.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old September 5th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Sergeant

Kojusoki is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mistletoe - an LA game for busy people (registering with LlamaServer)

Thank you - pretender has been sent.
When we start?
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:26 PM

First Lieutenant

Bananadine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mistletoe - an LA game for busy people (registering with LlamaServer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDC View Post
Province 38 is impossible to reach. If someone gets spawned there, like Ermorian cultists through an event, or worse a starting position, they will be impossible to reach until teleportation spells and such kick in.
Is it possible to change the map file so 38 gets connected to something?
Ahh what a strange thing. I assumed this was some little mistake I'd made in my manual fiddling with the map, but no, the game actually appears to have randomly generated Tibet or something. Yes, I can easily make that change in my copy of the map, but not in LlamaServer's copy... there doesn't appear to be a way to do that other than asking Llamabeast to intervene. It would probably be an easy change for him to make, but he is a busy guy. I could also change the map, delete the whole game, upload the changed map, and start a new game (a hassle for almost all of us, especially me).

It looks like this is not a big problem, unless, as you suggest, somebody's capital ends up there, in which case I would want to restart... unless it was Caelum I guess.

It seems like it wouldn't be too bad to start right next to that province--you'd maybe miss out on a high-population income source (until you could get in there magically etc.), but, well, too bad. A person with that problem might still be better off than somebody who started next to R'lyeh! Dominions is not entirely fair.

Does anybody see any other crippling problem that could stem from this? I don't. You wouldn't own the province unless you actually started there, which is pretty unlikely, so I guess a lot of the random events that could put units there just wouldn't happen, in the early game at least. It seems most likely that if we play with this map, the province will spend a year or three under Independent rule, which is fine, until somebody decides to invest the resources in using it as an interesting, unusual military base. Again, Caelum is a new player, so maybe we need not be too afraid of raptors infesting the plateau.

Of course I will look out for this strange occurrence in the future, regardless....
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:45 PM

Sergeant

Kojusoki is on a distinguished road

I fully agree, maybe except that you dont like Rlyeh
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:57 PM

First Lieutenant

Okay here is a permanent copy of the map file for the forums! Although who knows whether future game makers will actually want to use it, given its strange properties. (If you are a future game maker, see my previous post for information about said strangeness.)

Kojusoki, we'll start when everybody's got their pretenders in... unless somebody convinces me to change the map first, in which case we'll all have to resend our pretenders.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mistletoe.zip (3.77 MB, 227 views)
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM

First Lieutenant

The hosting interval has been changed to 144 hours.
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM

First Lieutenant

Default Re: Mistletoe - an LA game for busy people (in progress)

Agh, this map appears to have victory point provinces! I see about five of them. How did that happen? Well I guess they won't affect anything, except maybe by spreading dominion a bit... so if you want a cheap, mediocre temple, then I guess you should capture a victory point.

Or maybe they don't even do anything when the standard victory conditions are in force. Does anybody know more about this? It seems like, again, it's something to avoid in the future, but not too big a deal right now....

I'm learning a lot by doing this.
Old September 6th, 2008, 11:03 AM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

I think the VP things are a bug. Come to think of it I should probably report. I haven't really looked into what causes it, but the number of VPs is definitely set to zero, so it seems like a bug.

Like you say though, they don't really matter. They are just weak sources of dominion (equivalent to a Dom-5 temple).
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

djo is on a distinguished road

I recently sent private messages via this forum to two players in this game, one in reply to a PM, one in reply to an in-game message. However, neither one appears in my "sent" private message folder. I am wondering whether they were sent or not. If either of those players have not heard from me, send me another PM with your email address, and I'll get back to you. I have definitely received PMs, I'm just not sure I'm sending them.

Thanks!
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:13 AM

Second Lieutenant

Digress is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djo View Post
I recently sent private messages via this forum to two players in this game, one in reply to a PM, one in reply to an in-game message. However, neither one appears in my "sent" private message folder. I am wondering whether they were sent or not. If either of those players have not heard from me, send me another PM with your email address, and I'll get back to you. I have definitely received PMs, I'm just not sure I'm sending them.

Thanks!
You have to tick a little box at the bottom (amongst the "additional options)" after you write the message but before you send it to have it saved to your sent items box - which is a bit silly. There may be a better way to do it - but I haven't had the time to find it yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Digress For This Useful Post:
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:08 AM

Second Lieutenant

djo is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I never noticed that.

Last edited by djo; September 9th, 2008 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: removed stupidity, added substance