.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 5th, 2012, 02:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

JonBrave is on a distinguished road
Default Irrevocable Actions?

This post of Soy's http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showp...&postcount=150 (my incorrect assumption that a strategic map shape change, which can be undone, would preserve originally carried items) leads me to wonder how many turn-based actions cause a change which cannot be undone? You would have to do a reload & restart turn to back out of it. Are there many things like this --- mostly you can change your mind to your heart's content? I can think of:
  • Example like shape change, perhaps others, where a carried item could be lost and you can't retrieve it.
  • Converting gems between themselves or into money.
  • Giving someone a cursed item.
  • Giving a mercenary some gems/items.
  • Accidentally click on item "throw away" (trivial, but annoying!)

Anything else "non-trivial" I ought to know about which could mean turn restarting (SP!)?
Old December 6th, 2012, 06:10 AM

First Lieutenant

jimbojones1971 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Irrevocable Actions?

Yeah, cursed items. Like when I just gave two lycanthropos amulets to the same commander because i was in a hurry, AFTER i had spent 40 minutes setting up a huge battle. Gah! So now I have a very very angry Asynja :-)
Old December 7th, 2012, 07:41 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

Sending messages, items and gems to other players.

Cancelling recruits remaining from the previous turn resets resources, for example a resource 21 indie commander in a resource 12 province, if you bought him last turn and accidentally cancel him you'll have to restart or wait 2 turns again. I picked the indie commander example because that's the one I can think of having real significance.

Removing troops from a commander that for some reason has had his leadership decreased below the number of troops he commands, the troops cannot be moved back to him once removed. Heroic stupidity and a few afflictions does this, not sure exactly what all the possible situations are.

Shapechange into a form without the shapechange command. A few mods use this, like insectoids where the hive queen cannot be made mobile after changing into her immobile form.

--

Not something that falls under this category, but in the same vein perhaps: Prophets cannot be renamed, you must rename your prophet before making him your prophet. Makes sense thematically, but I've been really frustrated by it in RP games.
Old December 7th, 2012, 09:40 AM

Major

Nagot Gick Fel is on a distinguished road

Bogus & Co - "convincing" one/some of them to join your cause and giving them new tactical orders (while failing to copy the old ones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomen View Post
Removing troops from a commander that for some reason has had his leadership decreased below the number of troops he commands, the troops cannot be moved back to him once removed. Heroic stupidity and a few afflictions does this, not sure exactly what all the possible situations are.
A common example is the High Priest event. Free leadership 40 leader, leading a random number (sometimes 41+) of militia.
Old December 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is a bug I think. I have seen item based leadership changes dump troops that where over leadership. But not heroic stupidity.
http://wolfsbane.alwaysdata.net/Spells.html
Test stuff, use the debug mod:
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=36453
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Cancelling recruits remaining from the previous turn resets resources, for example a resource 21 indie commander in a resource 12 province, if you bought him last turn and accidentally cancel him you'll have to restart or wait 2 turns again. I picked the indie commander example because that's the one I can think of having real significance.
Thanks, didn't know that one.
Old December 7th, 2012, 05:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

In the same vein, from the moment I click (perhaps accidentally) on a mage/leader's "set battle orders" line, and for whatever reason his orders have not been copied, is there anything I can do to not cancel his orders?