.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Land of Legends

Old September 21st, 2005, 09:45 PM

Private

Pluvious is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Not to be rude...

[quote]
Hiro_Antagonist said:
Quote:
Ed Kolis said:

Honestly, if you're a fan of these types of games, I recommend that you check out the newest Age of Wonders game, and maybe even Disciples II while you're at it. They're both fairly old and suffer heavily from mega-stack syndrome, but are otherwise great (larger-scale) fantasy turn-based strategy games. That's one refreshingly great thing about both Wesnoth and LOL -- neither game suffers from the megastack syndrome that affects most fantasy turn-based games.

-Hiro_Antagonist
Don't forget the Heroes of Might and Magic series.

To me the best thing about Lol is that it is unique. You just don't see many short turn based strategy games. There are some purely "fighting" short turn based games but none that are short with the strategy elements (moving, purchasing units, etc).

However, Hiro, you have talked about the "Megastack Syndrome" of other games before in a derogatory manner. I know you're just playing around and all and stating your opinion but I just thought I would explain why "I" like more diversity and choice in a strategy fantasy turn based game.

It all comes down to exploration and not simply out-thinking someone or analyzing something as accurately as possible. I just like to explore, find new things, see how all the possible scenarios/heroes/items, etc all fit together. Winning and losing is always secondary to me.

To put it another way, I like chess to a certain degree but it doesn't hold my attention that long. People who play chess likely have more sophisticated mathematical brains and enjoy the mental challenge. I enjoy it at times. I feel like I'm in between chess and an rpg.

Anyway, just some commentary. Maybe not the place for it...
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:48 PM

Private

Hells_Kitchen_Gamer is on a distinguished road

The original Heroes of Might and Magic was a nice game, but when they came out with new versions they had to keep adding more stuff, and it's not clear at all that this was actually an improvement.

It's nice to see a game with a simple philosophy behind it, and I went and put my order in for it, but it's not clear that this type of game will catch on because it's not glitzy enough for the average person who has been spoiled by massive graphical and musical extravaganzas.
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:32 PM

Private

Richie is on a distinguished road

I took a look at Battle for Wesnoth and it is a pretty different game than Land of Legends. First of all, LOL uses squares and BfW uses hexagons. Using hexagons adds a layer of tactics. The pacing of the two games is different. LoL has a very quick pacing, BfW is slower (Dominions being the slowest by far). LoL is closer to a puzzle type game, BfW is closer to a traditional board game like Divine Right.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:44 AM

General

Graeme Dice is on a distinguished road

A major problem with Wesnoth is that it requires you to use extremely gamey tactics to level up your units. I can't stand games that require you to weaken opponents units, then let them beat on you for a while while you run around killing the already mostly dead units with a single unit that you want to give experience to.