.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Digital Eel > Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space > Scenarios and Mods

Old January 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM

Corporal

Phlagm is on a distinguished road
Default Weird crap with my item mask...

I can't really figure this one out. I added a new sheet of item icons both large and small. For the small ones, I made a new mask PNG file and referenced it in the .ini for that sheet. Unfortunately, I get masking, but it's absolutely bizarre. I've checked the size and locations and everything else I can think of, but I keep getting this strange masking. Has anyone had a similar problem?

If I cant get it sorted out, I'm considering just moving my items around to match item types with the old item masks. Also, I did the weapons separately, and used the original mask, and they work just dandy. Is there something that has to be set specially with that .png file?

-Jeremy

Also, even though this mod is nowhere near the mark I was hoping for before release, I'm going to put it out soon. I've got a checklist of problems to sort out. Once they're all done, I'll release a beta version of Even Weirder Worlds.
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:31 PM

Sergeant

Fingers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Weird crap with my item mask...

Can you define "bizarre"?

If it's all screwed up, typically with horizontal streaks, this is usually caused by the mask not being the exact same size as the JPG. Other kinds of problems may occur if you have the wrong MASK filename in the icon sheet's .ini file. Also, the mask needs to be in 8-bit greyscale format so it's just one channel.

The most foolproof way would be to just use a 32-bit TGA file with the alpha channel included. PNG support is not quite there in many paint progrems.
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Corporal

Phlagm is on a distinguished road

I will do the TGA thing here in a minute and see if it works. I've verified they are the same size, but the bizarreness is that instead of the given shape, I get one that's stretched out, sort of like a trapezoid on its side. I bet it's the 8-bit greyscaleness. If we do the TGA instead, what do we need to input where it asks for the mask? Nothing? or the same file again?

Thanks,

-Jeremy
Old January 25th, 2007, 10:24 PM

Sergeant

Fingers is on a distinguished road

If you use a tga you don't need to put a MASK line in the ini file at all since the image already has four channels.

(The MASK adds an alpha channel to a three-channel image to get around the three-channel limitation of jpg...)

Btw, one error that'll turn squares into trapezoids with straight top/bottom and angled sides is if the image width is off by exactly one pixel (say, 255 instead of 256).