.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old November 15th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Private

lopezonline is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Blackhorse 11th ACR delay vs 117th GMRR advanc

I heard about thermal defeating smoke, it was inpenetreble to thermal sights beacause of it's high temprature, but i can't give you any specific intel. Mayby it was just rumor, but this info is from "Military magazine" so... mayby it's true. And come to think of it... i wonder why WinSPMBT doesn't have implanted "smoke generators" on tanks... i know that something like that exists...
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:30 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
lopezonline said:
I heard about thermal defeating smoke, it was inpenetreble to thermal sights beacause of it's high temprature, but i can't give you any specific intel. Mayby it was just rumor, but this info is from "Military magazine" so... mayby it's true. And come to think of it... i wonder why WinSPMBT doesn't have implanted "smoke generators" on tanks... i know that something like that exists...
for some data on types of smoke that blind IR - see the table in the section USE OF SMOKE in FM 7-20 ch7

(Which suggests that we should terminate/reduce any laser rangefinder advantages through smoke it seems?)

And the best way to deal with an enemy with TI and other IR devices is dust (not modelled in SP games) - best done really by dropping artillery barrages onto the enemy position perhaps? - or arrange a convenient sandstorm!

As to vehicle smoke generators - how exactly would you implement them in the game?. Where does the smoke go - in the tank's own hex, or one behind it?. Do you lay it when moving from hex to hex only - if so in the vacated hex or the one behind?. when do you allow the user to switch it on and off - if on and off in the same hex, the user could "magically" make a really thick screen by repeated unlimited switching on and off... Oh - and if you create smoke in a hex, then you cannot use the UNDO function, either.

So - yes we looked at it in the contrext of the SP system, but it was too horrendous to do, and in real life it is really not of much use anyway - you cover everyone behind you (and blind them with choking part-burned diesel fumes) while the lead (smoking) elements are out in the open uncovered waiting to be picked off.

Cheers
Andy
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Private

lopezonline is on a distinguished road

Wow... i didn't know it is so complex :| You are right man, and worst of all is that tank moving at high speed would lay thinner smoke than one moving at low speed... and i supose there are many, many for problem to be solved for such unimportant thing, it's in oposition to "economy of force" during game making But i think you should consider some kindes of smoke and dust to reduce range of TI and IR sights... i supose even some Air to Ground wepons would be unable to get lock on on targets. I know that this things are mayby hard to implant but... WinSPMBT is one o the best startegies i ever played and i hope it will be even better. Cheers man good work with the game.
Old November 16th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Corporal

Siddhi is on a distinguished road

interesting comments, i also agree it would be interesting (although of course not vital) to have a button under options - IR PENETRATE SMOKE YES/NO. i was thinking about putting together a quick cav scenario on the defense that get's hit with the "special smoke" and has its optics cut from 40 to 20 (feels about right).

while i am at it two completly unrelated questions

a. i would like to mod destroyed (perferably burning) enemy vehicles in a scen; how do i do that best?

b. i would also like to simulate depleated amo for infantry (needing resuply, i.e. LAWs). if i however manually adjust the e.g. LAW numbers (say 1 for a squad) at the beginning won't it just become the default number for the unit, and will not resuply to the orginal default level (say 6)?

cheers ,S
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

The max potential ammo load for a unit with regards to resupply is that of the weapon in the same slot of the template unit. For example, for the LZ X-ray campaign we needed HE rounds and no HEAT rounds for the LAW teams but the standard unit had 0 HE and 8 HEAT rounds. Which meant that with resupply (which was an important factor in the whole setup) the LAW teams would get the 'wrong' ammo, even if it had started out with only HE rounds. So we used the 90mm RR (HE) instead as the template. That has 12 HE rounds and no HEAT. But we did change the weapon in slot 1 to M72 LAW. But because the template unit had 12 HE ammo locked for that slot, that was what the LAW would get on resupply (if we had made slot 1 a M16 rifle, that too would have gotten no more than 12 HE rounds with resupply, so be careful what weapon you put in which slot if you alter units amnually when you're thinking about using ammo supply as an important part of the scenario).

So if you didn't change weapons it'll resupply back to the max.

Narwan
Old November 17th, 2006, 06:05 AM

Corporal

Siddhi is on a distinguished road

great narwan thanks.

any tips about destroyed vehicles? just put 0 for crew?