This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 29th, 2002, 05:12 PM

Major

Val is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Babylon 5 Mod

So much to reply to Glad to see that the forum doesn't need me to keep it moving on a daily basis

Jimbob:
Capturing other race's tech is completely possible in the B5 mod, though the intial level of tech requires the 'racial only trait' of that race, subsequent branches built from that tree can be captured and researched. So, if a Narn ship captures a Drazi ship, it can reverse engineer and may discover Drazi Light Weapons, and they may then research forward.

That being said, there are still some things that are totally racial specific - mostly ancient technology. The reason is that most other younger races shouls not be able to grasp that level of tech - hard to reverse engineer something that is barely understandable to begin with. As for other ancients, all media on them says they would consider it 'distasteful' in the strongest of terms to be caught using technology from another ancient - almost admitting theirs isn't the best. Doesn't mean they wouldn't try to imitate the tech though

Pathfinder:
Combat Telepaths are available to Shadows, but they are pretty useless, as they only harm Shadow vessels
Pop Transports - I have to look at the AI again before I can answer that one.
PD- After the ships asign weapons and base engines, there is a requirement for Point-Defense, set the % there for PDF weapons.

Lighthorse:
I wanted to leave the traits seperate in case someone wanted to make their own race or have a 'nomadic narn' tech based race. But it is a good idea

Other Nomadic Race - Soulhunters
Other Ancient Races - Torvalus, Kirishiac, Mind Riders, Triad, Travelers

Shadow and LNAW colors - Done!

Shipyard Ships - Early SYS are actually just repair vessels, you need much larger ships to make a 'real' SYS, so at a higher level they will (well should) start bulding SYS with yards in them

Simon:
Simon had mentioned that there was no evidence of shields for the Brakiri, the source that I had found that in was the Bab5Wars game, it seems they 'borrowed' the tech from the Abbai, so I guess we can just make the Abbai shields stealable so this could happen - and the Brakiri would not be able to research it

Terra-forming - he was also concerned about terra-forming (as has been mentioned by others), but I can't seem to make the terra-forming process slow enough (funny as that sounds). Any suggestions?

SJ:
Weapon Platforms - Exactly! They will only be able to attack incoming troops and fighters for the most part, and act as damage absorbers for planetary assault weapons.

Gil:
Simon has finished the text for your shipset, if you can put all your most recent ships in a set and zip it for me, I will put it in the next patch.

Baron Munausen:
Yup, the Great Machine is in there as a Ruins Tech. It will be one of a very short number of Weap Platforms that can do serious damage to a ship. It gives access to a HUGE weapon platform and a weapon that takes all that space - it is expensive to build and maintain, but I could not think of a way to restrict it to a single planet
Old June 29th, 2002, 06:14 PM

Sergeant

Lighthorse is on a distinguished road

Hey Val,

Byside the earth alliance that has anti-mine misslies, what other technology is available for other races to sweep mines. I noticed in my vorlon game, that I only have mines and minelayers level one and two, no minesweeper devices.

Lighthorse
Old June 29th, 2002, 10:15 PM

Major

Hmmm, must have accidently written over the mine sweeper at some point. It should be available to all races once they have particle weapons and mines technogies (and generic light weapons iirc). It is actually a particle weapon that can be used in combat as well as to clear mines during movement.

The latest update should help with that - it includes all modifications that have been made since the May 24th post.

Update062902.zip

It does not include the incomplete races (Abbai, Drazi, Vree, Brakiri, Technomages, Raiders, Dilgar, Drakh or Pakmara)

Gil's shipset and AI will be posted seperately once I hear receive the complete set.
Old June 30th, 2002, 12:40 AM

Major

As it always inevitably happens, there is a slight error in 2 of the Neutral Race's general files and 1 error in the general AI

Replace the Hurr and Markab general files with these instead:

Hurr_AI_General.txt

Markab_AI_General.txt

Replace the Default_AI_DesignCreation in the AI folder with this:

Default_AI_DesignCreation.txt

Sorry!

[ June 29, 2002, 23:50: Message edited by: Val ]
Old June 30th, 2002, 06:37 AM

Corporal

Gil Hamilton is on a distinguished road

Here are the Lorkan http://www.gev.cc/SEIV/lorkan.zip Add Description and AI, shake thoroughly, step back and watch out!
If he'd reached it all kinds of hell would have broken loose, Haine's men would have hypoed me, and I would have regained consciousness a piece at a time, in Haine's organ-storage tanks. So I strangled him. -Death By Ecstasy-Larry Niven
Old June 30th, 2002, 11:53 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Val:

I'm getting a 404 Page Not Found error when I click on your signature's link to the Bab 5 Mod site...just thought I should let you know.
Old July 2nd, 2002, 12:54 AM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road

Val: Good news, No RCE due to the LvL 6 engines

Narn had an RCE but that due to stupid ship movements (I think).

All 5 of the other races are beyond LvL 6 engines and no design problems that I could see.

Only silliness I see is that instead of the exterior cargo pods taking the living cpu place on refit, the Shadow ships are now designed with 3 living cpus! I guess 1 for bridge, 1 for crew quarters and 1 for life support.

[ July 02, 2002, 02:06: Message edited by: pathfinder ]
Old July 2nd, 2002, 03:34 AM

Major General

pathfinder is on a distinguished road

Owwwwwww! When are the other races going to get their AI? The Narn (Minbari, my race, are at war with them) have Advanced fusion III...6 movement per engine! Yikes...and have Battleships and I (the Minbari) barely have destroyers....

Good thing the Shadows are now essentially a neutral race...they have their slice and dice but have NOT moved out of homeworld system yet...
Old July 2nd, 2002, 08:40 AM

Major

PF:
Thank the Prime Builder! About time that went away

Now that life is looking more stable for the generic AI, I am working toward finalizing the basic racial AIs - including the Lorkans (gil's) Nomadic AI.

The Shadow siliness is due to a change I made, but soon that will dwindle to a single living CPU for most Shadow vessels (not all) and we can remove the Master Computer requirement from the AI design as it will be filled with the NewImproved (*tm pending) Living CPU

Good to see the Shadows are acting more like a neutral race now - with the freedom to travel though We do have to tweak the AI so it builds a few ship yards to make more ships. The 'advanced ancient facilities' that I have in the works will help the situation as well.

CQ:
Damned if I know what's up, I've barely had time to post here much less do anything on the site probably locked out again ! I'm going to be even busier up until next Tuesday, then sanity may well return to my life and I can get back to the important stuff - like the 100+ new weapons to add to the mod and the racial non-weapon components I've been wanting to add.
Old July 3rd, 2002, 01:18 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Hi all,
Val,
Sorry for not having done the uploads you've asked for, I'm totally enthralled by NeverWinter Nights RPG since I have it... !!

I'll upload the stuff soon, do you need all files - Base files, 1.49 data, and 1.67 data ?