.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM

First Lieutenant

Loren is on a distinguished road
Default A simple fix

The unit limit is a royal pain for freespawn races on large maps.

One thing that would reduce the pain: Make freespawn last. Process summons, then recruitment and finally freespawn.

The battles I know about + the wrath of god killed 941 units + unknown losses in a fortress battle. I'm not recruiting anything--yet no summon worked. To add insult to injury you still lose the gems.
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:12 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A simple fix

Lol
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:29 PM

BANNED USER

Novi is on a distinguished road

What's so funny? A simple cap-removal would really allay all the grief. And I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to carry out.
Old June 25th, 2007, 03:42 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

It is funny that players play the game in ways we never imagined when we made it in the firsat place.

Sometimes I catch myself thinking: suit yourself if you want that big a map. But that is not very nice of me. After all we gave you the means to be frustrated

We have increased the cap several times, and the complaint reemerges from time to time. In part it is a trade off between slower hosting, especially on slower computers, and problems in large games (in my experience really large, but I'm biased).

Freespawns last might alleviate the problem.
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Major

Hadrian_II is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:
We have increased the cap several times, and the complaint reemerges from time to time. In part it is a trade off between slower hosting, especially on slower computers, and problems in large games (in my experience really large, but I'm biased).
I dont think that a long Hosting Time is any trouble in a TBS (especially when it is made for multiplayer like dom3 and there is one turn a day at max), and as it only shows up on very large maps so people with slow Computers can take smaller maps for their own benefit.
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

The biggest problems would be Late Era games with R'lyeh and Ermor on the map. Either one of those and a large map hits the unit cap fairly fast.

If you really want to pay a massive, ridiculously large map, you should do it with a blank mod enabled, then copy-paste the No Independents mod into that. It will prevent the AI from recruiting hideous hordes of low resource indie chaff (because they all cost 9k gold, so can't be bought) except for the event spawned militias, which seriously cuts down on the number of units in the game. If you also avoid R'lyeh and Ermor in late era, you eliminate the biggest freespawn problem.
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Colonel

Velusion is on a distinguished road

While I understand the desire to increase the speed of the game for people with old computers it really sort of defeats the purpose if it just creates new all new frustrations (i.e. loosing the ability to recruit anything at all).

Putting freespawns last in the recruitment sequence would help a lot, but also giving people a the option to simply turn off the limit (even if only via a command line switch) would be the best fix (IMHO).
Old June 25th, 2007, 04:43 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:
It is funny that players play the game in ways we never imagined when we made it in the firsat place.

You thought you had made allowances for that by letting me into beta? And that I had tested the limits? I thought I had also. I ran games with 79 nations on 1500 province maps doing immeadiate auto-hosting for days (hundreds of turns).

Actually I think you guys have done great. In the first couple Doms there was a definate "what the devs feel is a reasonable game". With Dom3 you definetly made an effort to allow things lower and higher than you thought was anywhere near being reasonable.

But of course there will always be someone who will push it farther.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Corporal

silhouette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Loren said:One thing that would reduce the pain: Make freespawn last. Process summons, then recruitment and finally freespawn. ... To add insult to injury you still lose the gems.
Not to hijack a useful discussion, but a similar turn-order solution could perhaps remove the 'feature' that lets you fill your opponents labs with crap items via messages, and deny them slots for their forged items. The number of lab slots is a big limiting factor in very large games, so code the actions so all the nation's new forged items are made and go in the lab slots first, and only then items which come from messages.

On the other hand, perhaps it is designed that way on purpose, in which case I will simply hate them with a hateful firey hate burning with hate fire.[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Campfire.gif[/img]

Sill ( )
Old June 25th, 2007, 05:32 PM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Kristoffer O said:

Sometimes I catch myself thinking: suit yourself if you want that big a map. But that is not very nice of me. After all we gave you the means to be frustrated

Freespawns last might alleviate the problem.
Well then the best long term solution would be to create an "advanced options" section. A location where the host can specify the maximum number of units on the map and/or battlefield. A location where the host can specify how long a battle should last until the attacker is forced to flee. A location where the host can disable the death match arena because the AI opponents blindly send their large pretenders. Your customers with the more powerful computers can benefit at the same time your customers with the old computers will not suffer.
Creating this advanced options section places all the blame/yelling on the individual hosting the game instead of at the developers.