.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:31 PM

First Lieutenant

bbz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MA Eriu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shangrila00 View Post
As I mentioned before, the main way to decoy mages is to present better targets, ie chaff. Except that's the last thing a thug army needs, since they will rout your thugs by dying.

If you are suicide bombing Tuatha, it better not be counterable. That's a 390g cap only mage. Bean Sidhe can only get N2, and they'll lose any thisle mace you give them when they turn into a bird.
Ah sorry didnt know about that just because thunder bows did attack lightning immune targets and soul slay did target high MR guys. Well say size 6 units first.

Fair enogh about the suiciding Tautha but what if you are killing an SC with 20-30 gems worth of gear with a mage for 220 gold and 10 gem thisle mace? Or I guess that is situational and since it cannot be ensured can be countered with decoys.

Also yea ofc I read your comments.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:33 PM

Sergeant

Shardphoenix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
well say for a singe age game
As in "Marverni recruit-anywhere druids are SO imbalanced, when compared to Bogarus cap-only starets"?
Quote:
Bean Sidhe can only get N2
Additional gem?
Quote:
You are killing an SC with 20-30 gems worth of gear with a mage for 220 gold and 10 gem thisle mace
Tuatha attacks for a turn (to get in range), tartarian hits, tuatha dies.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM

Sergeant

Corinthian is on a distinguished road

Just gonna chime in and say that, first: indy shamans cost 180g not 110g. Also with magic 1 two shamans would give research 10 not 8. C'tis shamans costs 110. The indies are more expensive for balance reasons.

If you want good researchers, play MA TC and build ministers of magic. Costs 70g and give 6 RP with magic 1.

Second thing. You know those elemental armors? Those have encumbrance 3! Thats 6 extra points of enc per spell you cast and 3 extra points per attack! This above what he got naturally and the normal cost of the spell. Also keep in mind that you lose 1 point of defense per 7.5 fatigue and that mistform pops if you get a hit against you that does 25 dmg after armor reduction. Also, no boot slots for Messenger shoes. Well, an owl quill helps a bit in CBM I guess.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:36 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardphoenix View Post
Quote:
well say for a singe age game
As in "Marverni recruit-anywhere druids are SO imbalanced, when compared to Bogarus cap-only starets"?
Quote:
Bean Sidhe can only get N2
Additional gem?
Song of power is 4N so they need the mace as well as the 1 gems extra

Last edited by bbz; March 22nd, 2012 at 09:47 PM..
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM

Corporal

Shangrila00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardphoenix View Post
Additional gem?
Song of Power is N4. A Bean Sidhe needs a thisle mace and an extra gem to cast it, and you can't boost up 2 levels.

edit: ninja'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post
Just gonna chime in and say that, first: indy shamans cost 180g not 110g. Also with magic 1 two shamans would give research 10 not 8. C'tis shamans costs 110. The indies are more expensive for balance reasons.
There are 110g tribal shamans with 1 nature and 0.1 picks of something else, like deer, wolf, and bear tribe shamans, not the lizard shamans, though Eriu would be recruiting those too if it lucks on them for the astral access. There are also 120g indy druids, which Eriu would want as well since they are stealthy. And those are the best researchers Eriu has in Magic 1, which is kind of sad. Though better for Eriu than any of the other sad research nations, since it has good national N1 spells.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:39 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinthian View Post

If you want good researchers, play MA TC and build ministers of magic. Costs 70g and give 6 RP with magic 1.

Second thing. You know those elemental armors? Those have encumbrance 3! Thats 6 extra points of enc per spell you cast and 3 extra points per attack! This above what he got naturally and the normal cost of the spell. Also keep in mind that you lose 1 point of defense per 7.5 fatigue and that mistform pops if you get a hit against you that does 25 dmg after armor reduction. Also, no boot slots for Messenger shoes. Well, an owl quill helps a bit in CBM I guess.
Edit: Wasnt it 1 point per 10 fatigue? and 1 point of attack for 20 fatigue.
I know about the mistform. And as you I didn't know that mele enc doesn't increase if you are on horse. so no 3 exptra points per attack
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:51 PM

Sergeant

Corinthian is on a distinguished road

(Quickly checking the manual)

You are right, its per 10 points of fatigue. I'm not all here today it seems.
Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:56 PM

First Lieutenant

No worries its a good place to learn things, and I learnt a lot thx to Valerius and the other guys so thx for the help still I'd like some input on how to stop those thugs having access to only death and air lets say.

Would skellyspam work agianst an army supported by those thugs?(since you mentioned skelly spam)(coz I don't think it would) I guess in a mage for mage situations skellyspam will work so I'll try that.
Old March 23rd, 2012, 12:52 PM

Corporal

Shangrila00 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbz View Post
No worries its a good place to learn things, and I learnt a lot thx to Valerius and the other guys so thx for the help still I'd like some input on how to stop those thugs having access to only death and air lets say.

Would skellyspam work agianst an army supported by those thugs?(since you mentioned skelly spam)(coz I don't think it would) I guess in a mage for mage situations skellyspam will work so I'll try that.
You are going to have to consider what research you have and how your opponent is scripting his thugs. Mindhunt is a hard counter, but barring that, everything else might work or might not. Which is the whole point of the game right?

That said, 1/3 of your Fomorian kings have D3. Give them a skull staff and they can cast drain life. As mentioned earlier, drain life destroys low hp living thugs. You can cast it forever, and the AI will cast it even after your scripting runs out. Skellyspam is more for nations with cheaper, recruit anywhere death mages, since you need critical mass. But if you happen to have critical mass anyway, like defending your capital, it'll work fine.

Also, if you are facing armies backed up by thugs, it's vulnerable to being destroyed by routing. Once the troops die, the low hp thugs will run, and die if you can cut off retreat. Any normal tactic can do this, since it's not possible to make normal troops immune to anything. Fomoria is also exceptionally good at destroying enemies with routing since it has cloud trapezing SCs and the ability to cast wailing winds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shangrila00 For This Useful Post:
Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM

First Lieutenant

yea thx I forgot that I can use drain life simple solution