.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 29th, 2008, 05:49 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

GrudgeBringer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newish Questions 6/29/08

If I am using a Monster Pretender (like Gorgan) can/should I use any armour or Weapons on it.

I have always wondered if it would be detrimental to do that,

Also I read somewhere where if you used 'Black' Armour on (Marverni) Druids and a few other things you could teleport them somewhere and really tear some things up.

That sounds good but in every game I have ever played with Magic users (not that many I may add) Armour will negate spells thay can cast or not let them cast spells at all.

Is that the case here?

Thanks!!
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Second Lieutenant

sector24 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newish Questions 6/29/08

Never be afraid to fill all of an important unit's slots. However, most armor increases encumberance, which increases fatigue. So if your gorgon flies in there and everyone gets petrified attacking her, you definitely want a shield, armor, etc.

For a spellcaster, you want to mind your encumberance because it adds fatigue to every spell cast. So in heavy armor you essentially knock yourself unconscious. However, there are plenty of items designed for mages to wear that offer protection with little or no encumberance penalty. Some items even grant reinvigoration, which removes fatigue every turn. Basically the opposite of encumberance.
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Corporal

secretperson is on a distinguished road

There is no chance for arcane spell failure unlike D&D type games but, as sector24 said, encumbrance plays a big role. Fatigue will make you easier to hit and make critical hits possible and if it gets high enough will knock you unconscious and possibly kill you if it keeps piling up.

I haven't played Maverni at all to know what you are talking about with the druids, but some commanders when given certain items can become quite nasty as they can cast buff spells then go into the fray.

Again, like sector24 mentioned, there are various types of items and armor with no encumbrance- for example; the robe of invulnerability or lightweight scale mail.
Old June 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Major

Wrana is on a distinguished road

1. Yes and yes. Though Gorgon is technically Titan. Pure Monsters (such as Wyrm or Manticore) simply have no body slots for armor or hands slots for weapons. However, you can still make for them miscellaneous items. These include both armors (Bracers of Defense, Amulet of Luck) and weapons (Dancing Trident, Stone Bird). And while some Pretenders can function well enough without such, later in the game it will become necessary. Especially if they don't have natural regeneration!
2. Armor for magicians is more complicated. It provides protection, but also makes them fatigue faster. And unconscious magician isn't something you want! Furthermore, fatigued units tend to suffer critical hits more often - and this cripples them even if they survive. On the other hand, a magician killed by a stray arrow isn't something you want either. So it's better to look up for armors with lower encumbrance for you magicians - such as, i.e. Lightweight/Weightless Scale Mail, Shroud of the Battle Saint, Weightless Tower/Kite Shield, Talisman of Missile Protection. One of the best armors for magician from my point of view is Rainbow Armor - not only it light and gives protection, it also actually cures your fatigue and provides a Magic Resistance bonus on top of that!
If you want somebody who can "really tear things up", however, you should think about whole pack of items and here you can include more heavy armor or one with additional effects, such as Rime Hauberk/Bone Armor, Charcoal Shield/Vine Shield, etc.
And forget about D&D - there are many better games!
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:35 AM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Rainbow Armor = <3

Bear in mind, turning a caster into a thug (guy who tears things up ) is in actuality turning him into something that is not, by definition, a caster anymore. Basically, he will only cast 2-3 spells, the buff spells that he has immediate access to that make him so dangerous, and then it's "Attack Closest" (or rear, or.....) time.

I actually just loaded up Marverni, and I don't see any casters I could consider as really being exceptionally thuggable. The primary difference between a thug and an SC (Super Combatant) is that a thug operates with somewhat minimalist gear - you only invest enough in them to make them "pretty effective". Generally, you can't afford the gems to fill every slot on thugs, whereas your SCs are so valuable, you design a full gearset to make them utterly fearsome, and as survivable as possible. As far as Marverni, all of their mages are pretty flimsy, and while they have decent magic paths for thug self-buffing, they are so weak physically that they would need a lot of gear to be very effective. The best choice overall I would say is the Stargazer, as that 1 Astral gets him Body Ethereal and Personal Luck..... Unfortunately, he needs armor, a good weapon, probably a shield..... From there, you start thinking maybe you want a helmet or a misc item to round him out, now you may as well fill all his slots to protect your investment..... Next thing you know, you have fully geared a 9hp mage, just because he can self buff. That's when you start to wonder if maybe just about any summoned commander (as opposed to soldier, that you can't equip) might be able to provide similar performance with less gem investment.

Oh and the Gorgon is A-MA-ZING! Get her geared out as soon as you can, you don't want her to die, she is a powerful powerful tool for your nation.