.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old September 13th, 2010, 01:27 AM

Captain

RERomine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DAR: USSR vs Finland II

Turn 20

Turns out there were four enemy tanks left on Hill 1. Three were on the northern peak and one the southern peak. I could only see two T-28Es on the northern peak so I decided to go after then. The tank that destroyed the two enemy light tanks to the north came up from the northeast. It was immediately fired upon by both tanks, which missed. My tank fired and destroyed one of the enemy T-28Es, but the other one destroyed him. One member of the crew survived, so nearby infantry popped smoke to cover him. Having three other tanks and two armored cars close by, I figured I could move up on the peak and swarm the survivor. First, I had to suppress the tank on the southern peak. Fire from infantry on that peak accomplished that task and my two light tanks ran for cover. I moved another tank over where the last one was destroyed and fired at the northern tank from there. The enemy tank turned and I can't kill him from the front at 400m. I moved one tank up top to get closer, but an unseen T-26 M37 fired. It was quickly destroyed, so I was able to focus back on the T-28E. Two armored cars came up and finally destroyed it. In the process, a scout and sniper were found and the last tank came up and tried to destroy them without success. Fire was also traded with the T-28E on the southern peak and infantry on both sides exchanged fire. I need to get my tanks off the hill next turn and take out that last T-28E.

Things are getting very hairy on Hill 2. Enemy infantry is forcing my troops back on the hill. My tanks are exposed now and need to pull back. Both sides are taking casualties, but they have more men in the area. I have two platoons holding this hill and they are facing two enemy companies. Making it worse enemy artillery is still hammering this hill. Since Charlie Company to the south isn't engaged at all, I will try to send some help but there is the lake directly to the north to go around. I made a comment before the battle that this lake would be a hindrance to shifting troops. Turns out to be an inconvenient truth.

One turn before my mortars turn loose and none too soon. There are Zips in the wire.

Casualties

Friendly: 1xT-26 1939 tank destroyed, estimated 15 casualties.

Enemy: 2xT-28E tanks and 1xT-26 M37 tank destroyed, estimated 20 casualties.

I'm done for the night, but have attached screen prints of Hills 1 and 2. No action on Hills 3 and 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hill 1.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	10467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hill 2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	10468  
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:59 PM

Captain

Turn 21

Pulled all my armor off of the northern peak of Hill 1, but one of my armored cars took the time to take a few shots at the enemy T-28E on the southern peak. I started by lighting the enemy tanks up with small arms. The objective was to get him to turn giving my units on the northern flank some shots. It worked and I got one flank shot. No joy; it bounced of the front anyhow. The tank turned back toward my tanks and I gave up and backed off. Before completely leaving, I made sure the sniper on that peak was destroyed. My three tanks back up to the main infantry line and the armored cars moved to where they can use the T-28E next turn. My tanks and infantry traded fire with the enemy infantry around the peak. The enemy force seems to be wavering here. I see one new enemy squad north of the hill, but it is too far off to do any harm yet and probably isn't alone.

My force on Hill 2 is stabilizing some, but life is still difficult. I pulled back one of my tanks since there was an enemy squad to his rear. He slide around the side, turned around and cut loose, sending the enemy back. My other two tanks fired at the group rounding the north side of the lake, because that seems to be where they are making the most progress. The group coming around the south side of the lake are chewed pretty well, but not out of it yet. Both enemy groups are bunching up. My mortar rounds started dropping. Unfortunately, the one targeting the northern group was about 150m off and that is the one I need on target. One 82mm and one 50mm mortar were on target for the southern group. Aside from a few enemy artillery rounds on the forward slope of Hill 2, the rest has stopped. Things are getting better, but far from peachy.

I have decided against moving in infantry reinforcements from the south. It occurred to me the enemy could very easily be sending troop around the southern side of the lake there and hit me right where my infantry use to be. My three light tanks are moving over, however.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 5 casualties.

Enemy: Estimated 15 casualties.
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:26 PM

Captain

Cool Re: DAR: USSR vs Finland II

Turn 22

I finally got that T-28E on the southern peak of Hill 1. The approach used was similar to last turn. I started with soaking off attacks with infantry. Once it was well buttoned and just firing MGs, I came up with an armored car. It took three shots (the first two missed), but it is destroyed. Once that was taken care of, I started my armored cars and two light tanks heading for a position where they could put fire onto Hill 2. Getting to the hill might be too risky. A fresh enemy platoon appeared on Hill 1. Hot fire was exchange between my forces and theirs, but both sides seem to be holding well right now.

