.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default DAR: USSR vs Poland

USSR vs. Poland

Mission: Meeting Engagement, Poland, 9/1939 - scattered objectives.

Enemy: Battalion Strength – 1 Armor Co, 2-3 Infantry Co, 1-2 Cavalry Trps, 1-2 Artillery Btry, plus ATG and AAA. Average force experience, ~65.

It is difficult to estimate the enemy force size as my core is only 1140 points and I have not used any support points.

Terrain: Map = 100x100. Moderately wooded terrain with 50% of the map having trees and the other 50% composed of clear area, fields and tall grass. The wooded terrain is clustered, so there are solid areas of woods and areas of clear ground. There are a few small level 20 hills between the deployment zones. Two roads are available for use, but only one has any tactical advantages. One road enters from the east edge of the map and angles northwest until exiting the north edge of the map near the middle. The second road also starts on the east edge of the map, about 750m further south. It angles west northwest until it reaches the enemy deployment line about 1500m south of the northern edge. At that point, it turns due west until it exits the western edge. Visibility = 40.

Troops: Battalion Strength – 1 Armor Co. (7xM26 1939, 5xM26 M1931), 3 Infantry Co., 1 Support Co (3xHMG sec., 2x45mm ATGs, 2x82mm Mort. sec., 2xBA6 ACs, 2xScouts w/trans., 1xEng. Plt, 1xAAMG sec. and 2xSupply Trucks) Average force experience, ~50.

Here is some background information on my force selection. It is intended to be a rifle battalion as part of a mechanized brigade. It is very difficult to find any information related to the TO&E of a 1939 Soviet battalion, mechanized or otherwise. Given it is 1939, I opted to go without transport for my infantry companies for now. Later, I’ll add trucks, making them motorized and when Lend Lease is in full swing, I’ll upgrade to half-tracks. The support company is composed of units that would be available as assets to the next higher command (brigade). The same can be said of the armor company. A mechanized brigade has one light and three medium tank companies as part of it’s TO&E. In my core, the theory is one platoon of light tanks and two platoons of medium tanks (plus HQ) have been attached to my battalion.

Time: 50 Turns

Analysis

The roads will be of significant importance in this game, because 15 of 21 victory locations are within 300m of one road or the other. Three of the six victory locations not near the roads are in my position. The remaining three are located in the southwest quadrant of the map so can be targeted as a group.

In between the deployment zones are two small to medium level 20 hills. The northern hill (Hill 1) is located between the two roads and west of two unclaimed objectives. West and northwest of this hill is a fair sized open area which gives the hill strategic importance. It can be used to cover the two objectives after they are claimed. The northern road (North Road) can be used for high speed access to this hill.

The southern road (South Road) is critical since almost half of the victory locations are close to it. This makes the road important to both sides. Running along the road on the north side is a large wooded area (North Woods). The south side of the road is fairly open except for a line of trees along considerable length. Aside from occasional gaps in these trees, the only way to control the road is to be on the road or just adjacent to it. The road passes about 250m north of the southern hill (Hill 2)

As with Hill 1, there is a relatively clear area to the northwest of Hill 2. Unfortunately, trees along the road to the north and a small wooded area due west, limits the uses of Hill 2 to me tactically. There is a clear area to the southwest of the hill as well. It might make a decent observation post, however.

The small woods (West Woods) to the west of Hill 2 intrigue me more. In these woods or within 250m of them are three of the victory locations controlled by the enemy or likely to be controlled by them. Whoever controls these woods, will control those three objectives.

A large wooded area (South Woods) with a field in the center inspires modest interest because it provides a covered path for the enemy to approach a victory location I already control. Being wooded, it would be difficult for me to see the enemy approaching but it would also be difficult for the enemy to see my forces defending the victory location. A small force could probably hold off a larger force for a significant period of time. From these woods, I can cover my left flank.

One other consideration related to force composition is my infantry has no reliable integrated AT capability. All I have are two 45mm ATGs and seven T26 M1939 tanks. Those will have to be parceled out to various forces to give them some sort of AT capability. I do have some .50 cals on my light tanks and my AAMGs. These can kill Polish armor, but not reliably.

A final thought related to my force experience. I think they would have trouble with a bunch of kindergarteners hopped up on sugar, so I need to be able to put as many guns on target as possible. My force is likely to lose localized fire fights with an equal sized force. It is hard to picture the Polish force being the most experience troops in the battle, but that is a fact in this case. I should have numbers on my side, so I need to make them count.

Plan

Generally speaking, named areas fit into my plan in one way or another. This is the case here. I’m going to break my core up into four forces. The main objectives will be to capture Hill 1, the West Woods and the South Road and hold South Woods. I am also going to try to get eyes on Hill 2. Not critical, but it would be nice. Below are the four forces and their objectives:

Force 1: Hill 1 – one Infantry Company with ATGs and one HMG section attached, plus one truck.
Force 2: West Woods – one Infantry Company with one HMG section attached plus one truck.
Force 3: South Road – one Infantry Company with one medium and one light tank platoon and both BA6 armored cars attached
Force 4: South Woods – one engineer platoon supported by one medium tank platoon, one HMG section, one AAMG section and both scout patrols w/transport.

Force 1 will advance up the North Road, take and control Hill 1. Additionally, recon the North Woods between Hill 1 and the South Road to prevent the enemy from sliding units through. One truck is being provided from the mortar transport to carry the HMG section. Otherwise, the group will move way too slowly.

Force 2 will advance, on foot, along the northern fringe of the South Woods, over Hill 2 and into the West Woods. This advance will be slow, so Force 3 advancing down the road will need to remain in supporting range. A truck has been provided here as well to carry the HMG section.

Force 3 will advance down the South Road, staying in supporting range of Force 2. Ideally, they will be moving in advance of Force 2 where they can hopefully engage any enemy forces seen before Force 2 blunders into them. One AC will recon down the road while the main force moves up. The other AC will move up to Hill 2 to get eyes up until a leg unit can replace them.

Force 4 will advance through the South Woods with the ultimate objective of setting up an ambush with the fire sack being the central field. The recon elements will advance through the woods to provide advance notice of approaching enemy forces.

The HQ group will move along through the North Woods, parallel and to the rear of Force 3.

I've attached a map with my basic plan outlined on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battle Plan.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	10417