This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old May 5th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road
Default OT - Iron Man

Went and saw Iron Man the other day. What a kick butt movie!! DC Comics and Warner need to seriously bribe whoever writes these movies and make a decent superheroe movie that doesn't involve Superman or Batman. The only thing I had a question about was how did Tony Stark fly from California to Afghanistan, kick butt and didn't take names, and fly back to CA in what seemed only a few hours. Don't you love comic book science?!

Before the movie started, I also saw a trailer for a new Incredible Hulk movie. I didn't even know it was being made. Looks like no one from the original movie was in it, and can you blame them? But i got the impression that is just going to be a "Hulk smash" type of movie, and nothing too introspective like the last one.

Saw another Dark Knight trailer, and Heath Ledger's make-up was totally different than what Jack Nicholson had as the Joker. But the movie looks great. Can't wait to see it.
Old May 5th, 2008, 02:33 PM

Sergeant

Ironmanbc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OT - Iron Man

It must be a thrill for Stan Lee to see AND be in the movies based on his comic books (not batman)

He may only have a small part but to him it's worth it
Old May 5th, 2008, 03:15 PM

Brigadier General

Timstone is on a distinguished road

I've seen Iron Man as well. I really enjoyed the movie. Although I don't like the cartoon-physics and the comic book science, I did like this movie. Reminded me a bit of the Gundam series.
Okay I'm not a professional reviewer, but this is what I make of it. I only base this on my own views. I'm sorry if I offend someone with this, that is not my intention.

My verdict for Iron Man (in a scale from 1 to 10):
CGI (some reflection imperfections and ugly explosions): 8
Sound (the music and sounds really pulled me into the movie, except the horribly weak nu-metal songs): 7
Story (I don't know the comic book, but I sure as hell liked this story. Classical bad vs. good with a strong sense of utopian justice, the strong USA taste of the movie was horrible though): 7
Overall feel and look (Bit bots, big guns, Gundam-like, need I say more): 9
Actors (I'm not really good in recognizing good actingskills and stuff, but I do know it when I think an actor "fits" into a movie. And Gwyneth Paltrow is one of my favorites, also big guy Obi (not Obi Wan...) fits in quite nice, and Tony Stark feels a bit like Howard Hughes, great stuff): 9
Total average: 8

Men may control the free world, but women control the boobs.
Brent in Plaver vs. Player
Old May 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Another Hulk movie? They'll finance another abysmal hulk movie but they won't green like a second Serenity movie? WTF is wrong with those dweebs in Hollywood?
Old May 5th, 2008, 07:49 PM

General

Baron Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Another Hulk movie? They'll finance another abysmal hulk movie but they won't green like a second Serenity movie? WTF is wrong with those dweebs in Hollywood?
The second Hulk movie, like Ironman, is financed by Marvel's own studio subdivision. After getting stiffed by Sony over the Spider-man franchise, and having to sue for his money, Stan Lee decided to start his own studio. (He actually fell for the 'percent of the profits' line, as if anyone in the world hasn't heard of "Hollywood accounting" yet? But they shot themselves in the foot because it made him ticked off enough to start his own studio.. ) Hopefully this means lots of good comic-based movies in the future.
Old May 5th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road

I really enjoyed Iron Man but there was one bit of plot that puzzled me. Maybe I missed something, so I'm hoping someone might be able to provide me with some insight.

We learn that Al'Qaeda--I'm sorry, what was it, Ten Swords?--was paid to capture Tony Stark. First, is it really a smart idea to go blowing up a convoy and launching indirect fire weapons when you're trying to capture a single individual? So they grab him and then later the boss terrorist is upset because they *didn't* know it was Stark they were supposed to capture and want more compensation. If they didn't know who they were being paid to capture, how did they know who to capture?

During his captivity they expect him to build them one of his new missiles. Yet they're in cahoots with his partner, who apparently then sells them the missiles a little while later. So if they can buy them what would be the point of them making Stark build them?
Old May 5th, 2008, 11:55 PM

Major General

Randallw is on a distinguished road

The group "Ten Rings" was hired by Ironmonger to kill Stark, not capture him. They didn't know who he was. They failed to kill him but captured him at which point they were surprised who he was. They sent Ironmonger a message saying they were dissapointed he didn't tell them who it was. It's at the beginning but it's in Urdu or something. Ironmonger is a profiteer though, he wouldn't hesitate to sell them the weapons later once they didn't have Stark building them. Remember Stark was demonstrating new weapons, Ten Rings wanted the newest stuff, they already clearly were getting earlier stuff from Ironmonger.
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:28 PM

National Security Advisor

Captain Kwok is on a distinguished road

Mrs. Kwok and I enjoyed the movie. It was quite entertaining and Robert Downey was excellent.
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:57 PM

First Lieutenant

Azselendor is on a distinguished road

I can't wait for the next one, supposedly they are gonna delve into tony stark's drinking problems. I only wish the film was a bit longer and samuel l jackson's cameo annoyed me.

As for hulk films, why are they financing another one when they could simple send rosie o'donnel to a GOP fund raiser. ROSIE SMASH! and video tape that.

OOOHH!!! maybe that's what happened in cloverfield. lol
Old May 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM

Captain

dmm is on a distinguished road

Once they found out who it was, they couldn't bring themselves to kill him. Why? Because of the natural love of terrorists for weapons geniuses.

[terrorist leader, in Urdu] "Dang! We can't kill Tony Stark. He spreads death and destruction everywhere. He's our hero. No, we won't do it! Next thing they'll be asking us to take out Bill Gates."

[other terrorist joins in] "Yes, brother. Innocent women and children must be sacrificed, this is true. But evil geniuses? Where will it end? Dick Cheney? A man has to draw the line somewhere."

[all terrorists join in gunfire and chants] "Allah akbar" etc.