.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 15th, 2006, 11:06 AM

Major General

DrPraetorious is on a distinguished road
Default Easiest linux distro for a dom3 server?

I've been hosting my dom3 games on my windows box, which works okay except that windows keeps eating my hard drives. In the shortrun I'm going to move all the games over to my laptop (which i'm using now) which is fairly state of the art, but longer term I want to move them over to my linux machine - which is currently in need of a new power supply and I'm going to reinstall anyway. I was never able to get dom2 running on my old suse install.

Does it run under newer versions of Suse? If no one knows that for sure, has anyone had any luck running it on any distro, straight ouf the box? I work with computers for a living and no longer derive any joy whatsoever from fiddling with them in my spare time, I just want the damn thing to work.
If you read his speech at Rice, all his arguments for going to the moon work equally well as arguments for blowing up the moon, sending cloned dinosaurs into space, or constructing a towering *****-shaped obelisk on Mars. --Randall Munroe
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

Esben Mose Hansen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Easiest linux distro for a dom3 server?

It works with Ubuntu and Debian, and I'd be surprised if it didn't basically just work with any distribution out there.

As for the easiest, I'd go with whatever you know, or Ubuntu if you don't know any.
Old December 15th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Private

NickW is on a distinguished road

I decided to switch my Fedora Core 3 server, which I'd long used for Dom2 hosting, over to ubuntu for Dom3.

Talk about silly easy.

Basically threw the install CD in and clicked yes or next a bunch of times and next thing I know I had a nice functional linux system ready for a Dom3 install.
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:37 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

They are all great. Personally, Ive used most of them. At the moment Im using Debian on both of my servers. I like that its non-commercial, it supports the GNU projects so I go ahead and buy my install discs from them, and it maintains itself really easily. I also love the "catalog" program. If I decide I want to mess with irc, or a webforum, or wiki, blog, whatever.. then I can open the catalog and find one. Clicking it installs it and any other programs it needs to have in place. Its also easy to uninstall things. Not searching the net for installs that come from unkown sources has saved me alot of headaches.

Oh yeah, I think that Johan (the linux programmer) uses Debian also so that might also fit into "easiest linux for a dom3 server"
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 16th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Brigadier General

Johan K is on a distinguished road

I use Ubuntu actually. But most distros should work fine, Dominions doesn't use anything Ubuntu specific.
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:52 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Yeah but sometimes the answers are easier to get if the OS matches the devs. That is, as long as all other factors are equal.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)