.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:34 PM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Russian Designers ? ?

I used to be a hard core SPWaWH2H player. Something about that version just clicked with me. Its the only SPWAW version I played for many, many years. I think the last time played any SPWaW was about 4-5 years ago if not longer. From what I understand very few play the vanilla SPWaW. They are playing one of many modified versions so that may give the appearance of a larger player base when you combine SPWaW, SPWaWH2H, SPWaW Enhanced. I don't even really know who plays what version of that game anymore other than a few regulars.

Another thing with SPWaW players is that most of them have played the game since it first came out and are real life friends and not just contacts on on the web. Maybe since Matrix had the 1st dedicated SP forums (that were not on Yahoo) it allowed them to pull the majority of SP players to their flag. For me, I regularly visit the SPWaW Depot forums even though I never play SPWaW because many of them are more what I would call friends rather than fellow SP players.

It having been so long since I played SPWaW, I hardly remember most of the differences but there are a couple things about SPWaW I do like better. One of those is abundance of extra building graphics (even though they are only just eyecandy) and the 2nd is the inclusion of the special type victory hexes. Just like TCP/IP capability might be "the thing" for some, the above 2 features are "my thing" especially since I prefer to concentrate on designing and not necessarily playing.
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
However. If anyone can present us with evidence that the national naming issue is what's keeping players away from the game we certainly will consider change. ( I know Andy would be happy......
Don
If you're a "scenario" player and interested in the so called "minor" allies and less "commercial" () battles/opposing forces yes you have a major problem with the language/abbreviation issue. Maybe one (secondary) reason I play MBT regularly and WW2 not so often. No ... don't change anything now. It probably was a "wrong" decision but it was taken anyway. Eventually when my WW2 interest resurfaces I'll probably "dig" in the game (as always - damn addiction!!). The "hard core" players may enjoy it, the "dedicated" players may rant a bit (or not)and play the game but for the new,younger or more casual players it maybe a problem.
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

RE natioanal naming

I think most people have got used to the likes of Germans as play regular but because you tend to use the minor powers less my view is as follows.
For taking a side out for an occasional jaunt it does not add atmosphere its frustrating as you have to click on the formation to see what it is. Hence buying takes a long time often just going with what you have found.
In MBT despite the far larger number of nations you can take anyone out for a run with no hassle because the structure is consistent & clear if English is your main language.
Perhaps a poll on peoples views might be worth setting up, change all to English or change Minor Powers or leave as is.
Certainly from a money point of view I think an all English setting will make the game much more accesable to new players.
My first time if I remember spent ages looking at German & its not a hard one but of course your not sure so waste a good deal of time checking to start with. Many people esp if coming from SPWAW might think cant be bothered.
Of course if change to English leaving the likes of Germany as is will look odd & from a new players perspective its the one they will probably try first so will not improve accesability problem for them
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
RE natioanal naming
I quite like the national naming of OOBs, although I understand if people might think it's a bit annoying at first.
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:18 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I'm 50/50 on National Naming.

I like the "flavor" it gives scenarios and the fact it make it less easy to identify opposition units.

I find it very annoying when I'm trying to play a nation and can't figure out what the heck MY units are.

One of those "damned if ya do, damned if ya don't" things I guess.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:43 PM

Sergeant

EJ is on a distinguished road
Laugh Re: Russian Designers ? ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post
Don,
The only thing missing from Winspmbt and spww2 is being able to play it live over tcp\ip. Any chance of this happening in the future someday? All other things aside I like this game a lot and look forward to each and every patch. I own both cds and would buy them again....
Would you actually finnish a game then?
Imp,
NO NEED FOR YOU TO COME TO THE AND FORUM ANTAGONIZING ME. I have had someone quit a game on me and never had a problem with it. Me and this individual have played many games. Since you wanna call me out I challenge YOU to a game of mbt. Go to the looking for pbem opponents section. I'll post the details there....DON'T PUNK OUT!
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Captain

Skirmisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

Most players of these games live in different time zones. Even in the same time zone, some may work shifts etc.

So as well as getting someone to commit to probably a 4 or more hours solid chunk of time to play an involved game - you need to be on the same clock cycle. Or someone in say Finland has to play in his wee hours of the morning with his eyelids propped up by matchsticks against someone wide awake and fresh on the other side of the world.

Andy
Back in 1999 we all used to go the a Steel Panthers 3 chat room on MPlayer.com

There you would work out the details. Surprizingly most of the games played where multinational in nature. It would be like US vs GB usually, but you could purchase from any army.

I played three online games back to back in one night once.(8 hr's) My dreams were filled with troops moving around on a hex grid that night.

But there were bugs. Airmoblie was illegal because anti air units didn't fire at the helicopters. Sometimes a unit would die,but still be left on the map. It would show (0) men,but still could move. And it couldn't be killed.
Old May 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM

Corporal

Akmatov is on a distinguished road

Anyone have a list of where Russian SP:MBT scenarios might be stashed?