.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 26th, 2007, 11:36 PM

Corporal

MartialDoctor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Introduce yourself!! :-)

Yep, Stardock rebate offer here too. I haven't received the game yet but it should be here next week.

I'm a 28 year old living in Boulder, CO. Just graduated with a Masters in Oriental Medicine. So I do all that Acupuncture and Chinese herbology.

I play all sorts of games but lean towards the strategy types (both good RTS or turn based), FPS, and RPG.

I'm glad I ran into Dominion 3... the demo has totally sucked me in. I'm looking forward to having the full game and joining in the multiplayer games that seem fairly prevalent.
Old November 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wokeye is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I'm a 30yo Environmental Engineer living in Dubbo, Australia.

Just found Dom3 and loving it. I played early Warlords/Master of Magic/Civ/Total War so right at home

Currently working on getting better at single player to get my skills up for MP, trying to convince my friends to play!
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road

I've been playing turn based strategy games since around the age of five. They were just relatively simple board games back then, Risk, Stratego and the like. Given that I am now 48 years old, things have evolved a lot and my gaming interests have grown along side. I discovered both role playing games and war games pretty much at the same time at the age of 18, so 30 years ago. My interest quickly grew to a virtual obsession with point build design systems, an obsession which after a couple of decades has at least receded into a mere fascination.

My favorite games back then had massive rule books, binders inches thick when everything was collated. Star Fleet Battles, Advanced Squad Leader, the Europa war game series were my bread and butter, Axis and Allies was a game children played as far as I was concerned. My game boards covered ping pong tables. High Guard and Trillion Credit Squadron ate up a year and a half of my life, the Hero Games System more than that. I was a hard core gaming fanatic. It inevitably became my job where I managed a hobby game store for ten years. For those years, there was virtually no one on the planet who knew more about gaming than me.

About fifteen years ago, computer games started taking over both the market and my interest. I've never been a fan of first person shooters or real time gaming. Anything where victory requires reflexes or an intuitive recollection of a zillion esoteric key stroke shortcuts is totally out of my league. I suck at any such game. I like to think, to analyze the situation and plan strategy. I've tried online multiplayer role playing games and would be happy to enjoy them if they featured real time chat within the game client (to my knowledge, there has only been one such game released to date, and yes I enjoyed playing it). Solitary RPGs where I can move at my own pace or turn based games have always been my style. RPGs with a turn based combat resolution are among my favorites (Fallout, Jagged Alliance, etc.)

Master of Magic I adored when it first came out. I still have Master of Orion on my system and it still gets played. Civilization stole years from me. I've purchased literally hundreds of computer games over the years, played most of them for but a few weeks and then on to the next. Those that I go back to repeatedly are few and far between. I prefer games with a lot of meat to them. It has been a constant frustration to me that pen and paper games could be insanely complex, but computer games, where one can have a computer to assist with the complexity, those almost invariably have ludicrously simplistic game mechanics. I understand how market forces have driven the current domination of simplistic 'twitch' games, but I very much regret it.

I first discovered Dominions in 2004 and played Dom2 extensively. I only recently purchased Dom3 and it has again rekindled my interest. I expect Dominions is one of those games that will stay on my system to be returned to year after year. It has the level of detail and scope that I liked in the games of yore. All it is missing is a point build system for race design. But DrPraetorious is working on that and I am paying close attention.
Old December 1st, 2007, 11:26 PM

Private

GunslingerV is on a distinguished road

Hiya everyone;

Just received my copy of Dom 3 in mail today! I'm a SE, GC, HoMM, AoW, Civ series fan, and finally decided to try Dominions out -> instant hook.

Time to do some extensive SP training b4 attempting MP
Old December 2nd, 2007, 02:26 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Welcome then.
You should find the forums an excellent resource.
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Sergeant

Nosantee is on a distinguished road

(^O^)/ Hajimema****e! Nosa desuu~

I am a 19 yearold student studying animation. Fear me, I forget no detail! (*smile*)
I just picked up this game so I am a new, and sadly the computer always kills me.
However! Since finding this foro I have not died so hard lately (There was many things I did not know what they did. Example: Bless, I thought it was automatic give to all troops, not just sacred who was blessed) and knowing what is really good (or bad) and should (not) be used is helpful also. (Production/Sloth Scale talk is interesting)
MP seems more good though because, unlike the PC people may not attack if you ask not to~ so I look forward to my first MP game (Be nice ^^; I die easy)
But do not be mistaken! If you hurt my beloved people living inside my country, I will yell "Shinjimae!" and see that your country will burn, and your weakly pretender has his blood boil!

Now I just must wait for the game to arrive from Amazon so that I can input a real key. (No patch and MP ability makes the game... Not as good) I'm dieing from the wait. (only 3-5 more days)

minna-san ni au no o tanoshimi ni shimasu!
PS: I am in the mIRC chat often, if needed you can find me over there.
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:53 AM

Sergeant

Beorne is on a distinguished road

I'm 36, I have a phd on Computer science and work on Industrial software (control systems to make quality inspection usng infra-red, xray and chemical sensors). I live with my girlfriend in a town in the middle-north of Italy (between Rimini and Bologna).

I've played rpg for a life (d&d, warhammer, gurps) and crpg (in particular old rpg on PC and lot of jrpg on the playstation systems). I like very much turn based strategy and fantasy, and Dominion was a wonderful found.
Non in my ever less free time I play Dom3, read (now I'm in dhe middle of Martins opera) and play board games (I have over 80 of them, from old school avalon hill to modern german boardgames). I read comics, in particular some manga (vagabond, lone wolf, blame, eden).
I liked very much seiv but I can't "get into" sev, the interface has stopped me. I don't like real time games of all sorts and fantasy miniature battles.

If you like fantasy is there in Italy a very nice festival in a wonderful medieval town, Lucca, named "Lucca comics ad gaemes".

Ci si sente sul forum,
Ciao!
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:15 AM

Private

Mr_Dark is on a distinguished road

Hi all- 37 year old Texan here. My father developed military simulations so I started gaming at an early age. Today, when I have time, I mostly hover between RPG and strategy, though I go for long periods without gaming sometimes. However, I know my job will have me traveling for the next two years, and Dominions is perfect for a business laptop and long layovers.

In real life I play a level 5 Earth / 2 Water geologist, and spend my time exploring for a major oil company. Most recently I got to drive a robot around at the edge of the continental shelf, mapping a submarine canyon. There were no aboleths, but we're still reviewing the sonar data for the Basalt City...
Old December 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

That sounds like a cool job, Mr. Dark. Except for the part about going long periods without gaming sometimes.
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Private

Mr_Dark is on a distinguished road

Actually, it is a really cool job. Evil, very evil, but cool. As for the lack of game time, I think I blame that on the family more than the job - which is pretty 9-5ish.

So, question - this game looks easily moddable. Last night I built a map file for Zen's Europe map with the 'historical' start locations (Ermor in Rome, C'tis in Egypt, Van in Norway, etc.) I'm play-testing now to see if the balance is right (and learning how the game works). Is this the sort of thing people are interested in? I'm not much of an artist, but text file modding I can do...

And thanks for the welcome!