.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 10th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Private

Prince is on a distinguished road
Default A Bit Lost

My brother moved out of my families house a week back and upon taking a look through some of the stuff he left behind (he said I could) I found this game. Now I am normaly a big fan of strategy games and can pick them up fairly quickly but this just seems to be way over my head. I can't find a manual or a help function within the game and I was wondering if there was any recources you guys could provide me with.

Thanks.
Old February 10th, 2007, 12:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Bit Lost

This basically was the resource for Dom2. These forums.

There are still people around who can help you with specific questions. There is a tutorial around here someplace (done by a player) and various documentation files (also done by players). The players were drafted to do an in-game tutorial and a 300-page manual for Dom3.

You might start with Ermor (which creates its own aries automatically) or Ulm (basically heavy armored men with little magic). Those are the easiest to start learning with.

And if the AI is too rough on you then start your games with independents set to 5 or higher. That will slow down the AI alot.

Gandalf Parker
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

Hugh Manatee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Bit Lost

Howdy, I'm a newb of sorts too, used to games like MoO or Space Empires, this game was also a bit intimidating at first too. The hardest parts for me were figring out how to outmaneuver an enemy on the main map, and how to get my troops to actually fight in battle the way I wanted. Just remember when you form up an army to set their positions on the battle field(click the square to the right of the group). Also It seems to me(at least from a beginners standpoint) when setting up, don't worry to much about the magics your pretender has, focus on the domminion tab and the scales, with those you can get lots of cash and have good stuff happen. Seems like as long as you give him something to fight with, (I think your pretenders magic affects blessed troops or something, I'm gonna have to re-read that chart in the manual...) it'll be fine. You can check the magic schools in the lab screen and while setting up your guy.

Also I kinda like the Ryleth to start with, it's the first nation I really "got". They are aquatic, but almost all amphibious, they have spell casting regular troops, a good "trampling" unit, strong magic lines, and their priests can use this void gate thing, gives you free units at the risk of killing the priest(but the units you get are pretty badass). Also being aquatic they live in the water, other nations can't easily attack you unless THEY are aquatic(or have potent magics which I haven't seen the AI try and use), so set the game up where you're the only aquatic nation, expand under water(you'll be fighting tritons, and icthyds, some shamblers, pushovers really) and you don't have to worry much about the ai trying to push into your territory. When you finally do decide to press onto the land you can go in with a large force of experienced commanders leading troops that can fry enemy units in 1 hitwith 100% acuracy from across the field, plus void monsters and practice maneuvering and flanking your enemy knowing you can always get more from the sea.

Edit: oh yeah, when you get on the land, make a fortress on the coast, and make sure that territory can produce good units like longbowmen or mounted riders, bases on the coasts make freebie half breed troops and you can produce the missile troops your nation normally lacks.