.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 21st, 2018, 08:27 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scenario - Bear vs Dragon

I'll be VERY curious to hear how it works as a two-player scenario.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old August 22nd, 2018, 07:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

I already started the new scenario of Sas; when I finish it, I'll definitely check this one out as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post:
Old August 22nd, 2018, 08:50 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Scenario - Bear vs Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Bear vs Dragon - North Korea
Date: June 3, 2018
Battle Location: Chosin Reservoir, North Korea
Battle Type: 5th Red Banner Army advance vs Korean People's Army defend

With North Korea's continued attempts to obtain nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles the USA and Russia find that dispite their differences in other parts of the world they share a common cause in this region.

On the 24th of May 2018, in the virtually uninhabited mountains of the north-east, between Sonbong and Hoeryong, North Korea performed an underground nuclear test. Unfortunately they miscalculated and the test explosion was more powerful then intended ... it breached the surface. Needless to say the resulting fallout has spread throughout the region ... including Russia.

International response was swift, and as usual ignored by North Korea. What happened next took everyone by surprise. Russia declaired that if North Korea didn't agree to total nuclear disarmament under U.N. verification by 1 June 2018 they would declare war. The U.S., South Korea, Japan, and U.N., in fact most other nations have all officially proclaimed neutrality in the upcoming conflict, but secretly applaud the Russian move.

It's been made clear to North Korea that if the impending conflict spreads outside North Korea, Russia, and their territorial waters the international community will get involved, militarily. Russia has said that any use of nuclear or other weapons of mass distruction will result in non-nuclear but "decisive" response by Russia. Russia as agreed to turn North Korean leadership over to the International Court, and let the U.N. decide the ultimate fate of North Korea as a nation after it's conquest. Many think Trump and Putin have made an deal.

The People's Republic of China said there could be "serious repercussions" if Russia invades North Korea.

On 1 June 2018 the Russian deadline expired and the invasion began. So far the North Korean response has been lackluster, most of their army was near the South Korean border. The only thing slowing the Russian advance is the terrian, lack of roads in north-east North Korea, and the need to bypass the highly contaminated area around the nuclear test site. As Russia approaches the Chosin Reservoir area, where the road network starts to vastly improve, China sent a final ultimatum. Halt the invasion, depart North Korea, or they will get directly involved.

This morning the Chinese shocked the world by begining to broadcast Chinese radar coverage of the Chinese - North Korea and Russian borders to the world and invited international observers to their radar sites to verify the broadcasts. And have declaired that hostilities will be limited to North Korea and it's territorial waters and any breach of this zone will result in an escalation of the conflict. Chinese fighters patrol the border but have been VERY careful not to cross over. Every rail line, road, and port leading from China into North Korea is jammed with an endless stream of men and material, but no airfraft are crossing the border. However North Korean ports of entry suddenly came on line with MASSIVE air defense networks, all on the North Korean side of the border. Can China really expect to confine the conflict to North Korea? Russia is counting on getting to Pyonyang, and occupying all of North Korea, before China can mount an effective response.

And this brings us to Chosin ..

####################

As always useful feedback is welcome!

Be prepared for some long turns ... there are a LOT of Chinese.
Again, another scenario on point with what is going on in the world. It seems according to Haaretz, the Russians, a few Chinese and Mongolians are planning a massive war game in the east.

"Speaking to the top Russian military brass, Shoigu said army, air force and navy units will take part in the exercise that will be held across the Far East and Siberia. He added that military units from China and Mongolia will also take part."

Source:
https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/r...east-1.6405743

The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old August 23rd, 2018, 02:07 AM

Lieutenant General

I try to make scenarios that seem plausible.
"What if?"

And in case anyone think's I've forgotten Hue, nope, but trying to make it a single scenario probably isn't going to work. So it'll have to be a multi-part mini-campaign. But getting (more-or-less) accurate info on NVA, VC, and strangely enough South Vietnamese units involved has been rather difficult.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old August 23rd, 2018, 03:41 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.

Quote:
And in case anyone think's I've forgotten Hue, nope, but trying to make it a single scenario probably isn't going to work. So it'll have to be a multi-part mini-campaign. But getting (more-or-less) accurate info on NVA, VC, and strangely enough South Vietnamese units involved has been rather difficult.
Full Metal Jacket (1987). USMC marine squad in the Battle of Hue during the Tet Offensive. A story taken from "The Short-Timers [read: draftees] (1979). Inarguably,the favorite war movie of a generation, especially those unlucky souls bound for Paris Island or San Diego. Who can forget R. Lee Ermey as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

The naming convention of the NVA and VC formations followed their AO. Something like B1 may have been Central Highlands, etc.

You may have a similar map already, but anyway here is one I found. So, I see 7 battalions, so let's say a division.

I just finished FSW Ten Hammers on my old PS2 giving me a few hours to check out our game. FSW is a great game BTW.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map_Battle_of_Hue-Army_MHC.gif
Views:	468
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	15508  
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:05 AM

Lieutenant General

The units involved are easy enough to find out.

But ...
What was their actual strength?
How were they generally armed?
What, if any, extra or special sub units? Sappers? AT? Extra mortars?

Old August 23rd, 2018, 12:27 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Quote:
Full Metal Jacket (1987). USMC marine squad in the Battle of Hue during the Tet Offensive. A story taken from "The Short-Timers [read: draftees] (1979). Inarguably,the favorite war movie of a generation, especially those unlucky souls bound for Paris Island or San Diego. Who can forget R. Lee Ermey as Gunnery Sergeant Hartman.

The naming convention of the NVA and VC formations followed their AO. Something like B1 may have been Central Highlands, etc.

You may have a similar map already, but anyway here is one I found. So, I see 7 battalions, so let's say a division.

I just finished FSW Ten Hammers on my old PS2 giving me a few hours to check out our game. FSW is a great game BTW.

Quote:
The units involved are easy enough to find out.

But ...
What was their actual strength?
How were they generally armed?
What, if any, extra or special sub units? Sappers? AT? Extra mortars?
Yeah, that is so true when trying to build historical scenarios, either one side or the other is poorly documented, or most often the documentation is tucked away in a language other than that of the scenario designer, or bad links!

Reviewing the map, I can see two maybe three regiments, the 4th, 6th and the 12th (Sappers). Or, a third regiment did not participate in the initial attack but followed-up. The battalion from the 12th (Sappers) may have been composed of the sapper units of the 12th regiment. Although the map does not show the rifle companies of the 12th.

You could scale the scenario to the 804/4 assault on the MACV compound, but I know you won't, you like 'em big, right?

Looking forward to BoH.

Last edited by shahadi; August 23rd, 2018 at 12:40 PM..
Old August 23rd, 2018, 09:09 PM

Lieutenant General

I prefer large, longer scenarios because they give you some room to maneuver and time to recon. The short "fight with what you have wherever may happen to start" scenarios have their place but I like to put the player in command. What do I send where? When? Can I afford to screen here so I can attack there?

Old August 25th, 2018, 11:33 PM

Major

Thanked 1,053 Times in 619 Posts
RetLT is on a distinguished road

Just finished on turn 49 with a slim MV.

To say there are a lot of Chinese is an understatement!

It was hard to score enough points for a MV since the Chinese units are numerous but cheap. The LAW teams and ATGMs killed a number of my expensive APCs with massed attacks. I even lost a few T-90s to lucky hits.

It is tough but fun.

Thanks.
Old August 26th, 2018, 04:43 AM

Lieutenant General

Glad it was both!
Thanks for the feedback.

Did you find the Chinese mortars effective or just annoying?