World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 12th, 2009, 11:36 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fog of war

Quote:
I am kinda disagree with the opinion that the shooting guy (if not spotted) isn't going to pop his name up on the replay screen.
Try it yourself guys. You'll see the NAME of the VEHICLE shooting.
ONE obvious thing too: if you Z fire your opponent, even when you're not yet spotted, the replay screen will give the name of that "Z" firing unit.
Guess that shows how much attention I pay to the message windows then. Tis more fun watching the on screen action as my toy soldiers go about there buisness. Might keep an eye out for penetration effects if think its doubtful at that range but thats more when I am firing.

C of Red pretty much summed it up as its a game so trys to balance starting forces bluff & counter bluff to gain area superiority play a big part, getting it wrong can have dire consequences.
Its this more than anything that is the diffrence between playing the AI & PBEM, a good player varies what he does & if he can get you wondering what hes up to you suddenly find yourself watching a replay & seeing 90% of your Tank Co become scrap. its one of those moments that changes how you play forever, less haste more recon & dont always do the obvious suddenly becomes your new strategy.

Last edited by Imp; June 12th, 2009 at 11:56 AM..
Old June 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

@ Suhiir: Thanks for teh cold wtaer. otherwise i would have been saying something more "sharp". maybe someone can kindly deleete that thing. i see no reason for that to be displayed publicly now. i was just too red.

@ Imp : Sure, I pay much attention to the message windows. It is another level of tactic in the game.
Anyway, thanks for the tips. It's my strategy to always change tactic in PBeM, especially if tis wide possible. But for unit renaming, well, stop talkin' about that.

Cheers, RightDeve

Last edited by RightDeve; June 12th, 2009 at 12:05 PM..
Old June 12th, 2009, 12:31 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Might be better if someone can delete both the post (GILA and I).
I see no use of his accusation on "cheating" in this thread. It's like a thunder amidst tranquility. Maybe he should put the words more carfully
Old June 12th, 2009, 06:45 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
its one of those moments that changes how you play forever, less haste more recon & dont always do the obvious suddenly becomes your new strategy.
This is very, very true. A cautious commander is a living commander. There are of course exptions, but for the most part, fortune favors the brave, but longevity favors the wary.

Howard Tayer
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:12 PM

General

Yes gauging when to throw caution to the wind is also an integral part, shift your attack & throw off guard or capitalise (hopefuly) on an unexpected opportunity. All this though is much easier if your recon has done its job. They might not get caught up in the fight much but boy do they keep your loses acceptable. Thinking about it if include recon in force to a large portion of my force is doing this most of the time only stopping when its time to light the fuse.
A decisive strike is then possible which is both safer & far more satisfying if you pull it off.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:04 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I THINK YOU SHOULD GO OFF THIS SITE IF YOU DON'T MIND
YOU KNOW, HOW MUCH PISSED I AM RIGHT NOW!

[/quote]

I stand by my post 100 per cent and your not one to be calling the shots are you?
Stop PMing me also they are deleted and not read, little boy.
Old June 13th, 2009, 03:25 AM

BANNED USER

c_of_red is on a distinguished road

If the game allows it, I don't consider it cheating. War has no rules, Liberals Lawyers think it does but history keeps proving them wrong.
So if you can invent something within the game system that gives you an advantage, tell me and Ill do it too. At least until the Cammo guys get wind of it and code it out. What I miss the most was the Rnging MG trick. Back in the day, you could use the co-ax MG as a range finder. Shoot the target with the 'w' key and most of the time the target wouldn't op fire back. Then you could fire the main gun with a consecutive shot bonus. It was a big help when playing the Soviets as well as being historically accurate. IIRC, it was coded out about the time Cammo and Matrix split up. The otherthing I liked was the 'bump and run'. If you could get an enemy vehile to retreat, you could run along side it ( same hex) and use it for cover to get a recon vehicle behind enemy lines. As long as the retreating ubnit was bigger then your scout, if your opponent shot at you, he would hit the bigger vehicle.Friendly fire isn't. But it is real fun to watch your opponent kill his tank trying to hit your jeep.

Going outside the system by replaying turns, changing your units to have 100+ experience, using two machines, hacking the password, using an active de-bugging tool, etc. are all cheating.
At least that is my opinion.

Here is a freeby.
When setting up, it is possible to get infantry units set up ACROSS the setup line. You place your zero unit ( platoon leader) next to the LOD (line of departure or start line) and hit the 'a' ( all) key. The program will deploy that platoons units within 5 hexes of the platoon leader. It ignores the LOD, so some of the units will wind up across the LOD. What is neet is that you can keep doing it until you get a placement you like or the zero (platoon leader) is placed on the other side of the LOD.
Can't do it with vehicles for some reason, and it isn't much of an advantage, since the most you will get is a 4 or 5 hex start on your opponent, but every bit helps. It is almost like getting an extra movement turn for some of your slower units.
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:03 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Location: Hellas->Macedonia->Thessaloniki->City Center->noisy neighbourhood
Wdll is on a distinguished road

Very lame.
Old June 13th, 2009, 06:54 AM

General

Quote:
Here is a freeby.
When setting up, it is possible to get infantry units set up ACROSS the setup line. You place your zero unit ( platoon leader) next to the LOD (line of departure or start line) and hit the 'a' ( all) key. The program will deploy that platoons units within 5 hexes of the platoon leader. It ignores the LOD, so some of the units will wind up across the LOD. What is neet is that you can keep doing it until you get a placement you like or the zero (platoon leader) is placed on the other side of the LOD.
Can't do it with vehicles for some reason, and it isn't much of an advantage, since the most you will get is a 4 or 5 hex start on your opponent, but every bit helps. It is almost like getting an extra movement turn for some of your slower units.
Good grief
Set up is the longest game turn at least for me, survey the map look at what the enemy might do form a plan & deploy accordingly. Mucking about to gain an advantage like that would be incredibly boring. Rather than trying to exploit the game which seems the way this thread is going now why not exploit the unit strengths & weaknesses of both sides. A victory is nice but its a hollow one if you did not achieve it on your own merit, the feel good factor of the game is doing something right & out foxing your opponent. What makes you feel good is things like your platoon taking on a Company from Ambush & getting 3:1 kill ratio despite the odds. Achieving questionable advantages through time consuming ploys just take away from the playability of the game though I must admit I do micro manage the range on my AA assets. Its time consuming so distracts from the game but with the low hit chances can sucker him in so you get multiple shots with climbing accuracy
Old June 13th, 2009, 09:26 AM

BANNED USER

c_of_red is on a distinguished road

Imp, if it was a really good trick, why would I go pubic with it?
No, about the only time I use it is when there is snow on the ground and I'm playing with a lot of infantry.
I just used that as an example. Just because player A knows something Player B doesn't, does not make Player A a cheater. It just means Player A has a deeper, fuller tool box.