.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars > Multiplayer & AARs

Old October 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM

Private

Rowlff is on a distinguished road
Default PBEM server - first beta Online

Like discussed in the recent 'PBEM recommendations'-thread, I have been working on a fully automatic PBEM server for 'Dominions II'.
This system, while easy to install (needing only PHP5 and a cronjob), will allow people to host a large number of PBEM games with minimal admin supervision.

It's not done yet (which most of all means, that no games are actually hosted), but I have put a first working beta Online at

http://rowlff.dotgeek.org/domserv/

where you can already set up player accounts, create games, edit and join them, upload .2h files, ...

Please have a go at it, to find the inevitable bugs, give me your ideas, wishes, complaints!

I'll continue the work in the next days - and if I could take Gandalf up on his offer to use his server, we might have a working Version with live games soon (^_^)

-Marc
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:55 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PBEM server - first beta Online

Quote:
Rowlff said:
This system, while easy to install (needing only PHP5 and a cronjob), will allow people to host a large number of PBEM games with minimal admin supervision.
Only PHP5 and cron? Using comma dilimeted text files for a database? (which would be fine with me)

So this is going to be webbased PbEM? upload/download turm files and scripted "host & quit" cron jobs?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 27th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Private

I use PHP 5's built in SQLite as a database (which is the reason I didn't go with the more widespread Version 4).
That gives me full SQL capabilities without having to install anything else...

And yes to your other question: The cron job will just have to call a 'runhost' script every hour (or whatever 'granularity' of schedule you prefer), and this automatically determines the games that are due for a host and runs them!
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:31 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

It looks really good. Simple. Maybe even simple enough for me to understand the scripts.
PLEASE release it as a base workable Version and THEN start adding neat things.

As for hosting, thinking about getting a domain to go with it?
dommies.com
dominionist
dominionism
dominions2.net
dom2games.net
domgames.net
dom2taw.net
d2games.net

We can always tag it off of dom2minions.com but thats such a long name.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 27th, 2004, 07:06 PM

Major

deccan is on a distinguished road

Way to go, that was fast work!
Old October 27th, 2004, 07:16 PM

Private

Good to hear that you seem to like it - it's still a way to go, when it comes to automatic hosting, though: The fact that there's no standalone server, and you have to more or less start the complete 'Dominions II'-application to do a simple host run, is a big problem.
So far, I haven't been able to do so from a php-script, but I am working on it (^_^)

Once this works (and I'm still confident), we can think about where to put it. And I will then immediately release it for everybody to play around with. Promise!
Old October 27th, 2004, 10:32 PM

General

PashaDawg is on a distinguished road

Sounds cool. Dragonfire and I have 2 MP PBEM games going on. Maybe we can try to transfer them to your system to act as your guinea pigs.
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Private

Saeter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Rowlff said:
The fact that there's no standalone server, and you have to more or less start the complete 'Dominions II'-application to do a simple host run, is a big problem.
So far, I haven't been able to do so from a php-script, but I am working on it (^_^)
What about using a regular shell script to do the actual execution of the application? Have a php script do the command syntax of turns ready to run, and save those in a file, but do the actual execution from a shell script. It would only have to look in the php-prepared command file and run them. Just a thought, I'm not into the details of either php5 or Dom2 capabilities.
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:58 PM

Private

I've tried this (and several other approaches) already! The problem remains that whatever way I try to open 'Dominions II', as soon as the original call is coming from PHP, 'Dominions II' can't start, because it can't connect to the Window Server (Error: "INIT_Processeses(), could not establish the default connection to the WindowServer."). Even using 'su' to pretend a normal user didn't help here...

Maybe it's due to me trying it on OS X. If somebody would like to give it a shot on Linux, I'll happily send him the appropriate scripts.

And does Illwinter read these threads? They should know a little something, too (^_^)
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Are you using text-only mode? Thats the only way I could get them to work. Are you looking for the start-game script or the process-turn script?