC) would be able to enter his units on any of the 3 maps in column #1. I have researched the components of an MEU and player #1 will have those units at his disposal. Player #1 need not insert everything immediately -- i.e. I will keep track of his units that are "off map" until he indicates that he wishes to insert them that round (at which time I will edit the appropriate maps to include his entering units for movement). Player #2 will control his units that will start off in "realistic" positions, and player #2's rules of engagement will limit what can be done with his units prior to his realizing that he is being invaded. I have devised a set of rules that when combined with some appropriate maps should limit any type of edge-of-the-map exploit tactics from Red.

I have come up with what I hope will prove to be interesting variations on the game, in addition to having such a large battlefield. In short, I intend to remain involved in the game not merely as a passive spectator, but to adjust the game on a dynamic ongoing basis to reflect the operations.

Without giving away all the ideas I have, here are a few: Some of the "civilians" may actually be intelligence operatives controlled by the US forces (but would appear as civilian non-combatants to the Red player). Others will undoubtedly be loyal to (i.e. controlled by and acting as the eyes and ears for) the Red team. The assets available to the Red player will vary based on the game's progress (e.g. lose the airport and Red loses his airforce). I hope to further model various aspects of the engagement through actively editing the OOB between rounds. For example, if the USMC controls or destroys the power grid, it strikes me that a slight change to Red's core troop morale would be appropriate. If the USMC destroys Red's radio tower, thereby crippling Red's propoganda machinery, another morale adjustment would be appropriate. If the USMC captures the radio tower and starts to use it for its own propoganda, a counter-insurgency may be born, or additional humint assets may be recruited. If the USMC suffers a devastating defeat, or excessive losses, their rules of engagement may be altered by the "top brass" from home. I hope to find additional ways to make the game respond to real world tactics, strategies and plans.

Unfortunately, I am not a good map maker. This is a call out for anyone who would be interested in helping me out by designing one, some or all of these maps (again, 9 in all). I know what types of structures I want in the various maps, so I have some guidance, but what I need is someone who can crank out the maps and would be willing to give this project a shot. Hell, if you do volunteer and do the maps, and you want to play one side once it's done -- you've got a guaranteed spot.

Thanks in advance.
Old July 6th, 2005, 03:25 AM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you like to design maps?

Hi Pepper,

You ve got some good ideas there!

Good luck with your project.

cheers,
Pyros
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pepper said:
I'm in the process of designing what I think should be an interesting game variant that utilizes the SPMBT engine. The backstory finds player #1 in control of a USMC MEU as a formerly neutral foreign nation has just fallen in a military coup (player #2, Red). I will play as the "referee" and I will control the civilians, and interact in the game on the fly to keep it interesting.

I am envisioning that the game takes place on a 3x3 grid of 200x160 maps (9 maps in all). Column #1 (far left) would consist of 3 beach maps (off of which the USMC units are stationed). The remaining 2 columns would be land based. The far right column's right border would be a mountain range.
Nice to see others setting up and running these type campaigns.

This sounds similiar in concept to the Island Civil War Campaign I am currently running so if you want to look over my materials and use anything I already have in place feel free to do so. We are actually in the last turn of the operation so I expect the secure forum areas I have set up to be opened soon to the general public.

I don't know if I will have much time to help make you any maps BUT I would like to help out any way I can to keep this project moving forward. Will you have a supporting website?

Send me an email if you have any questions or let me know what I can do to help out.
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Corporal

AB is on a distinguished road

Pepper, check out the 'three jungle maps' i posted in this sub-forum. One of the maps is of the west coast of Africa. The map is partly someone elses map, not all original work. One thing i did on it was add 'mud' to all the forest areas, so the only way to move vehicles was to use the trails. This sort of thing can be quite appropriate, since in many parts of the world (think Jungle and rainforest), vehicles just can't travel off road at all.

To make the map you are talking about, it would be best to wait for the WinSPMBT CDROM, which will have expanded map editing tools, including cuttng and paste functions.
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Double_Deuce said:
Nice to see others setting up and running these type campaigns.

This sounds similiar in concept to the Island Civil War Campaign I am currently running so if you want to look over my materials and use anything I already have in place feel free to do so.
Yes, the idea was spawned in part by seeing your campaign! I think your project is in some ways more ambitious -- more players, more scenarios, etc. I view mine as being less of a traditional SPMBT campaign (with specific scenario maps) and more of an ongoing, dynamic single scenario. If the players are enjoying it, and I'm enjoying it, I can use reinforcements, etc. to keep up the good fight. Lots of flexibility. In some ways its like an RPG using SPMBT as the combat engine/piece tracker.

Quote:
Double_Deuce said:
Will you have a supporting website?
It probably won't be necessary, but who knows. I was planning on simply sending individualized SITREPs to each player at the start of their turn.

Quote:
Double_Deuce said:
Send me an email if you have any questions or let me know what I can do to help out.
thanks -- I really appreciate that. I think your experience will prove invaluable in helping me get this thing off the ground. But of course first I need some good maps
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Corporal

Quote:
AB said:
Pepper, check out the 'three jungle maps' i posted in this sub-forum. One of the maps is of the west coast of Africa. The map is partly someone elses map, not all original work. One thing i did on it was add 'mud' to all the forest areas, so the only way to move vehicles was to use the trails. This sort of thing can be quite appropriate, since in many parts of the world (think Jungle and rainforest), vehicles just can't travel off road at all.
I like that idea - limiting passability to trails. I may steal it
I'll check out the maps this evening when home from work.

Quote:
AB said:To make the map you are talking about, it would be best to wait for the WinSPMBT CDROM, which will have expanded map editing tools, including cuttng and paste functions.
Yes, I took a look at the CDROM and I think those tools would be very helpful. I'll continue refining the content ideas so that once the CD is out if anyone wants to do a map, or 2, or 5, I can give them a very detailed outline on my vision.
Old July 20th, 2005, 09:23 PM

Corporal

Never mind on this project, after learning more about the editor I just dont think I can make this happen
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:38 AM

Major

Quote:
Pepper said:
Never mind on this project, after learning more about the editor I just dont think I can make this happen
What do you see as the biggest obstacle preventing you from moving forward?
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:48 PM

Corporal

Well, I think tracking each units strength and ammo and morale etc. etc. manually is just going to be impossible. Anytime a unit crosses map borders -- it would be a nightmare. I'd have to manually reconstruct the unit in the editor. On top of that, much of the USMC force is customized, making the tracking/reconstruction process that much more difficult.
Finally, I think as I've played a few PBEMs and gotten a better feel for the 'pace' of a PBEM, the scale I was contemplating just wouldn't work too well as the game would likely take a very, very long time to play out.
So, instead, I'm just finishing up a traditional scenario.
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:57 PM

Major

Quote:
Pepper said:
Well, I think tracking each units strength and ammo and morale etc. etc. manually is just going to be impossible. Anytime a unit crosses map borders -- it would be a nightmare. I'd have to manually reconstruct the unit in the editor. On top of that, much of the USMC force is customized, making the tracking/reconstruction process that much more time-sensitive.
There are some "creative" alternatives that I use that might help with this. Try to avoid overthinking what you want to do. It'll jut leave you with severe sleep deprivation. You can keep it simple yet still fun.