.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 5th, 2008, 02:11 AM

Sergeant

Atreidi is on a distinguished road
Default I need some technical Assistance

ConvArmyNbr: error!

This is what happened.

I used to play Dominions 3 in my Desktop PC and everything worked just fine. I decided to use that PC for the office and purchased a new computer. I had started a big game on the office PC and decided to tranfered the files from my office PC to the new laptop so I could play home, and I did with the help of my usb drive. It worked great actually. Then the problems arouse.

On my laptop I had the game files (the dominions3 folder) sitting on my desk top. I finished the big game I was playing and decided to install the game correctly (install it from the cd, not from my usb drive) before I applied the new patch 3.17. I highlighted the dominions3 folder that was sitting on my desktop and simple deleted it and emptied my trashcan. Then I installed the game and patched it. Right after that I tried playing a game but the when I finished a turn the error : ConvArmyNbr: error! Would appear.

I uninstalled the game and re-installed but the problem persisited. I noticed that some of my old saved game files were still there, even after I had erased everything a couple of times. I can stil play the game in my office PC but I cant on my laptop.

How can I fix this problem?

I've been trying to fix this for hours with no success. I read in the forums about this problem but the ones discussed do not match my problems.

Any suggestions would help. TNX
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:19 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I need some technical Assistance

I had the error while viewing stats of units with unit_ID__2083 and higher and it was because of a MOD. I removed the MOD from the folder and the issue vanished.

If the error happens at the end of a turn then it's advised to contact shrapnelgames as you might have purchased an illegal copy or a crack version. The fellas at shrapnelgames can help investigate your issue.
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:20 AM

Sergeant

But I just purchased it from amazon.com

I bought it directly from amazon and it came sealed and every thing.
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:23 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

You can try uninstalling the game, deleting any remaining folders, then run a registry cleaning tool... then try reinstalling.

Otherwise you will probably need to contact shrapnelgames... if someone found your game key and posted it on the internet then this would also cause it to be banned in the most recent patch.
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:28 AM

Sergeant

I hope that is not the case. I dont see how a serial number can be exposed. I only entered it once and never used it again. :S
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:32 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough

I assume that you see your old saved games when you are actually running dominions (through "play an existing game"). If that is the case, I suspect that somehow you have ended up with more than one dominion3 folder/directory on your laptop. It has been so long since I used the dominions install from cd that I can't remember the details, but if you uninstall and attempt to reinstall, pay attention to the path. Make sure that when you patch the game that the path is the same. Before you run the game, check the path on the shortcut that you are using (if any) by right clicking on the shortcut and selecting properties from the menu.

It sounds like the shortcut you are using is pointing to an old or otherwise unpatched copy of the dom3.exe while the patch and new installs are going to another location.

I apologize in advance if I am underestimating your familiarity with windows and the directory structures. I hope that it is something simple and not some kind of crazy, corrupted registry issue.

Out of curiosity, is your new laptop using Vista? I am currently running dom3 on Vista, but I installed it originally on my old XP machine. When that machine exploded, I transfered the entire dominions3 directory over to the new machine manually.
Map Forge - Map editor
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:33 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road

Try deleting your key and re-entering it.

I'm positively amazed that there's three google entries on this error. Nothing very solid to go on, but... as suggestions go, it is 'any'.
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:40 AM

Sergeant

No need for apologies Ballbarian. I appreciate the help. I do have vista and I did tranfer the files from a WINDOS XP to the New WIndows vista. The funny thing is IT WORKED before I erased it and instaled it again from the CD. I am afraid it might be something to do with the registry. I tried reinstalling the key file again but did not work.

I also noticed this. When I install from the cd the directory it creates on the C: drive does not contain a savedgames folder. I can see old saved game files when I get in the game but when I try playing them the error pops up. I also tried looking for the files through the windows search engine but the files are nowere to be found. I dont even have a Savedgames folder!!

I create new maps with crazy names and look for the file in the Maps folder but it is not there. I look for the file in a different directory but the system says it does not exist.

What might it be?
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:42 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

If none of the above works, contact Shrapnel technical support.
Old June 5th, 2008, 02:51 AM

Sergeant

I defenetly will. I just thought it might be something very simple or something that might have happed to someone else before.

I've just had bad experiences with technical support departments. I've been tranfered to India, China, and Mexico, or even places in the US with outsource people that dont know much about my problem. I hope it is not the case.