Heavy enemy artillery hit the forward slope of Hill 2, but I started pulling back. No reason for me to hang on the edge with the numbers the enemy has to the west. Their numbers are starting to diminish, however and they don't have any more units on Hill 2. My forces were firing from Hill 1 and Hill 3, so the enemy is taking a beating now. Adjusted fire from my mortars are adding to the destruction. Unless things change, we should hold fast on the hill. One of the light tanks from the south joined the defenders, with two more on the way.

Casualties

Enemy: 1xT-28E tank destroyed, estimated 15 casualties.

Last edited by RERomine; September 14th, 2010 at 10:49 PM..
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:49 PM

Captain

Turn 23

It seems like another platoon is on or around the northern peak of Hill 1. Lots of enemy troops around, but I have decent support here. I've got one platoon on the extreme right flank which can come into support if needed. Right now, two platoons of infantry, three tanks and three HMG teams are holding their own. Firing by both sides is heavy. A couple of my units have turned, but didn't go far. The enemy has far more units running.

Enemy artillery picked up on Hill 2. No casualties, but the suppression isn't good. Enemy on the hill again from the northwest. I've backed up some and allowed them to make a little progress, but I'm still holding reasonably well. I've got a platoon of infantry in buildings nearby, but they are holding still. If they try to move forward, the whole countryside will open up on them. Friendly mortars keep hammering the enemy. The attack around the southern edge of the lake has stalled, but the northern group keeps coming.

Casualties

Enemy: Estimated 20 casualties.
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:19 PM

Captain

Turn 24

A couple more enemy squads finally showed up north of Hill 1, but not soon enough to help out their buddy who showed up first. That one has turned. There are a lot of enemy units on Hill 1, but most if not all have taken casualties. My forces are holding them out about 250m, except the occasional tank hunters that get to within 100m. Fire is still pretty hot. I leave my infantry firing to the op-fire phase because if one does fire, he draws about 10 return shots. One of my HMG teams has been turned after taking a couple of casualties. I'm bringing my flank platoon over because all they were doing was watching trees grow. My guess is there are elements of two enemy companies around Hill 1. With the two putting presure on Hill 2 and the dead reinforced tank company, I've seen all the ground units they are sending forward.

Hill 2 is still getting some artillery, but most of it is on the back side. The company HQ squad is running and isn't even on the line. The two line platoons are still holding the enemy out about 200m. Mortar fire is keeping the enemy attack very fragmented. Most enemy units are shooting and not moving.

My guess is there are elements of two enemy companies around Hill 1. With the two putting presure on Hill 2 and the dead reinforced tank company, I've seen all the ground units they are sending forward. They haven't even bothered to take the "free" flag down in the southern area. I think it is time for me to move Charlie Company out and try to hit the right flank of the attacking enemy hitting Hill 2.

Casualties

Enemy: Estimated 15 casualties.
Old September 15th, 2010, 12:01 AM

Captain

Turn 25

Another couple of fresh squads showed up on Hill 1, but they are coming in too slowly to change the outcome. The enemy attack on the hill has definitely stalled. That doesn't mean there isn't a lot of shooting going on. It just means they aren't making any progress moving forward. There are still too many shooting enemy units for me to try to push forward, but I can easily hold my ground. My flank platoon will take up a position on the reverse slope just in case fortunes of war turn and I have to back up some.

The enemy around Hill 2 are still moving forward to some extent, but appearances are deceptive. I've noticed units that are running seem to be heading south, possibly toward the road 750m away. It makes it look like they are making more progress than they really are. My troops are holding just fine. The enemy seems to have a single minded fixation on one squad in some rough surrounded by tanks. They take a shot at him and all the tanks return fire, as do a couple of other infantry units. My mortar fire has really disrupted this attack. They might not be killing many, but the suppression is just as good right now. I decided to take a risk and bring my armored cars and two light tanks over from the southern slope of Hill 1. They are skirting the western edge of a lake, which puts them close to some trees. I'm worried there might be some tank hunters around, but I decided to take the chance. One more tanks from the south has also arrived. Enemy mortars dropped some smoke on the hill, but only masked one tank.

