.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 24th, 2008, 03:40 AM

Major

Tuidjy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Current other active game software

I found out about Mount and Blade two months ago. I have hardly played anything
else since... but once I'm out of it, I will probably go to my old favorites: the
original X-Com, Angband or ADOM, Age of Wonders (how can anyone like 2 better?)
Kohan: Arihman's Gift, and of course, at some point, I will have a Dominions
relapse. And Ceasar III. I can't explain it, but I keep playing that game,
although I have yet to find anyone else who enjoys it.
Old June 24th, 2008, 04:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

cupido2 is on a distinguished road

Currently it's (theoretically) GTA IV, but after a few hours I put it aside for dwarf fortress, more dwarf fortress, battleground europe (wwiionline) and even more dwarf fortress. I hate you, dwarf fortress.

.'.`.,'',".
.'`,"g".c,.
''".,".".,,
Run kitten! Run for your life!
Old June 24th, 2008, 05:13 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

What's so fun about Dwarf Fortress? I have played it, made forts, failed to make waterfalls, etc etc. Surviving in the early game is usually either easy or almost impossible. Even in the 2d version, I didn't have any real problems feeding my dwarves, but I usually got bored with it before I got to see any big battles. I find that I have very little to try and achieve in-game and in-the-dwarves'-perspective. They're happy with no bedrooms and a huge dining room with lots of stuff, and they can't appreciate projects that look good to the player. Managing huge construction projects is a challenge, but it's too micromanagement-based for me to enjoy them.

I expect it will become something I could spend lots of time with, but it isn't there yet. As an example, I'd like to see the dwarves do more stuff for themselves. For example, I don't want to have to mine and set furniture for a dozen bedrooms. Mining the main tunnels and setting the area as free personal room space (max room size 4, max of 1 room/dwarf) should be enough. Dwarves would only work on their personal projects if there are no commynity projects to manage.
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Agrajag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
cupido2 said:
.'.`.,'',".
.'`,"g".c,.
''".,".".,,
Run kitten! Run for your life!
Why is it running away from a goat?
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

cupido2 is on a distinguished road

I loved Lego and Playmobile when I was a child and DF feels a bit like playing Lego or Playmobil with dwarfs living in my constructions.
Another reason is, that I am rather new to it (february I think) and haven't seen it all yet. I haven't built on an aquifer, in a desert, at an oceanshore, haven't tried out water- or magmapumps, got the first time slaughtered by hitting "hidden fun stuff". And I'd like to try out a megaproject or two (there's a 3dwarf program to visualize your fortress in 3d).

I have fun to make everybody, including the nobles, ecstatic and build fancy appartments for them, and try to manufacture good stuff for a character in adventure mode.
For me, part of the fun is the graphics. With the ASCII I can imagine the stuff that happens and the stuff I build the way I like them. But I think, when I've done all the things that I myself wanted to do, I might lose interest, because the game itself delivers no real aim (yet).

Btw: Goats are killers. Ask my hunter.
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:37 PM

General

HoneyBadger is on a distinguished road

I think you have to be part dwarf to appreciate Dwarf Fortress-you must, no other race could enjoy eating rocks and being miserable so much. Playing Dwarf Fortress is like saying "hey let's go live in the Congo for a couple of weeks, without any bug spray, that'll be awesome!" and then convincing 6 of your friends to go with you, and ending up having a great time.

It's like the Apocalypse Now Amusement Park. It's SimJonestown. I can't explain the appeal, other than that it's in the effort to survive and prosper in a hostile world-one that you're actually grateful is virtual, but that feels very real.
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:15 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

sim-jonestown...

i can picture a flash game with this title on Kongregate now.

you have to build a little village while keeping your sims deluded until you can get them all to commit suicide.

well now that I think about it, sounds like america on a smaller scale.

I think song says it well:
http://www.last.fm/music/Angelspit/_/100%25
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM

Private

baruk is on a distinguished road

At the moment I'm playing UT 2003, Railroad tycoon 3, Stars!, MOO3 and chess (on gameknot and FICS, handle: tonylemesmer).

Its good to see a lot of appreciation for DF, Wesnoth and KoDP. Games I happen to be taking a break from, but will probably go back to in the future.
Poxnora is surprisingly good also, but not a game I'm planning to spend money on, I've been down the CCG/MMO route before.
Quote:
Slay, by Sean O'Connor.
This is great, isn't it? Very simple and satisying turn-based strategy.

Quote:
And Ceasar III. I can't explain it, but I keep playing that game, although I have yet to find anyone else who enjoys it.
I just reinstalled this, haven't played it in a few years. Never quite got around to finishing that last map.. (have a lot of games in this state)

Mount and Blade is a great concept - first person hack and slash 'em up rpg.

I recommend Monster's Den on the kongregate site. A rather good turn-based tactical rpg, though I would suggest playing on one of the harder difficulty levels, as I found on the easy level I would get swamped with loot, and spend most of my time sorting through it.

Does anyone else play Pax Galactica? Imagine Stars! or MOO but pared-down to the bare bones and tick-based rather than turn based - you just move the ships, ship production happens automatically, and there is no research. Surprisingly enjoyable.
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:43 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Anyone here ever played, or even heard of a game called 'PSI 5 Trading Company' on the CBM 64?

I played little else in the late 80's. I still play it often now after finding it on an abandonware site. It's a very simply space combat/management game in which your only control is in giving your crew orders, and hoping they'll decide to listen to you.

Maybe it's the James T. Kirk wannabe in me, but there's something immensely addictive about shouting "shoot him down for f%$£ sake" at your gunner, and watching a square block image explode on the screen.

Vintage gaming years :-)
Old June 26th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Private

ArkkiMeisseli is on a distinguished road

Armageddon Empires, Oblivion, Baldur's Gate II and... World of Warcraft. Occasionally a UT2004 mod called Killing Floor.

Mostly just WoW, though. It is a horrible disease.

Quote:
HoneyBadger said:
...one of the disks went missing, and I haven't found a replacement for it...
You can have mine.