Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old April 21st, 2016, 04:25 PM

Private

gdpsnake is on a distinguished road
Default latest upgrades don't run

I downloaded and installed v9.0 and then 9.0b for winspww2 as well as v10.0 and 10.0b for winspmbt. Now the games .exe and game options menu will not run the game (all worked fine before latest updates.
I have the CD version of winspww2.

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

I have tried running as administrator and checked compatibility. It all worked fine before the updates. I tried both with shortcuts and directly out of the file. Scenario hack and campaign hack won't run either.

I have windows 10. They worked fine in win 10 before the updates.
Please advise.
Old April 21st, 2016, 05:37 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: latest upgrades don't run

did you buy your CD version a long time ago?

In which case, the original file installation would be to program files/shrapnel games, and the patch will install to the new path, so you have missing files - hence the error from windows as to missing files.

Now we did have one end user who I recall had the same problem you had - but that guy had simply downloaded the latest consolidation patch and tried to run that, rather than install the base game and then patch over it.

However, if your old game was installed to /program files/ and you ran the patch to the new path, then you would get a similar result since the base game files would now be missing from the new folder the patch used.

Re-run your original CD game installer, up to the point it shows where it thinks it is going to install to a folder.

If it shows "program files" in there, then it is an old install. You will need to paste in

C:\Shrapnel Games\The Camo Workshop\winSPWW2

and install to there, not to program files!

After that, run all the update patches in the appropriate order. These will use the new pathing configuration shown above.
The patch files (2 of) are available at the WW2 page.

(NB - dont type it in, copy and paste the path above into the installer's destination path)

Now, copy across any ongoing saved games you may want from the old folder in program files, then delete the folders under program files as no longer required.

If however you have a newer CD game then the pre-baked folder will be the new one.
- run the CD base game installer
- Run the Version 5 update patch
- run the version 9b update patch
Old April 21st, 2016, 07:35 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

I'm running win10 as well and every new EXE I get from Andy gives me a warning that it might cause a problem with my machine. That never happened when I was using win8.1 or XP.

While your report is not quite the same but it may be related. In my case only the the first run attempt gets the warning and I need to press the "more info" link, and then choose "run anyway" and everything runs OK.after that............" Windows smartscreen" is the culprit

Don

Last edited by DRG; April 21st, 2016 at 08:54 PM..
Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:44 AM

Private

Thank you for the response.

It's not a failure of where I updated the files too as it all goes to my own created directory c:\winspww2. I've always done it this way and it's always worked until this latest patch.

Here is some interesting info:
ALL I did was to re-run the win SPMBT 6.0 consolidated patch again (correct, I did NOT uninstall anything) and the game works. I re-run the 10.0b version patch and the game fails again with the warning. Clearly the 10.0b patch changes something causing the game to fail.
For win SPWW2. I reloaded the disk over my install (yes, again I did not uninstall anything) and the game works. I re-patch and the game fails. Again, clearly there is some change made in the latest patches that causes the game to fail to start.
So, conclusion, it's not where or how I downloaded or patched - it is the patch itself changing some permission file somehow.

Edit: I ran the compatibility test and it says that the games with the latest patches are incompatible. Does this have anything to do with the latest win 10 drivers?

To Don, there is no "more info" button on my warning so I can't select that.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:25 AM

The "more info" button sometimes appears on a new installer in W10. And 8.1 which I run here. Some of the ones Don sent me for test did that. others did not.

I have had this - a big blue "screen of death"
There is an OK button to exit it, and the more info is a link hidden in the text of the screen, which you have to notice, and press and then you get the option to run it anyway. Which the BSOD seems only to give you the one option (of quitting) due to the one button it displays to you. "Windows smartscreen" as Don said, and its not too smart the way it preents your options, IMHO.

As to your problem - you seem to have installed a patch (or all of them) to a different folder from the base game.

It's exactly the same error some guy had who only downloaded the consolidation patch and tried to run that, as he had not realised that he had to download the base game and apply the patches, in ascending order, on top of the base game (i.e. with the same file path used in all the installer runs).

