.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old April 1st, 2007, 06:18 AM

Private

aku666 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: As far as I know, it should be possible.

Wow, that's a grand plan you got there. I wish you luck

Ps. I wonder who will get Torin
Old April 1st, 2007, 06:55 AM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: \"Master of Magic: Dark Elves\" Mod

Quote:
Foodstamp said:
Here are the main differences as I see them-----------------

Dominions 3 is an army building game where the goal of the player is to create varied armies of different shapes and sizes to put against the AI or other players creations.
I tend to disagree, unless you count building up SCs as "armies", too.

The biggest difference I see is the city building, yes, and the ability to move your units yourself during the combat turns. Some people heavily depended on that: One cheap tactic of players with the Troll nation was to hit+run in battle, waiting until the units are completely regenerated. Would have been too boring to me, but there are some other situations where the order in which your units attacked or control you had over your heroes in combat was essential - you could still hand the fighting over to the AI after you were pretty much done.

HoneyBadger, I don't think your "pretenders have to empower/wish" idea is feasible in any way, because those strategies would be too costly to have a heavy influence on the game. The research needed till you reach level 15 alone would kill the idea, but you'd better be off to sink the gems into summons and items for SCs, too, instead of empowering so much.

Dom3 and MoM are similar, but just too different - I have to agree that I liked playing MoM more, too, because I am a die-hard fan of the original Civilization, too.
Emergency comic relief
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:00 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry too much about making a total conversion of Dom3. It's close enough just to have only mom nations, modify a couple of maps to use mom-unit poptypes (like only the basic units of halflings and whatnot) and to add in mom spells (maybe eventually you could remove some Dom3 spells entirely, leaving you with basically the mom selection).

Even just adding in mom nations would be cool, of course.
Old April 1st, 2007, 04:12 PM
Major General

Foodstamp is on a distinguished road

@Ich

I would consider building super combatants part of the army building process. I still believe that this game is about army structuring and movement more than anything else, while Master of Magic was about hero progression, city development and gaining power with your wizard.

There are a bit of these elements in both games, but really I still think the games are too different to compare side by side.

@Sombre

I don't intend to convert dominions 3. My plans are to add the races from master of magic, add the heroes (Although I will not be able to assign them fixed names), add a few wizard pretenders, and add as many of the spells as I can that will translate over decently.

I will not be taking anything out of dominions 3 to accommodate this mod beyond a few middle era or late era nations. (The mod will be set in the early era.) Basically I plan on making Master of Magic a part of the current game.

Eventually I plan to incorporate all my favorite fantasy strategy games into Dominions, doing away with the middle and late era, and having 79 nations in the early era .