.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old August 14th, 2007, 05:59 AM

Private

weimaar is on a distinguished road
Default Will there be a Dominions 4

Hi boys and girls! What an alive and vibrant forum this subsection has turn out to be!

My first post here. I've got a quick question: Will there be a Dominions 4? Are there any rumors out there about what the next game of Illwinter will be?
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:01 AM

Sergeant

coobe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Will there be a Dominions 4

Illwinter said that there will be no Dominions4.

Maybe another game, but it really looks like there wont be a dom4 in the near future
Old August 14th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

Quote:
coobe said:
Illwinter said that there will be no Dominions4.

Maybe another game, but it really looks like there wont be a dom4 in the near future
Yes I have heard this as well.

The reason I believe is the developers feel they have pushed the dominions game engine as far as it can go.

However, this is not going to stop me wishing like mad for dominions 4 and if not dominions 4 how about something new but very dominions'ish. You know for the 21st century, please, pretty please?

Of course the patches can satisfy the addiction cravings till then...
Old August 14th, 2007, 10:59 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I'm happy enough with dom3 to be honest - not feeling the need for a sequel unless it had a totally revamped GUI, AI etc - which would be a huge project.

Modding can take Dom3 very far imho.
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

The developers have said that they are driven by fun. Dominions 3 is setup so that it can expand what it has fairly easily. But most of a "Dominions 4" would involve rewriting much of the game from the beginning. Thats not much fun.

From an interview that Illwinter did...
Quote:

Saving the most obvious question for last: Is Dominions 4 the next Illwinter project?

Changes, add-ons and patches for Dom3 first. There are lots of ideas that could be implemented in later expansions for Dom3.
What will happen later we don't know yet. It would be fun to make another type of game, to start from scratch.
But it will be hard not to think in terms of Dominions. Perhaps an RPG in the Dominions setting, RTS Dominions, Dominions SPACE, I don't know.
And a long interesting thread that was sparked off by that comment.
We love you Illwinter but..
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

I personally would love to see an RTS from Illwinter. Especially if it was done in the right way, and knowing Illwinter, it will be. I think RTS doesn't get enough respect from "die-hard" strategy fans. I am generally a fan of slower-paced strategy games with focus on real thought and strategy just like you guys (that's why I'm here!), but RTS can provide that as well. It's just it almost never does because the games are not designed that way.

One of my favorite games of all times (along with Dominions) is an RTS called Kohan. It's a slow-paced, thinking man's RTS that has some real strategy to it. They made a Kohan II as well, but they increased the pace, made it more "accessible", and more like Warcraft III and of course destroyed everything that was great about Kohan I in the process.

Anyway. A Dominions-style Space Conquest game would be great, too!

Illwinter should make the games they want to make, I guess that's what I'm saying. Until they put out a bad game, I think we should trust them.
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:58 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Yeah I enjoyed Kohan and, like you, didn't enjoy the sequel much at all. One of the best things about Kohan was the feeling when you got a new amulet and you were seeing who you'd end up with. Like opening a 'blind' pack of some collector's item.
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Private

EarthRaver is on a distinguished road

another kid's dream broken i want my mummy sob sob no dominion 4 ! why why in the earth!!!
Old August 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Oh, interesting about Kohan. I only tried the demo of Kohan II, not the original, and saw that although there was good work in it, I would hate it because of things like they way a unit representing a company of warriors could be killed down to 10%, then "healed up" to 100% with no loss of experience, and other typical RTS annoyances.

I _still_ play Bungie's Myth series (mostly modded multi-player), which is a (near ten-year-old) real-time tactical game, which I like because it allows focus on fighting without having to do research and resource-gathering at the same time at a completely-out-of-proportion time scale, which is one major element that makes me dislike most RTS games (that and ones where you can't pause yet your attention is needed in several places at once or your men get slaughtered without your control and you may not even get to see what happened to them - that tends to kill my interest).
Old August 15th, 2007, 01:22 AM

Major

Morkilus is on a distinguished road

Dominions 3 is perfect. Where could they go to next... Dominions in SPAAAACE?

please?