.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 25th, 2011, 11:11 PM

Private

sidhos is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Illwinter's next project

Thanks Gandalf.
Old August 28th, 2011, 06:15 PM

Private

Mimed is on a distinguished road

Have you guys thought about releasing your games on Steam? If so why haven't you? I'm sure your games would reach a whole new audience that doesn't know they exist... no offense to the marketing guys

I don't remember how I found out about Dom3 but I feel lucky that I did.
Old August 28th, 2011, 07:10 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Steam has been discussed often. Both here, and in staff forum.
It has its pros and cons but IIRC it does not meet the criteria for Indie support that Shrapnel seeks.
Old August 28th, 2011, 10:08 PM

First Lieutenant

Finalgenesis is on a distinguished road

Yes it was pure luck that I found Dom 3, I'm positive there's a large population of folks out there who would love it but simple have not heard of it.

Though I'm sure there's some serious Cons with Steam.
Old August 29th, 2011, 08:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

I think Steam would be fantastic for Shrapnel Games in general, though I seem to recall someone from Shrapnel Games posting an essay about pricing of digital purchases and how it was bad or something.
Thing is, releasing Dom III on Steam would bring in an enormous influx of players, and probably also money.
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:43 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Oh gee, why wasnt that considered? Sorry. Im not usually sarcastic.

But Steam has been discussed for as long as Steam has existed. So has Stardock, Tor, Torrent, and the MS distribution systems. Keep in mind that most of the systems are not just "add on". To make them work for the companies involved, they tend to have to go all one way or the other. Either DD or hard copy. Either mass produce, or on demand. Either marketing or publicity.
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

brxbrx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Oh gee, why wasnt that considered? Sorry. Im not usually sarcastic.

But Steam has been discussed for as long as Steam has existed. So has Stardock, Tor, Torrent, and the MS distribution systems. Keep in mind that most of the systems are not just "add on". To make them work for the companies involved, they tend to have to go all one way or the other. Either DD or hard copy. Either mass produce, or on demand. Either marketing or publicity.
Where did I imply that my thoughts were new or original? Someone mentioned Steam, and I said it would be a good idea. No need to be snippy.
Old August 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

True. Sorry about that.
Maybe it should be in the FAQ file.

Im sure Steam will again be considered for the new game. But I wouldnt hold my breath for it
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:40 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

I am sure a lot of effort went into the price, marketing and distribution of Dominions, but the business guy in me thinks the price was too high, the marketing not enough (not in money spent, but avenue), and the distribution dated.

I think it could have made more money on Steam/Impulse/GOG by cutting out Shrapnel, charging $19.99 and including the owner's manual in PDF. As far as marketing goes, the game is niche and most of the sites have built in marketing via "search for games like this one" or being able to list by genre. Once game started getting 5 stars or the equivalent, it could have been a huge indy money maker.

P.S. I know they have said in the past that they did the numbers and they felt it would have been less profitable; I still disagree.
Old August 29th, 2011, 02:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stagger Lee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodstamp View Post
I am sure a lot of effort went into the price, marketing and distribution of Dominions, but the business guy in me thinks the price was too high, the marketing not enough (not in money spent, but avenue), and the distribution dated.

I think it could have made more money on Steam/Impulse/GOG by cutting out Shrapnel, charging $19.99 and including the owner's manual in PDF. As far as marketing goes, the game is niche and most of the sites have built in marketing via "search for games like this one" or being able to list by genre. Once game started getting 5 stars or the equivalent, it could have been a huge indy money maker.

P.S. I know they have said in the past that they did the numbers and they felt it would have been less profitable; I still disagree.
+1

I have looked for turn based strategy games since the glory days of MOO & MOM. I haven't played them all, but I generally find the good ones (HOMM up to 3, Disciples up to 2, GalCiv, Alpha Centauri & the Civs, a few others), and the bad (all too many). I found this game because an old genesis game that I loved, Master of Monsters (my other MOM), had been through a truly epic fail of a sequel, and every now and then I look for news about that game to see if a decent remake will ever be made. In all of my gaming experience, that was the only place I had ever seen the word "Firbolg". I always assumed it was a misspelling of some obscure legend (there were plenty in that game), so about two years ago I googled firbolg and found the celtic mythologies connected to the word. And something curious. A turn based strategy game with firbolgs! I lurked, dl'd the demo, and am now an upstanding member of the community.

What I'm saying is, I have no idea how I would have found this game otherwise.