.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old June 19th, 2013, 12:21 PM

Private

SplendidTuesday is on a distinguished road
Default My CD key isn't working

So I recently bought Dominions 3 off of GamersGate after not being able to play it for a year (long story short, I had had to reboot my computer and a short time before that I had lost the manual with the CD key), and I've figured out how to bypass the bug where the game refuses to load and says "config file not found" or something like that.

Now my problem is that the GamersGate CD key (they call it an activation code, if that means anything) provided does not work. How can I fix this? I noticed that the first string of numbers in the CD key is one number longer than the sample CD key. I'd like help in figuring this out.
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:44 PM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My CD key isn't working

Run the game as admin the first time, then enter the key. The key you got is correct, Dominions 3 cd keys are not uniform (i.e. some of them have xxxx-123-abcde-1234 and others may start off with 3 digits and then have the rest of the groupings randomly). So pay no attention to the sample cd key.
Old June 19th, 2013, 12:45 PM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Run the game as admin the first time, then enter the key. The key you got is correct, Dominions 3 cd keys are not uniform (i.e. some of them have xxxx-123-abcde-1234 and others may start off with 3 digits and then have the rest of the groupings randomly). So pay no attention to the sample cd key.
I have tried the CD Key (I checked to make sure I'm putting the numbers in right), and I've run as administrator. Still doesn't work.
Old June 20th, 2013, 07:31 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidTuesday View Post
Quote:
I have tried the CD Key (I checked to make sure I'm putting the numbers in right), and I've run as administrator. Still doesn't work.
Okay, then go into the Dominions 3 directory and the delete the file called key. Then restart the game as admin and see what it does.

For future reference, this place is no longer the official forum for Dominions 3, the official forum is at Desura. It is the better place to ask for help, since there are more people over there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old June 20th, 2013, 02:05 PM

Private

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplendidTuesday View Post
Quote:
Okay, then go into the Dominions 3 directory and the delete the file called key. Then restart the game as admin and see what it does.

For future reference, this place is no longer the official forum for Dominions 3, the official forum is at Desura. It is the better place to ask for help, since there are more people over there.
Looks like I got it to work; I think I kept accidentally putting one wrong number in and thought it was the right one. Thanks for your help!