.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old November 29th, 2005, 05:32 PM

General

Ironhawk is on a distinguished road
Default New Magic Paths in Dom3?

Hey, does anyone know if there are going to be any new magic paths in Dom3? Theres been all this talk about magic and units and summons and stuff. But so far I havent heard anything so basic as to whether existing magic paths might be removed/added/changed.
Old November 29th, 2005, 07:27 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Magic Paths in Dom3?

heh i think 10 is probably enough (inc. holy and unholy) - get more of the spells usable in each path, and that would be more than enough
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:52 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

It might drop down to 9.
" Re: ArcoBlood Mod Finished [Re: Arryn]
#343063 - Thu Mar 24 2005 01:31 PM

Initially we didn't intend for good and evil, holy and unholy to be in the game. Evil is in the eye of the beholder.

Unholy was added as an ad hoc solution to the fact that holy priests were more or less useless to undead priests of Ermor (dom1). At that time bless effects etc was handled a bit differently and most of ermors troops didn't have morale. Preaching was also something we imagined the undead didn't do. Therefore unholy priests were added.

Currently you can consider unholy those priestly powers that are influenced by the underworld and the unliving. Unholy has always felt a bit ad hoc. Especially when broken empire Ermor got unholy priests. They were made to be able to preach and reanimate.

Unholy is getting a rework in DOM3. Undead priests have 'unholy' powers of reanimation, but the unholy tag is removed. All priests are priests."

That could mean that different nations have different national Holy spells, and thus there is no need for Unholy spells. But it might just mean that both Unholy and Holy priests are Sacred.
Old November 30th, 2005, 08:58 PM

Sergeant

Wick is on a distinguished road

But will we get priests that can "reanimate" cherubim? Awe +0, flight, and little baby fists?
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:02 AM

Probably not:
Quote:
Kristoffer in a Dom III Dev Diary:
Another topic is the Angels. I like Angels, more than Devils actually, but I never really liked the Angels in Dominions. They are ugly, they are friendly and they don't sing. Devils are way cooler, and that is bad. Bad to the bone. Angels rule, or should rule. Impossible to behold they mete out the justice of the Lord or praise Him with their otherworldly hymns. So now the Angels have new sprites that I like. I have the harbinger as my new forum avatar. Seems appropriate. Now they have to be revamped to be on par
with Arch Devils. There is also a new angelic being to match the Demon Lords. Feels good.
Cherubim as cute angels don't exactly deliver out the justice of their Lord... So I don't think there will be weak angels/angelic creatures. You might be able to mod it, though.

Besides that, I'm not sure if you will be able to mod it either as a unit type's ability, or as an ability all priests of certain nation that have high-enough holy power have.
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:11 PM

Private

boltcutter is on a distinguished road

I'd love weak Angels as "messengers of the Lord"- especially if they could bring gems, magic items, etc. with them.

Heck, I'd like that ANYWAY, as a "utility" spell- like the ones that give +1 Prot per level of Earth, etc.

If they're in your dominion [maybe only very high dominion] you can pick and place items and gems.
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
boltcutter said:
I'd love weak Angels as "messengers of the Lord"- especially if they could bring gems, magic items, etc. with them.

Heck, I'd like that ANYWAY, as a "utility" spell- like the ones that give +1 Prot per level of Earth, etc.

If they're in your dominion [maybe only very high dominion] you can pick and place items and gems.
That's a very interesting idea! Whenever a condition is fulfilled, certain creatures can access the laboratory screens for magic items and gems...

That's a pretty powerful ability, but interesting, and not that overpowered either (I think). And as long as they don't have stealth, they can't be "abused" as scouts are currently.
They shouldn't be able to forge/summon in labless provinces, though. That would probably be overpowered.