This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old October 24th, 2004, 10:41 PM

Private

Black Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Supply ...Can`t Get There from Here

I`ve been playing with Warp Points Not Connected on a large map. In my current Game I has a small group of 5 systems, with perhaps 24 planets, of those 5 were size 15- 20, the rest 1-3`s.

I had built up about 400,000 reserve in Minerials and 200,00 in radioactives.

After researching the ability to open warp points, which was well into the Game, I built 5 Battleships, 2 Minelayers and 2 Battle Cruisers,in which I just had Quantum Resonators to open a Warp Point to another system.

Seems a very modest force to me, given my production, and at that time I was at +1100 Minerals and +1200 radioactive production. I stopped all research.

However as soon I moved the Fleet out of the planet orbit the supply fell through the floor and went to -185,000 minerial and - 120,00 radioactives.

Needless to say in 2 turns the entire fleet was disbanded by the AI and that Game was over.

What`s up with that ? Why would moving the Fleet cost Minerials, and why the sudden drop ? Is there a game setting I need to toggle ?

This seems nuts.
Old October 24th, 2004, 11:17 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Supply ...Can`t Get There from Here

Open your Construction Que and select USAGE from the tabs. This will show you were your resources are going production wise.

Also, ship maintenance is sometimes costly.

Those Warp Opener ships do cost $$ to maintain.

You can mothball ships by having them at a planet with a ship yard facilitie. You should see a green recycle symbol, click on it and you can mothball ships or scrap them.

Place things on hold in your construction que to save $$.

Also when colonizing a planet be sure to optimize the facilitie choices you make. If the planet is 9% mineral, 140% farm, and 88% Rad, building Mineral Facities on that planet is about pointless.
Old October 24th, 2004, 11:43 PM

Private

bbq is on a distinguished road

I think the problem is the Warp Opener ship. They are insanely expensive to maintenance because the Warp Opening component costs a ton. I always mothball it at a shipyard immediately after its use.
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:30 AM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
bbq said:
I think the problem is the Warp Opener ship. They are insanely expensive to maintenance because the Warp Opening component costs a ton. I always mothball it at a shipyard immediately after its use.
I used to do that too, but not often anymore. By the time I research it, and the ship gets built, I always make sure to colonize a ton of planets, and I'm rolling in resources.
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:36 AM

Colonel

Arkcon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Black Cat said:
What`s up with that ? Why would moving the Fleet cost Minerials, and why the sudden drop ? Is there a game setting I need to toggle ?

This seems nuts.
True 'nuf, that does seem nuts. But I don't think that's whats happened. Even in orbit maintenance would have backrupted you.

And I really don't get the supply drop to the floor -- did you forget engines and supply storage, and just not notice the red ballel when in orbit?

For some reason, I tended to forget to put engines on warp point openers and planet creators/smashers -- more so than other ships. Dunno why that is, just excited I guess.
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:26 AM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

If he forgot engines the ship wouldn't have moved at all.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old October 25th, 2004, 03:44 AM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Black Cat said:

However as soon I moved the Fleet out of the planet orbit the supply fell through the floor and went to -185,000 minerial and - 120,00 radioactives.

He says supply fell through the floor AND went to "low Resource amounts". I believe Black Cat is confusing supplies with resources. Doesn't explain the maintenance problem though.
Old October 26th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Private

Black Cat is on a distinguished road

Yes, I did mis-state the " supplies "", the Thread title should have been "Resources", in fact all were in supply. It was the low resource issue I was talking about.

It seems that even vast empires can`t maintain large Fleets, even without expensive units like Warp ships and Star killers.

With owning over 30 systems now on a large Map, many very rich size 20 planets, and maxed resource techs I can only really support about 20 Dreadnoughts, 2 CVL`s some few Cruisers and 2 Aux. repair Ships and 1 Warp Ship.

I`ve come back to the Game recently, and when I got it on first release, I really don`t remember this huge maintance cost issue for Ships. Was this introduced in a recent Patch ?
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:19 PM

First Lieutenant

spoon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Black Cat said:
even vast empires can`t maintain large Fleets, even without expensive units like Warp ships and Star killers.

What did you set your Maintence Aptitude to when you set up your race? Because unless you dropped it, you shouldn't be having such severe maintenance problems.

In the future, if you don't do this already, ALWAYS set your Maintenance Aptitude to 110%. It makes a huge difference.
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:23 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
spoon said:
In the future, if you don't do this already, ALWAYS set your Maintenance Aptitude to 110%. It makes a huge difference.
In addition to being absurdly cheap to purchase. 500 points for the ability to support 67% more ships...
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.