This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV

Old November 17th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Private

Kammak is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Weapon Issue

I'm in a fresh game with my little custom mod, and have made no changes to the files since starting.

I previously added several weapons to the components.txt file, one set of which seems to be a bit screwy:

The item has "Vehicle Type := Fighter", "Restrictions := One Per Vehicle", and works fine for me. I am now coming across AI *satellites* that are equipped with this weapon - which was supposed to be for fighters only.

Assuming no spelling/typo errors, why is the "Vehicle Type" restriction not holding for AI designs? I have double checked and I cannot add these weapons to my satellites, or any vehicle type, except fighters as intended.

The AI also seems to be violating the "One Per Vehicle" restriction too - I've seen some with over 12 on one satellite. Unexpected, to be sure.

Is this a game issue or some screwup on my end?

Regards,

Kammak

Note that I have NOT modified any AI files myself, to use or not use these new weapons which I added.
Old November 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Private

Default Re: Custom Weapon Issue

On looking through the Enemy Unit Designs, I find that the AI is using this weapon on both satellites and weapon platforms. Yet even within the game UI, it says "Vehicle Types Fighter".

Was I silly to assume "Fighter" meant only fighters? Does it actually mean Ftr\Sat\WP?

Kammak
Old November 17th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Major

douglas is on a distinguished road

This is a known bug. The AI completely ignores restrictions on component use. It can't go over the tonnage limit, it might not be able to go over the engines limit, and I'm not sure about life support/crew quarters requirements, but pretty much everything else is ignored when the AI makes its designs. I remember some discussion a while back about designing a Cheater AI race, and one of the things this AI would do is build ships and bases with two space yards, getting double normal build speed.
Old November 17th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Private

Well that's no good.

I take it SE4 is no longer getting updated, correct?

No biggie, but a rather annoying issue.

Thanks,

Kammak
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Private

Does the AI also get to ignore the "Vehicle Size Maximum" constraint for Mounts?
Old November 17th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

The AI doesn't completely ignore restrictions.. It won't add components that are restricted from the current vehicle type to a design. However, components within the same family can be upgraded, ignoring vehicle restrictions. This happens for human designs as well as the AI. Make sure your fighter weapon has a unique Family value and a unique Weapon Family value.

Really, the only restriction ignored by the AI is X Per Vehicle.

There are no mount settings ignored by the AI.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:28 PM

Private

Fyron -

I think your statement is incorrect in that the AI is definitely ignoring the "Vehicle Type" restriction for these weapons.

These custom weapons *are* using a Weapon Family number that is used by other weapons, but they have a different Family number. (There is no text on what Weapon Family number does in the Components.txt file - how does it work?)

Its easy enough for me to change the Weapon Family number for them, but the AI is definitely ignoring the restrictions in a way no human could. (You can't upgrade to a weapon that you can't design a ship to use in the first place, yet the AI can, it seems.)

I will check out the new Weapon Family number on the next game. Thanks!

Kammak
Old November 18th, 2007, 02:40 PM

Private

Is there a document that I should have read covering issues like this one (unique Weapon Family values)?

I don't mean to be bugging folks with beginner questions - I've read through the Dubious Guide, the Strategy Guides, a couple of Modding FAQs, but didn't come across any specific stuff that documented the common "gotchas" in modding SEIV.

If I have overlooked a good resource, please point me to it. I realize this is an old game with a high user knowledge base, and newbie questions can get quite tiresome.

But many thanks for the quick and accurate responses I've received in the past week or two. I'm quite enjoying SE4 - spending half my time tinkering with files and half actually playing.

Regards,

Kammak
Old November 20th, 2007, 10:22 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Kammak, I'd just post to the forum. This question in particular is closer to cutting-edge than newbie, and rarely do people here get annoyed by questions.

I think you're on to the answer to the restrictions. The AI designs and upgrades can ignore some restrictions that apply to humans, but they are also limited in their own ways - for example, as you see, they only design according to the AI design files, so if you do what you already thought of - change the unwanted weapon family to a different number, then they won't use it. That kind of approach (telling the AI specifically what to do) tends to get around such AI issues, and can sometimes be taken advantage of in good/interesting ways.

PvK
Old November 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM

Major

Urendi Maleldil is on a distinguished road

The AI can do all sorts of crazy things. I created a race called the Cheaters a while back that uses AI tricks to do things like add 10 engines to a design, multiple space yard components, mine warheads on ships.

Here's the link if you want to take a look at it: The Cheaters AI

It has a few resource management issues, but it's fun to play against a computer opponent who doesn't follow the standard rules.

-Km :