It is also a similar problem post-vista if someone installs to the \program files\ folder. Since program files is "managed" by windows post vista, it then applies subsequent patches into a "user" folder for the current user and not into the original one in program files, then tries to run the partial install so created from that "user" folder... Which is why we put in the new path that does not go inside the program files hierarchy. (NB I had some older games that also reacted well to being installed to a "c:\games\.." folder instead of program files. And an older development environment too - Delphi 3. So its not just us that "new windows" messes up!)

So - is this problem appearing when you try to run the installer? - In which case, see the "Windows smartscreen" above. Find the underlined more options (or however worded) link, and the option to run it anyway appears. that will make the installer work.

Otherwise - assuming the installer works, and you have used the exact same path, then you may have downloaded a corrupt version from the site. Re-download that, and also download it to a different target folder (in case there is a dodgy disk sector etc). Try running the new copy of the patch installer and if it all works OK - it may be time to run windows disk utility to check for lost sectors since your HD may need a cleanup.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 11:26 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

The current installers were built from the exact same template as the last installers which were built from the exact same template as the one before that so nothing was changed in regards to where anything is installed or how it's installed. All I do is point it at the new files and away it goes. It's significant that no one else is reporting this problem but why that is and why you are having this problem is a mystery ATM

What I would suggest is since you only re-ran the SPMBT 6.0 consolidated patch into the same installation then you tried 10b that you rename your existing installation.....just add an X to the main folder will do it and it makes it easy to find.....then reinstall the main game.....again NOT in program files but under c:/....... then trying the patch routine again. This way you are working from a clean base

Don

EDIT........ as Andy says your 10b MAY be corrupted ( it happens .......) so delete it and DL a fresh version
Old April 25th, 2016, 10:37 AM

Private

OK,
This is the craziest yet but....I logged on this morning and decided to troubleshoot some more. I changed NOTHING and both games are working fine.

Go figure?....
Old April 25th, 2016, 11:48 AM

Do you have an anti-virus programme - some can decide all on their own that a programme is "bad" for you. Avast(?) did that to me for the game a few years back - outlined the game window in red, and stopped it from working. It may e.g. have had a script update, so now it does work. In the case of avast, I had to find its new "feature" it had introduced in its latest update and turn it off.
Old May 25th, 2016, 01:26 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
did you buy your CD version a long time ago?

In which case, the original file installation would be to program files/shrapnel games, and the patch will install to the new path, so you have missing files - hence the error from windows as to missing files.

Now we did have one end user who I recall had the same problem you had - but that guy had simply downloaded the latest consolidation patch and tried to run that, rather than install the base game and then patch over it.

However, if your old game was installed to /program files/ and you ran the patch to the new path, then you would get a similar result since the base game files would now be missing from the new folder the patch used.

Re-run your original CD game installer, up to the point it shows where it thinks it is going to install to a folder.

If it shows "program files" in there, then it is an old install. You will need to paste in

C:\Shrapnel Games\The Camo Workshop\winSPWW2

and install to there, not to program files!

After that, run all the update patches in the appropriate order. These will use the new pathing configuration shown above.
The patch files (2 of) are available at the WW2 page.

(NB - dont type it in, copy and paste the path above into the installer's destination path)

Now, copy across any ongoing saved games you may want from the old folder in program files, then delete the folders under program files as no longer required.

If however you have a newer CD game then the pre-baked folder will be the new one.
- run the CD base game installer
- Run the Version 5 update patch
- run the version 9b update patch
Now this is interesting,glad it was brought up.
Bought my WW2 CD years ago,life goes on, had a crash or two years ago reinstalled where had to patch each upgrade in order and had no problems whatsoever.

Had another crash not but 2 years ago,after you all consolidated the patches,then the problems start.

The new patch will not work.. ei. no "5" key feature no filter options,no campaign with PBEM same as free download,and i've done several times,always it shows CD version but only up to 1.0v and no added features Uggh!

My question is what do mean 'copy and paste' and not type in?
How does one do that,i know how to copy and paste but where do you go to do that, and correctly.
Sorry not that comp saavy.
Old May 25th, 2016, 01:56 AM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Btw,i'm using an old Win XP model.