.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

BigJMoney is on a distinguished road
Default How to successfully utilize your \"Dominion Wall\"?

Hello,

I've got a new question to open up discussion about a fundamental concept of the game that I have yet to grasp. A big part of this game is the way that dominion affects your combat ability. It gives your troops morale bonuses and it directly affects the strength of your pretender and prophet. I am currently trying to master Ulm with a strategy that gives me dominion 5. I've noticed that in the beginning it's easy to attack indie provinces where I have dominion presence, thus taking advantage of those bonuses. I call this forward spread of dominion my "Dominion Wall". Later in the game, when I'm up against other nations I might be successful in getting this wall up initially, but after I attack into it I find that I cannot get it to jump forward for the next wave of attacks.

Is this normal? If I changed my strategy to use dominion 10, would I see a noticeable difference? Is it better as a dominion 5 nation to ignore the dominion wall entirely and utilize dominion purely for defensive purposes? I tend to play with Order, Productivity, Growth +3 so I have cash to buy temples in every province and still support many Ulmish troops and researchers.

=$= Big J Money =$=
Old August 23rd, 2006, 01:30 PM

Major

KissBlade is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to successfully utilize your \"Dominion Wal

Actually this is a pretty common newbie mistake I think since when I first started playing I used to take dominion pretty high as well. Now I just use dominion 3 or 4 instead. The only time dominion really matters is with races like Abysia or Caelum who needs temperature scales and even that's pretty easy to swing with temples and such.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:16 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
KissBlade said:
Actually this is a pretty common newbie mistake I think since when I first started playing I used to take dominion pretty high as well. Now I just use dominion 3 or 4 instead. The only time dominion really matters is with races like Abysia or Caelum who needs temperature scales and even that's pretty easy to swing with temples and such.
I haven't dared to take that low dominion in a long, long time. In small maps, high-dominion opponent would force me to use resources on temples, and in long games, stealth preachers and raiders would mean that I couldn't benefit from my scales. Of course, I usually take positive scales and tend to rely on them, so your mileage may vary...
One of Gandalf's "experimental" (i.e. interesting concept that probably doesn't work) is to take VERY negative scales with a nation that doesn't rely too much on its capital, let your dominion die out almost everywhere, and use the points for something good. Like triple-bless. Of course, one'd have to be Mictlan to be able to increase dominion fast enough when it's needed, and even that's risky.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM

Second Lieutenant

Well, what about the Dominion Wall, though? Is it something you rely upon? Do you count on being able to attack into your own Dominion rather than attacking someone else's, or is it more of a convenience?

=$=
Old August 23rd, 2006, 03:51 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Sometimes I rely on it heavily, and sometimes I purposely try to stay ahead of it (if its a damaging dominion). But keep in mind that it does not follow your armies. It grows with temples and preaching. And some with your prophet and pretender. Sometimes other specialized units and even equipment.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 23rd, 2006, 04:41 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

Unless your using your prophet/pretender in combat alot you shouldnt worry about the small dominion change from dominion, if you rely on it get a tough commander (ie black lord) and give them a herald lance and a horror helm. Make them 'stay behind troops', he/they will provide a standard to keep your troops in the fight and fear to scare the enemies making up for enemy dominion.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:00 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

IIRC, the higher your base dominion the bigger the chance it will spread, so a high dominion should help.
Keep in mind though that dominion must first "fill up" a province before it can spread further, so with a high dominion you will have to wait a while before it spreads outside.
As for taking 3 or 4 dominion - don't. You'll be snuffed out before you notice and you will hardly be able to counter it.
Also, this thread should be called "How to successfully utilize the maximum amount of characters allowed in the title of a thread", just look at the titles of everyone's responses.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

My prophet is going to be on the front lines, regardless. For Ulm, the prophet is the only priest that can cast Sermon of Courage. So, if he isn't good enough in hand to hand, yeah, I'll keep him back. Question: Are you sure the standard effect is useful if he "stays behind troops"? I thought troops had to be within a certain radius of the standard to recieve the benefits. Either way, standard effects probably don't stack with Sermon of Courage, so I guess it's not important in this case.

=$=
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:41 PM

Colonel

shovah is on a distinguished road

Im pretty sure standard stacks with sermon but not 100%, you do have to be within a radius which is why i said to set him on stay behind troops.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:29 PM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

Quote:
KissBlade said:
Actually this is a pretty common newbie mistake I think since when I first started playing I used to take dominion pretty high as well. Now I just use dominion 3 or 4 instead.
It's not a newbie mistake to take a high dominion. I never play with a starting dominion less than 6. With a dominion strength of 3, your temples will only spread dominion 3 out of 10 turns, whereas anybody with 6 will have twice as many dominion spreading events.