.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old September 30th, 2017, 06:09 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Trophy

Looks like the US is finaly going to deploy some Trophy equiped units rather than wait for their own active protection system
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...14748_c_LLuo7D

Other sources state the heavy vehicle version is being modified so the crew can reload it from inside the vehicle.
To me as said before EW or thermobaric (high pressure) artillery to jam or destroy the fairly simple radar seems the way forward. Of course if your own EW systems are good making comunications difficult artillery is in trouble.
Old September 30th, 2017, 06:34 PM

General

Default Re: Trophy

Sorry for double post still a long way off if look at contracts link be available around the time of 2019 game patch.
Old September 30th, 2017, 09:41 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Trophy

My take-aways from the article are: (1) Active protective systems in general have real issues that have service members and crews with little confidence in the system, and (2) The army continues research in the tank's skin to find lighter yet stronger material.

Active protection systems aren’t perfect of course. Most notably, just like reactive armor, they only supply a limited number of total “shots” before they become dead weight and crews cannot readily reload them during a fight. In addition, the interceptors could be dangerous to nearby supporting infantry, critical to any armor operation, especially in dense urban terrain, as well as innocent bystanders.

"The real sort of Holy Grail of technologies that I’m trying to find on this thing is material – is the armor itself,” U.S. Army General Mark Milley told reporters at the National Press Club in July 2017. “If we can discover a material – and I’ve got a lot of research and development going into it – if we can discover a material that is significantly lighter in weight that gives you the same armor protection, that would be a real significant breakthrough.”

Other Army officials have suggested in the past there is an institutional reluctance to eschew any amount of passive armor plating in favor of active protection. Confidence in a system is an important, if intangible factor.

“There has to be a level of trust in whatever it is that you're trying [to use] to displace that passive armor,” U.S. Army Lieutenant General John Murray, Deputy Chief of Staff for Resource Management, told industry representatives in March 2017. He said at the time he wasn’t sure troops had that level of faith in active protection.

In terms of scenario design, the article asserted, "Nearly all … launchers are high-level threats to vehicles and rotary-wing aircraft (my emphasis) in the U.S. Army."

Thus, in light of the above assertion, in game ATGM's maybe hacked to target helos.

Old September 30th, 2017, 10:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

A big issue with this sort of system is it's unintended side effects on your supporting infantry. If it's a tank vs tank (or tank vs fortifications) battle this is of course a nonissue, but if you're working in concert with infantry ...

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old October 1st, 2017, 02:13 AM

General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
A big issue with this sort of system is it's unintended side effects on your supporting infantry. If it's a tank vs tank (or tank vs fortifications) battle this is of course a nonissue, but if you're working in concert with infantry ...
Firstly sorry for posting in wrong spot.
Agree close supporting infantry is an issue but if its an effective system you no longer need them just modify tactics to keep a suitable distance away.
Tanks are falling to ATGM all over the shop recently due to poor screening & tactics, more than a few have been K/kills.
In the past Merkavas I would say faired better than most other tanks generally surviving the hit but leading to Trophy being developed because they still suffered losses.
Since its fitment no ATGM or RPG has hit its target & as far as I am aware no one has been harmed by the system firing. I would say losing a friendly soldier who operated to close to the vehicle is a small price to pay for that advantage.

As to confidence in the system so far I think its stopped 14 shots in combat situations & decided not to fire once as it was a near miss. It still plotted the firers location in the last case so was activated.
Probably why they are working on making it reloadable from in the tank.
Old October 10th, 2017, 03:18 PM

Sergeant

redcoat2 is on a distinguished road

The TROPHY™ APS Data Sheet on the Leonardo DRS website:

http://www.leonardodrs.com/media/634..._datasheet.pdf
Old October 11th, 2017, 01:00 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

With onboard, automatic reloads becoming more prevalent is there a need / any chance we can get more than 2 "Shots" of CIWS in game?

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old October 11th, 2017, 01:08 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Trophy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post
With onboard, automatic reloads becoming more prevalent is there a need / any chance we can get more than 2 "Shots" of CIWS in game?
Yeah, good point. Say, after a turn we get an additional two shots.