This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old June 27th, 2003, 05:22 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: STM "Final v1.7.5" Discussion

Cardassians are a far cry from Communists...

Federation personnel do not possess personal forcefields.

Quote:
And the Federation soldiers are no soldiers but all have an excellent training, thats one of their main points.
Yes, but it can not compare to first hand experience that Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Gem'Hadar, etc. warriors recieve.

[ June 27, 2003, 04:32: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old June 27th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Private

BeenAssimilated is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Imperator Fyron:
Actually, they do. Starfleet Marines (seen in DS9) have a elliptical energy field that they hold out in front of them like a shield. Look at this link:
Security Ordinance
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Private

Scipio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Cardassians are a far cry from Communists...

quote:
And the Federation soldiers are no soldiers but all have an excellent training, thats one of their main points.
Yes, but it can not compare to first hand experience that Klingon, Romulan, Cardassian, Gem'Hadar, etc. warriors recieve.
For me Cardassians are the communists of the Star Trek universe not quite the same (but who is that?) but near to that.
Further I agree that Fed,Troops have no personal shields, it was never seen in the series and this pages refers to a comic wich I wouldn`t count. Sure they could have shields, but K/R/D/C could have that too.
Further I think the D/K training of their troops is best but the training of the Romulans/Cardassians and Federation is equal to each other. And dont forget the Federation would have the best equipment/weapons.
Just 5 seconds of time for each of these.
</i]
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by BeenAssimilated:
quote:
Actually, they do. Starfleet Marines (seen in DS9) have a elliptical energy field that they hold out in front of them like a shield. Look at this link:
Security Ordinance

Looks like artistic liscence to me. I never saw any such thing in any ST episode or movie. And even so, that is hardly a personal forcefield in the normal sense of the word. More of a riot shield, not a protective screen around the troop.

Quote:
And dont forget the Federation would have the best equipment/weapons.
The militaristic races would have better militaristic personnel equipment because the Federation does not do very much ground combat. Their force lies in their starships, not their troops. Think of it this way: Federationers are not professional warriors. The Federation does not focus much research into troop equipment and such. The more militaristic races do.

[ June 27, 2003, 09:41: Message edited by: Imperator Fyron ]
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:51 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

General Woundwort is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by openair:
who said anything about gadgets, i hardly call a personal forced field for example a gadget...
My points - technological superiority and raw firepower do not automatically equate to better troops, or guaranteed victory. Innumerable other factors (elan and fighting experience) come into play.

Just ask Lord Chelmsford after Ishandlwana.
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:21 AM

Private

Scipio is on a distinguished road

First my point is that a Klingon warrior and Jem Hadar are much better fighters/troops than any other. But my other point is that the romulans, cardassian on the one side and humans/andorians/vulcans share nearly the same biological strenght. So one point to even their troops strenght.
Further the cardassians are trained poorley but mainly for combat, the romulans are trained well but not only for combat and the Star Fleet personal is trained excellent but only very few in combat. For me its an equal match.
And Further the Cardassians research mainly on Military but they are no high tech race, the Romulans are advance and focus on military goals but also on many other things, and the federation does not focus on military technology but is the advanced by far and gets good phasers/shields because of their other research goals. Its ture that the Romulan PersonelDisrupter is the best Personalweapon in the Alpha Quadrant, better than the advanced Starfleet phaser (not much but they yield more power over more time) but also better than the war purpose only Klingon disruptors (wich are stronger but only dont use the power very well).
Just 5 seconds of time for each of these.
</i]
Old June 27th, 2003, 12:18 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

An update:

I have gotten the Componets file organized. I have removed what needed to be removed, including the Quantum Reactor. I don't like it, and I did not want it in the mod.

I have fleshed out the pseudo-Newtonian propulsion model based on proportion, and have set up the VehicleSize.txt file. I have added all tech info to the TechArea.txt file and have adjusted several components by renaming them and or modifying there abilities.

I had no model to follow for engines so I used the system from the AST mod.

5 Impulse Engines
3 Warp Drive engines (1 being available at game start)
3 Extended warp drive engines. (Transwarp, etc)
3 Seperate Quantum Singlarity drives for the Romulans.
3 Custom Race specific engines, Slipstream for the federation, Quantum Slipstream for the Romulans, and Hyper-Conduite Transwarp Drive for the Borg.

I have play tested the mod without errors.

I will now work on weapons.

I left Capital Ship Missle and DUC's as is for general all purpose use. I did however extend the DUC's to Level 10.

Point defense Cannons are now Point Defense Disrupters for general use while the Federation will have better Version named Point Defense Phasers.

I will leave the Cultural modifiers alone for now, but have included the ones from the AST mod as they are quite well balanced. (When setting up your empire you can choose)

I have editied the General.txt files for all major races to include the descriptions from Kwoks web site. They are all quite good Captain, far better than the ones I had.

All in all it was a productive day until I started watching the Discovery Channel. Then the day went poof.
Old June 27th, 2003, 04:32 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Atrocities:

I had started composing an e-mail explaining the engine model I used and the shield system but I didn't get a chance to finish it yet. I'll try and get it done tonight and send it off to you.

Others:

Re: Federation strength - I would think with the size of the Federation that they would enjoy a numerical advantage in terms of troops and such once they got organized. Of course, you can also claim they needed to defend much more space...
Old June 27th, 2003, 05:52 PM

Captain

Erax is on a distinguished road

Regarding ground troops : are Romulans as strong as Vulcans ? If so, their troop strength should take that into account. Being able to aim and fire a 16-kg disruptor as well as a human would aim and fire an 8-kg phaser rifle MUST make a difference.

Also, there was a change in the race profile of the Romulans from the classic series to TNG. Which Version will you use ? (I think it will be TNG, because their apperance in the classic series was limited to one episode).
Old June 27th, 2003, 08:49 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Romulans should be as strong as Vulcans, as they share almost identical physiology. I believe they have at least been shown to be much stronger than humans.