.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old July 4th, 2005, 12:31 AM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road
Default Destroyed Vehicles in Scenerio\'s

Can anybody explain how one adds pre destroyed vehicles into a scenerio?

Old July 4th, 2005, 01:51 AM

Corporal

AB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Destroyed Vehicles in Scenerio\'s

In SPWAW, the way it was done was by making a scenario, playing a few turns of it in order to destroy some vehicles (a few 88's worked well, or aircraft), then save the game, then rename the game with the scenario prefix & number and place it in the scenario folder. Open the scenario in the editor, and the burning vehicle hulks are now part of the map - as were any smoke, fires, damage. It was a cool way to get Fog into a battle (tons of smoke screens), which would dissipate after a half dozen turns.

I've tried the above in WinSPMBT, but the vehicle hulks are missing (the vehicle fires are present). it might work if you make sure you keep the purchase vehicle in the scenario - i haven't tried that yet.
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:16 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Skirmisher said:

Can anybody explain how one adds pre destroyed vehicles into a scenerio?

I cannot recall if there is any way to do this.

U have vague memories of this in SP2WW2 a long time ago - so it may be doable. However back then, the scenario builders had forgottent o reduce the points values of the wrecks to 0 - so whatever was wrecked was added to the opposite side's victory scores, whether it was a panther or a jeep.

(changing crew size to 0 may well do it in the scenario editor, now I think of it. No crew = dead.

Give that one a go in a quick test scenario and see what happens.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Colonel

Pyros is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I confirm what Andy just told you.

Whenever you start a scenario with a vehicle (modified crew number of 0), it will start as destroyed (don't forget to modify the cost).

The only problem is the effect of destruction, since that unit won't have any sign of damage...
Of course, there is something that you can do about that... (if you realy need to have the effect of damage/destruction upon your destroyed vehicle).

What you can actually do is to put in the same hex with your destroyed vehicle an ammo truck or canister or even depot and then also modify their number of men to 0 (don't forget to modify the cost). When the scenario will start you will experience some very nice explosions (& secondary ones) and you will have a nice destruction zone!

I hope this help.

cheers,
Pyros
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Captain

Thanks everybody for your input. The scenerio I want to do next requires that some vehicles be destroyed as it gets under way.I'll do some experimenting regarding these ideas.
But I think that the explosions right at the start would work well.
Old July 5th, 2005, 04:47 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Pyros said:
Hi,

I confirm what Andy just told you.

Whenever you start a scenario with a vehicle (modified crew number of 0), it will start as destroyed (don't forget to modify the cost).

The only problem is the effect of destruction, since that unit won't have any sign of damage...
Of course, there is something that you can do about that... (if you realy need to have the effect of damage/destruction upon your destroyed vehicle).

What you can actually do is to put in the same hex with your destroyed vehicle an ammo truck or canister or even depot and then also modify their number of men to 0 (don't forget to modify the cost). When the scenario will start you will experience some very nice explosions (& secondary ones) and you will have a nice destruction zone!

I hope this help.

cheers,
Pyros
The ammo truck/dump with no crew trick could be useful for a scenario where "charges" need to go off on the start. No idea if they would drop bridges (reliably) - but you could pile 2 or 3 on a stone bridge hex to simulate engineer destruction, with a possibility of the bridge not dropping?.

Could also be useful for a scenario where you want a "terrorist" IED to go off, or a cruise missile strike etc on a particular hex say. One experiment I have not as yet run - use the trick + assign it as a reinforcement unit - it should then go off on arrival on-map (I think!

Certainly - that was what happened with a few UAV that some folk assigned 0 crew to in some initial OOBS - they arrived on-map and crashed in flames immediately as they were "dead on arrival" as they had no crew. (Kamikazes, anyone !

Andy
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:46 PM

Sergeant

Listy is on a distinguished road

Another trick I discovered under the Old DOS game.

If you have a Transport aircraft with <10 Damage points after it's dropped it's troops it will count as destroyed and crash and burn.
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:02 AM

Corporal

Pergite is on a distinguished road

The "no crew destroyed vheicle" as mentioned dont look destroyed. Its however easy to add some cosmetics to that in the map editor. Place a small tree in the same hex and then put heavy damage in the hex until the tree catches fire. Looks good enough for me.

Old July 7th, 2005, 02:43 AM

Captain

Quote:
Pergite said:
The "no crew destroyed vheicle" as mentioned dont look destroyed. Its however easy to add some cosmetics to that in the map editor. Place a small tree in the same hex and then put heavy damage in the hex until the tree catches fire. Looks good enough for me.
I'm using a couple light trucks and ammo containers both set to zero men. Sometimes I get 2 or three hexes of destruction,which looks really good. But sometimes just the hex with the truck/container in it is on fire.
So it looks blown up to me at the very least in that one hex.
I've tried it abunch of times and theres always a fire in the truck hex.
[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Flag_Checkered.gif[/img]
Old July 12th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Second Lieutenant

WBWilder is on a distinguished road

I use another method which works well for buildings and vehicles. I put a small tree icon in the hex with the destroyed vehicle. Then I hit it with a crater in the map editor until the trees burn. Check out attached picture of a downed Chinook in flames.

WB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 366404-Destroyed Chinook.jpg (10.8 KB, 213 views)

Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Scenario Designer