.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Closed Thread

Old September 26th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

Esben Mose Hansen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New & raw web based Dominion II game server

Newbie game start 3 was crashed with a "Something went wrong"... and then the word "pillager". Don't know what that is about. :-( I'll look into it later, but maybe you should contact Illwinter and hear if it means anything to them. Apparantly, it happens around a new turn generation. I can provide the game files no problem for error diagnostics.

The other finished game will be stopped at earliest convenience if It is not already
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:11 PM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road

Thnx Esben . I just got the error msg server connection broken when i ended my turn and then the game was set to stopped . I will make a thread hopefully it helps something
Old September 26th, 2004, 03:35 PM

First Lieutenant

Huzurdaddi is on a distinguished road

Esben,

is there any way to run on your server with a mod? Or does the command line Version not support that yet?
Old September 26th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Second Lieutenant

The 2.14 Version support mods, but I haven't yet made the infrastructure on the server. I will, but real life is currently quite full...
Old September 27th, 2004, 12:47 AM

First Lieutenant

Thufir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Esben Mose Hansen said:
Quote:
archaeolept said:
...by implementing a "force to anonymous" option or some other sort of force kick. Too often someone joins but doesn't register in the thread, and so ignores a game's special rules. I've almost needed to have this option before, and the only way at the moment is to nuke the whole game and recreate it...
Just drop me an email or PM when you need to do this. At some point I'll get annoyed enough to implement it
Esben, I just wanted to point out that this feature would get some use in a number of cases where the game owner was not forced to PM you in order to get the person off. Although I've never once been forced to PM you to get someone off, if this feature existed I'm sure that I would have used it four or five times in the course of the four games I've started up. IMO, it's something that could speed up game start times by a day or so, and would reduce the frequency of borked pretender uploads.

That's not to say that this feature should be a top priority. I'm sure most of us would rather see your very valuable time used to implement the mod dropdown option. I'm just trying to say that if you're not getting any PMs, that does not indicate that this is a zero-value feature.

BTW, shouldn't we get this thread moved to the new Server-Multiplayer forum?
Old September 27th, 2004, 03:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Thufir said:That's not to say that this feature should be a top priority. I'm sure most of us would rather see your very valuable time used to implement the mod drop down option. I'm just trying to say that if you're not getting any PMs, that does not indicate that this is a zero-value feature.

BTW, shouldn't we get this thread moved to the new Server-Multiplayer forum?
I'm aware that people don't call on me every time there is a problem, but I have to date received less than 3 request to kick somebody, so the demand seems to be less than spectacular.

And yes, mods are my first priority. My second is the two "new" victory conditions.

As to what forums this thread belongs, I must say that I don't know. I my head this just proves that whenever you try to partition some set, some members are hard to place Anyways, since the Moderators have left it here, I guess this means we're staying here for now.

Take care!
Old October 9th, 2004, 05:13 PM

Corporal

Grim Knight is on a distinguished road

The Game Low Magic game 3 is now concluded. odd_enuf the owning player was eliminated quite awhile ago and I do not know if he is around to change the game status to stopped. The victory condition has however been met, with Ermor conquering the requisite number of Victory Point Provinces and completly eliminating all but one other opponent who just announced a switch to AI.

So this game can be stopped and thus open another spot on the server.
Old October 12th, 2004, 06:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

Default This thread is dead, now.

Hi,

just as a heads up, I'll not be visiting these forums any more, so this thread is basically pointless and should be locked, now. My server will stay up for now, but will likely host a reduced number of games sometime in the future. Eventually, the server may be reduced to a private one depending on what other stuff I may be hosting on from it.

No games will be forcefully killed because of this.

If you need help, please email me. I will not read any PM in this system, mostly because the system doesn't work very well.

Bye, and thanks for all the fish.
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Lieutenant General

archaeolept is on a distinguished road
Default Re: This thread is dead, now.

Sorry you're leaving Esben - your server has been a great resource for everyone playing dominions II. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this.
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: This thread is dead, now.

OK, one thing I did forget to say and then I really will be going: I have not updated the sources posted on my site recently. This is because no-one has shown much interest in setting up a similar server. Anyways, if anybody would like the code, it is still released under the GPL (free as in beer and free as in freedom), but email me first to get the latest code. Which is actually 2 sets of code: My current beta (which has 60% integrated forums and a preliminary mod support) and the current stable (which is what you see).

A basic rundown on what you need:

Software:
A modern OS (Capable of fork() and pseudo-tty's. Which means: If you can get IO-TTY working (it's a Perl package), you're set. I doubt windows can do this, but I don't know this.)
Perl (I use 5.8.2, but I doubt this would be required)
Mysql (It would be trivial to recode for another db, the db interface is one file < 300 lines)
Apache (or another HTTP server capable of SSL and Perl-CGI, but do yourself a service and use the best HTTP-server out there.)

Hardware:
A permanent IP address (or at least a properly configured dyndns)
Some RAM (256MB is about 20 games with lots of swap)
Any processor (my load was less than 0.01, though turn genration could take a bit of time)

Human resources
A bit of time for the admin (I spent less than 30min a week for this, so it's not a huge load, but still)
Willingness to have a server running permanently. Remember the power bill -- not huge, but you will be able to see it in your bill if you have an average house)
Willingness to learn SQL
A bit of Perl could come in handy as well.

FINALLY: The server is not going to be taken down tommorrow or next week. It is these forums and the, eh, conservative atmosphere I'm tired of --- that every discussion is hammered with flames, reactionary comments and so on. Nothing personal, you understand, but there are friendlier places to hang out, so I'll hang out there instead.

BUT: The number of concurrent games the server can host will have to be reduced, because a) I need a bit of space for my own purposes and b) the server is effectively red-lining, and as my budget does allow for a replacement before spring, I need to take care of the one I have. So maybe I will only host 15 or maybe as low as 10 games in the future. EVENTUALLY, the server may be taken down. He knows? I'll not be here to tell you, so I'm telling you now.

P.S: Be sure to mail me if I can help with anything. Use the address on my home page. The PM system in these forums are broken beyond all hope of repair, so I've disabled them.

P.P.S: To the Moderators: Maybe this thread should be locked?