.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old April 21st, 2004, 10:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dominions II T-Shirt Contest

1. Dominions II - Now with extra smiting.
2. Why pretend? Be a god!
3. Now's a good time to go apocalyptic!
3. Be a god they said! Rule the world they said! All it got me was sore eyes, a headache and sleepless nights.
4. Every god has its day.
5. Dominions II - Chess has come a long way baby.
6. Worship me! I'm a god! (Well in Dominions 2 anyway...)
7. It's not who you are that counts. It's who you can smite with divine might.
8. You may be a brillant strategist, but you're no Dominions II player yet kid.
9. If you're so smart how come I never seen you play Dominions 2?
10. Dominions 2 - What the seventh day was all about.
11. Don't worry. Just because I'm a veteran Dominions 2 player doesn't mean I respect you any less. Puny mortal.
Old April 21st, 2004, 10:59 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Some religious stuff in no particular order. Not sure if it is good to use biblical stuff, but I couldn't resist.

1. After this I beheld, and lo another, like a leopard, which had upon the back of it four wings of a fowl; the beast had also four heads; and dominion was given to it. (Daniel 7:6)

2. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and Languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everLasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed. (Daniel 7:14)

3. But the judgment shall sit, and they shall take away his dominion, to consume and to destroy it unto the end. (Daniel 7:26)

4. This one who contended first received the crown, gained dominion, and appeared, giving light to everyone. (Nag Hammadi Library - The teachings of Silvanus)

5. When ye therefore shall see the Abomination of Desolation (matthew 24:15)

6. It is I who am God, and there is no other one that exists apart from me. (Nag Hammadi - On the Origin of the World)

7. But for corruption thou hast made Belial, an angel of hostility. All his dominion is in darkness, and his purpose is to bring about wickedness and guilt. (Qumran scrolls 1QM according to several sources, but it's not. Probably a modern remake).

I'm personally fond of 'Något Gick Fel!'
Old April 21st, 2004, 11:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

E. Albright is on a distinguished road

Mayhap someone ought to sticky this, lest all who would contribute make their marks, and then just take to editing them as the thread sinks into obscurity...

Just a (possibly needless) thought.

[Edit: oh, and to date, I'm favoring 'Något Gick Fel' and Leif's #22...]

[ April 21, 2004, 22:24: Message edited by: E. Albright ]
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:35 PM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

Some good suggestions there, but shouldnt a t-shirt hold something non-players should understand? Hmm, i can only contribute these two, and they are both not exactly of my own invention:

1. Some say prayers, but I say "MINE!"

(inspired by the lyrics of the song "Dominion")

2. Dominions2 will crush this world and make its inhabitants slaugther one another!

(inspired by the Game description of the Moloch and some thread on this forum)

[ April 23, 2004, 14:21: Message edited by: Chazar ]
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:43 PM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Chazar:
Some good suggestions there, but shouldnt a t-shirt hold something non-players should understand? Hmm, i can only contribute this one, and it isnt exactly my invention (inspired by the lyrics of the song "Dominions"):
Yes and no. The very best slogans for things like this are those that have a simple, easily understandable meaning that everybody gets and also a different, humorous meaning to the people in the know. The second best slogans are, in my opinion, those that sound intriguing to ordinary mortals, and are inherently funny to insiders. Third best is slogans with a generic meaning which fits the game. Fourth best is slogans that seem bizarre and meaningless (as opposed to intriguing) unless you're an insider. The worst slogans are the ones that have a generic meaning that doesn't have any connection with the issue. (All very much IMO, of course.)
Old April 22nd, 2004, 03:56 PM

Captain

Chazar is on a distinguished road

@Leif_-: Roughly agreed. I would just draw the line before the fourth best according to your rating...at least for deciding for myself whether I would show myself in the public with such a shirt

[ April 22, 2004, 14:59: Message edited by: Chazar ]
Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM

Major

Tim Brooks is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Some good suggestions there, but shouldnt a t-shirt hold something non-players should understand?
Totally from a Publisher's point of view: The best slogan is one that will make someone reading the t-shirt ask the wearer "What is this about?" or at least want to make the reader visit the website.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 04:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Brooks:
quote:
Some good suggestions there, but shouldnt a t-shirt hold something non-players should understand?
Totally from a Publisher's point of view: The best slogan is one that will make someone reading the t-shirt ask the wearer "What is this about?" or at least want to make the reader visit the website.
Agreed. Besides the fact that its the companys who will decide what goes on the shirts... I think I would still prefer to wear a shirt that had something to make people interested in the game. Some of these are funny and would be great to wear at a "Dominions" convention, but not for the public. That doesnt mean they are wasted. They will make great sig files for Posts here or on Usenet newsGroups.

I also think that I would automatically NOT want to wear anything with bible or quran quotes. It just brings conversations to mind that I dont want to be part of. An interested person based on those, who asked what Dominions was, might not like the description. Just not the discussion I would want to have in a grocery store.

Im trying to come up with more that challenge people who think they can handle a GOOD strategy game.

[ April 22, 2004, 15:56: Message edited by: Gandalf Parker ]
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old April 22nd, 2004, 05:18 PM

Second Lieutenant

JaydedOne is on a distinguished road

I'm busy and feeling all-around uncreative, but my only request is that the saying picked have some distinctive Dominions II flavor to it. It shouldn't be a quote that could be applied to just about any other GodGame out there -- it needs to have flavor that is both immediately recognizable to Dominions II players and intriguing/unique enough for non-players to ask "Hey, what's THAT all about?"

So, yeah, cool quotes that come from movies, literature, and commercials or other stuff that could be found in variety of non-Dominions contexts shouldn't be up for the running. I'll list a few of my Favorites here in a sec.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 07:13 PM

Major General

Ragnarok-X is an unknown quantity at this point

1. ^ Bogus (yeah trolls look like this)