Old November 9th, 2004, 12:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

Joachim is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBW RACE TO SEV TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Renegade 13 said:
Quote:
Gozra said:
We have found a bit of information to be entertaining. It seems that four empires have formed a kill everyone but us alliance. The pladino collective have become an apendage to these four. I would suggest that all who are not part of this alliance form an anti-alliance Alliance. I would be willing to be a part of this alliance until the 4 are destroyed. Next turn I will offer partnerships to all those who are not of the 4. You may do as you will.

The Hamamatsu Federation
I assume you're talking about the Atull game. Well, seeing as how I'm one of the empires that is a victim of the 4 empire alliance, I would be willing to join you. Or rather, I would be willing, except that I have lost nearly all of my planets, almost all of my ships, and will declare myself dead within a couple of turns. So no need to propose a partnership to the Tyrellian Imperium
It is an unfortunate product of the game set up - it encourages these early partnerships and trading/research deals. You have to engage in them or you get left behind. Perhaps the next round should have a strict no treaty above NA and no trading including ships.

And speaking as the Dei to the Hams... If you were brave enough to pick religious you were always going to be a target.
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:29 PM

Sergeant

Cheeze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Joachim said:
It is an unfortunate product of the game set up - it encourages these early partnerships and trading/research deals. You have to engage in them or you get left behind. Perhaps the next round should have a strict no treaty above NA and no trading including ships.
If four empires decide to team up and take out everyone else..not one of those rules you mention has absolutely ANY effect on that kind of agreement.

Where's the ka-boom? There was supposed to be an Earth-shattering ka-boom!
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Cheeze said:
Quote:
Joachim said:
If four empires decide to team up and take out everyone else..not one of those rules you mention has absolutely ANY effect on that kind of agreement.
Yes it does. THe advantage of 4 teaming up is that you only have to research a quarter of the tech, or in other words you get 4 times as much tech. Plus the immeadiate trade of at least 2 or 3 breather types (possibly 4 if you are lucky) and 2 or 3 colony types. You can also trade resources, allowing the most efficient use of everyone's planets.

So, contrary to your "ANY" clearly, not allowing trade of any kind stops the research, breather, colony type and resource trades. So please explain how this would not balance the field better? The remaining players still have a chance as they will not be left so far behind on the tech tree and colonisation tree.
Old November 9th, 2004, 08:05 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Joachim said:
Yes it does. THe advantage of 4 teaming up is that you only have to research a quarter of the tech, or in other words you get 4 times as much tech. Plus the immeadiate trade of at least 2 or 3 breather types (possibly 4 if you are lucky) and 2 or 3 colony types. You can also trade resources, allowing the most efficient use of everyone's planets.

So, contrary to your "ANY" clearly, not allowing trade of any kind stops the research, breather, colony type and resource trades. So please explain how this would not balance the field better? The remaining players still have a chance as they will not be left so far behind on the tech tree and colonisation tree.
No, since they can do all those things with every player. However, an agreement to eliminate everyone else is not something your rules have any effect. So there is no balancing on that. Explain to me how these stipulations effect that kind of strategy.

Old November 9th, 2004, 08:15 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Cheeze said:
Quote:
Joachim said:

No, since they can do all those things with every player. However, an agreement to eliminate everyone else is not something your rules have any effect. So there is no balancing on that. Explain to me how these stipulations effect that kind of strategy.
Because it gives the other players a chance. Simply put, an alliance of 4 trading everything will put themselves so far ahead with tech that the remaining players cannot stand a chance. If they dont have that advantage the other players still do have a chance. Not as good, but much better than it is with a wide tech gap.
Old November 9th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Sergeant

They have the same chances either way. One way might take slightly longer, that's all.

Without the ability to receive support or information from others, those rules isolate the other empires even more, and make them easier targets for the four allies, only the targets have even less chance of knowing what is happening.

Old November 10th, 2004, 10:12 AM

General

Ed Kolis is on a distinguished road

Remember though, that if I understand the rules correctly, only one empire from each game will advance to round 2, where the prizes are guaranteed... so the 4 empires in any alliance will still have to fight it out just like any other alliance in a cutthroat game
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:39 PM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

yep only one empire makes it... so the weaker ones of the alliance should perhaps think about their game plan... as finishing 2nd in the first round is as good as finishing 10th

Hence why the game is set up the way it is.

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly
Old November 14th, 2004, 10:04 PM

Sergeant

brianeyci is on a distinguished road

Tesco check your mail we need a ruling in the Osshod Game.

Brian
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:37 AM

General

tesco samoa is on a distinguished road

it is being looked at.

Hey GUTB where did you go...???

He is still driving his mighty armada at 3 miles per month along the interstellar highway bypass and will be arriving shortly