Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > TO&Es
Notices

Old February 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Japanese OOB Question

Is it possible to see in the next official update an "armed civilian" unit, armed with bamboo spears and poles? I know we already have suicide infantry AT detachments in the game; and we could use the scenario editor to re-equip the Milita Units in the OOB (units 188 to 192) with nothing but grenades; there's a lack of a improvised spear weapon in the Japanese OOB.

Reason I ask is that I've been looking at the official Downfall plans; as well as a post-war paper which interviewed the Japanese concerning their defensive preparations for Downfall.

While I know that civilians armed with nothing but maybe 15 grenades in a group of 30 people, and carrying 30 spears would not be occuring that much; due to the fact that Japanese Civilians aren't as indoctrinated into the cult of the Emperor and dying for the Emperor as the Imperial Japanese Army; meaning that they'll be a threat; e.g. you may encounter scattered bands attacking you, but not literal human waves; since if you cut down the first attacking band, the other waves will falter and run away...

It would still be a threat encountered as we moved in...
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:01 AM

First Lieutenant

PanzerBob is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Japanese OOB Question

....one has to wonder what the first momentary thought though a soldiers head would have been when he saw the first spear armed people attacking him as he held his Thompson poised at the ready!

Damn, war is hell!

Bob out

"Whenever in future wars the battle is fought, panzer troops will play the decisive role..."
Heinz Guderian, General der Panzertruppe
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Japanese OOB Question

I finished HTMLing the report by Sixth Army on Japanese preparations for Downfall; you can see it here:

Link

Lot of good information in there, like:

Quote:
When the Allied landing date became more imminent, the Peoples' Volunteer Corps would have been organized into Combat Corps.
Quote:
There were 275 tanks in southern KYUSHU (standard number), and composed for the main part of average-sized tanks, while light tanks and self-mobile guns were included.
Quote:
57th Army had not received any allotments of heavy tanks mounting 75mm guns, and the Commanding General considered that no such tanks were located anywhere in KYUSHU. Tactically, it was intended to use the medium and light-tanks, as far as possible, as mobile units in a tank-versus-tank role. The self-propelled guns were to be used mainly in previously selected and prepared positions as anti-tank weapons, although the 150-mm guns might also be used as normal supporting artillery.
Quote:
The employment of airborne troops by the Americans was also regarded as possible, and to meet this threat, the 1st Special (Adv) Tank Unit was located in the area of MIYAKONOJO. The unit was equipped with 27 light tanks and was intended to move rapidly to any area in the vicinity where airborne troops were dropped. In addition, poles were to be erected and plane-traps (10 meters wide, 6 deep and 40 long) were to be dug in MIYAKONJO PLAIN to prevent plane and glider landings.
Those are the things that stand out for me....Some great possibilities in there; like the 1st Special Tank Unit attacking a US ABN Landing...