Charlie Company is starting to move out. I found the answer to why their "sniper" ripped up one squad earlier. There are two snipers. I haven't found them, but they are somewhere between the two lakes in this area. One of my squads had five men go down. There are two accepted ways to deal with snipers: Artillery and tanks. It is too risky to send tanks out and my mortars are busy. I guess I just have to deal with the incoming sniping.

Casualties

Friendly: Estimated 10 casualties.

Have to work in the morning, so I'll put out updated screen prints of the two areas where the action is taking place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hill 1.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	10474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hill 2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	10475  
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:41 PM

Captain

Turn 26

Enemy forces on Hill 1 are starting to crumble. A fresh squad or two come up once in an while, but more of the enemy are running away than moving forward. The enemy took a number of casualties in this area, but didn't inflict any on my forces. They did shoot back, but missed.

On Hill 2, the enemy is of a mixed mind. A few squads are pushing forward, while other are running or being completely destroyed. The snipers are still active and the only enemy units scoring hits. I have five more down this turn because of them. One of the snipers is located with the flag west of the hill. Three enemy squads came up the western slope of the hill into a cross fire from seven tanks and two armored cars. They will be running before the next turn ends. My tanks are starting to move slowly forward. Enemy artillery is lighter now, but my mortars continue to pound the ground to the west. I'm shifting one to the flag where the sniper is so maybe I can put him and his buddy out of action.

Charlie still on the move. It will take time to get up to the enemy flank. Sniper fire still coming in, so smoke popped to screen the move.

Casualties

Old September 16th, 2010, 08:01 PM

Captain

Turn 27

More enemy troops coming across northern peak of Hill 1, but I honestly can't tell if they are fresh or just rallied men that ran earlier. In the middle of a fire fight, it really doesn't matter. It seems like a shooting gallery. The enemy pops up and moves forward, gets shot and drops back. Their line keeps moving forward and back. One squad I'm sure is new is north of the hill. Too far away to draw fire at the moment. I shifted one of my tanks to the saddle between the two peaks because some enemy troops are showing up there as well.

All the enemy forces that were on Hill 2 got pushed back, just to be replaced by a few more. One enemy tank hunter got to one of my tanks. Two men dead in the tank, but it is still intact. The tank hunter is destroyed. Lines are now only about 100m apart, but that is more because I'm pushing forward than the enemy.

Charlie still on the move.

Casualties

Old September 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM

Captain

Turn 28

Enemy not getting any closer than 200m on Hill 1. They are in total disarray up there. Some are shooting, some are just standing and others are running. My forces are holding their ground, which is all I'm looking for here. There is a lot of shooting. My forces are doing most of it.

Enemy artillery dropping smoke and HE on western side of Hill 2. They are trying to push infantry up. Some are showing up in the trees near my armored cars and light tanks, drawing some fire from southern peak of Hill 1. I'm going to have to pull my tanks back out of the smoke. They can't stay there without being under the protective eyes of my infantry. One big score this turn was the destruction of two enemy snipers. I fixed the position of both, even though I couldn't see them, so I pushed a squad forward. They fired and were both spotted. I opened up with everything I could and got both of them.

One platoon of Charlie taking mortar fire. The last action of two snipers.

Casualties

Old September 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM

Captain

Turn 29

Slowly, the presure is building on the right flank of my line. Enemy forces that turn and run go to the northwest. When they come back, they head east. The result is the pressure is slowly shifting up the line. Still, it isn't that much pressure. The main enemy line is now 250m away. No real threat on Hill 1.

Smoke stopped falling, but artillery is still coming in. My platoon in the buildings is getting rattled. Enemy infantry is still trying to push up in this section, but fire from my armor is holding them back. I pulled my southern group back a little out of the smoke. One enemy tank hunter team slipped through the smoke, but didn't last long. Mortar fire still dropping on the enemy. Tubes are starting to get hot and the 50mm mortars are out. Pulling them back.

Mortar fire still hitting Charlie platoon. Others are still moving forward.

Casualties