.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > SprueGames > Salvo!

Old May 19th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Private

Muzein is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions

Well, I've been playing the demo a bit, and though I realize it's quite late in the development cycle, thought I'd just toss around my 2¢.

First off, let me just say that I really enjoy the game. The gameplay is very fun, but doesn't feel dumbed down. Good job, this is defnitely a game I will be playing a lot.

Now for my couple suggestions...

For one, I think it'd be *really* nice to be able to select a ship without your view jumping to it. Perhaps make a toggle in the options?
I just find that very annoying personally, having a nice view of my ships, then wanting to quickly check out that enemy on the horizon and losing my place.

Also, when you have a ship selected, you can't pan forward or backward. This too me is also an annoyance.

Finnaly, to finish with camera issues, how about a left/right pan option? As it stands now, if I want to nudge my view to the right, I have to rotate the camera a couple times, go forward a couple times, then rotate back a couple times. This could all be done much easier with Pan Left/Pan right keys.

I realize not everyone will have my same opinion of the camera controls, but I thought I'd bring them up as something to consider, as I don't imagine it'd be *too* tough to make those sorts of adjustments.

Now my last quibble is something more on my part than yours.
The game runs quite poorly on my machine, pausing every few seconds (ambient sound even cuts out briefly) UI clicks tend to be unresponsive, etc.
Now, I meet the Mac minimum requirements, so I was hoping for a bit better, but I don't expect game devs to bend over backwards for old machines. Also might not be much you can do in the way of performance, or at least not easily.

Listed requirements are -
* Mac OS X 10.1.5 or Higher
* 1 GB G4 (1000 MHz Optimal)
* 256 MB RAM (515 MB optimal)
* 2 Button Mouse Recommended
* CD ROM
* 500+ MB Hard Drive Space
* 16 Bit Sound Card Optional
* SVGA Video Card (800 x 600 with 16 bit color or better)

Mine are-

Dual CPU 867Mhz G4s
1.5GB RAM
Many many many GB free space ( )
Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB

Well, that's it for now. Please take note I'm really not trying to be whiny! hehe. This is hopefully constructive criticism.
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Corporal

Lord Hammer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions

I agree completely, the camera movement is horrible. There has to be a better way to scroll the map and/or view ships, it is so unintuitive it makes playing a chore. The camera/scroll movement is very jumpy and i'm playing on an Alienware game rig .
If the demo is a clue then there is much work to be done before release to clean it up and make it playable. Other than that the premise/design is very well done. I could not/would not play this game with anything more than a 1vs.1 battle if i had to use the present "camera system" to scroll thru ships.
I might add that the Ui was unresponsive for me too, sometimes i would have to click 2 or 3 times to bring up a menu only to repeat to exit it.
Alienware P4 2.8ghz
GeForce FX5700 Ultra 128mg w/latest drivers
1024 DDR Ram
Audigy 2 ZS platinum pro soundcard...
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Muzein said:
Listed requirements are -
* Mac OS X 10.1.5 or Higher
* 1 GB G4 (1000 MHz Optimal)
* 256 MB RAM (515 MB optimal)
* 2 Button Mouse Recommended
* CD ROM
* 500+ MB Hard Drive Space
* 16 Bit Sound Card Optional
* SVGA Video Card (800 x 600 with 16 bit color or better)

Mine are-

Dual CPU 867Mhz G4s
1.5GB RAM
Many many many GB free space ( )
Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB

Well it may not run right because the game isn't multi threaded so is only uses one of your CPUs. Please note that most of games retail or otherwise aren't multi threaded. It alot of extra work to do for such a minority of people that use multiple processors.

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old May 19th, 2005, 06:02 PM

Private

Muzein is on a distinguished road

I know that, but 867 to 1000 is not much, and the second CPU should easily make up for the difference in the fact that it is carrying all the backround tasks like the OS.
Old May 20th, 2005, 02:46 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

I have been playing the demo but I also to seem to be experiencing some low frame rates. Also the camara controls are clunky but besides that alot of fun so far.

1.2 Ghz Pentium M
Intergrated Intel Extreme 2 Video
384MB of Ram
Intergrated SigmaTel Audio
Windows XP Home SP2

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old May 20th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Agreed on cam control, there're definitely bad. Maybe just making the "jumps" shorter would help.

I'm on Windows and can't get anything else than a windowed 800*600 mode - if I extend to full screen there's some "ocean" with weird graphics to the side but the game remains in the same window area... Is that a feature ?
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road

Muzien:

“quite late in the development cycle” << I have been thinking of funny (and not so funny) remarks to make about that statement. (Maybe even going as far as to copy boastful quotes from my own previous posts.)

The response to your observations about the Selection and view (Camera?) handling has been clear indication that you are right on target, and that something should be done. I think the Beta group and myself included have gotten used to display system – so your fresh contact has seen things clearer.

Regarding the speed, - I would be interested in knowing if you have upgraded to Tiger. One of my testers upgraded during the testing, and he reported a dramatic speed increase.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old May 20th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

Lord Hammer:

Hummm, Salvo should be quite peppy on your system, and I’m not sure what to say. See if the Turbo mode (press PageUp one time, many times, or select Turbo Mode from the options screen) helps any. Then turn off the sound, and finally, try running Salvo in the Windowed mode.

I’m not saying you have to play the game like that – just do a few experiments and pleae report your results to me when you get a chance.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

Default Selection / Display / Camera Controls

Selection / Display / Camera Controls

OK – The response is decisive – no need for a pole. I’ll be updating the Selection and Display Controls before the Gold version is out. I don’t know if I will have a chance to update the Demo till after that – but I may ask a few of you to preview the updates – so I get them right. Here is what I propose to add:

A) Return View This will allow you to return to a previous view after you jump to a ship. It will probably be a key that backs up the view to the last location or last jump…. Humm R seems to be free..

B) Zoom In / Out on currently selected ship. How about the Up and Down Arrow keys move you closer and farther from the ship.

C) Left / Right Movement. Check. Im thinking about using the ‘<’ and ‘>’ keys for this.

Believe it or not, A and B were each implemented at one point or another, so they should be easy, and C should be a no-brainer. (Which is lucky for me, if you know what I mean.)

More soon!

Oh yea – THANKS for trying the Demo and letting me know what needs work. I wish I could fix everything, but I will do what I can.

Old May 20th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Corporal

Lord Hammer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Selection / Display / Camera Controls

Excellent, all three would absolutely make the camera issue perfect IMHO. Actually you should be relieved to know that Salvo's biggest problem is the camera ui, and aside from that the game seems like it will be a blast to play from a "fun" and "historical" viewpoint.
The jerky ui response might need some tweaking, on both our parts, so i'll post when i have time to work it over with my Uber-Rig . Now other than the camera/ui issue my only wish is that you could give the game a "high-end" graphics option: 1024x768 very high detail, animations, water etc...requiring a minimum 128 meg video card ...but then i would have nothing left to wish for.
P.S. i know many of us are impatient but take your time and do it right, a game like this really needs an easier operating camera ui to appreciate the era of wooden ships combat