.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 12th, 2006, 10:57 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road
Default My First DomIII AAr

This is the first AAR I have done for DomIII (as the title states) -or any TBS for that matter. I'm not sure how often I will be able to update it. I hope you like it. Remember, I am a noob, I will be following the manual in most instances, and suggestions are welcome (though I will be playing a bit ahead).

JORIEDNE

This is played on the exciting new patch map.

Up until now I have been specifically choosing nations, but I have run out of the ones I wanted to try. I found out the hard way I need a lot more practice at this game. So I am playing on this map with the recommended number of players (9, all "normal" AIs) and the recommended money multiplier (150). I have renaming on, but basic settings otherwise. I decided to try a random nation, and Ulm came up. I took the manual's strategy of VQ with 2A 2F 2E 3D 3B. I got 6 dominion, and found the extra points in Misfortune 2, Death 1, and Cold 1. Might turn out terrible, but the book can't be wrong, can it?

Spring in the First Year of the Ascenion Wars

The Contact

It was gone. The force that held her in had left. She reached out, and felt the world for the first time in, oh, too long... Joriedne, the Vampire QUEEN was ready to reclaim her domain! But who would remember? She looked upon those pathetic, unorganized populations around her, and moved away. These people were not strong enough. She would need a real nation.

The Fort

Culnak walked the mightiest walls in the world. Jagged heaps of stone, collapsing towers, sinking foundations, and undead guardians met his gaze. Who knows how long these walls have stood? The guards are the only ones who remember the Great War, when the 50 Traitors marched on Ulm, in Hyplos, and the Malediction came. They are willing to tell you of Sam, whose bones are over there, and whose flesh is, well, you would have done the same. That is, if they aren't hungry.

She had come yesterday. There were those who had traitorous Counts (bloodsuckers!) in their past, Sanguine Heritige they call it, though none would admit such ancestry to your face. They never showed up at the castle, thanks to the ghoul guard. Until she did.

"Don't move the gate!" "Get some crossbows!" There was pandemonium. A mob threw piles of garlic at her. Nothing would do, she simply marched to the gate and swung her hand. It burst open! The ghoul guard prepared to guard the second gate, the mob backed away. Then Van D ük came forward and placed his hand upon the gate. When the vampire waved her hand at it, it held. The she grew angry, and the very air around her seemed to churn. Even the guard was shaken, and Van D ük faltered. Tygos came riding his great black warhorse down in front of another mob, much more orderly than the one around the gate, from the Black Temple.

He was shouting about a god come to save our people. On every other the mob cried "Joriedne!" He told Van Dük to open the gate. What could we do?

She certainly acts the god. She demands a fortune teller in her service (how absurd!), rangers, mercenaries (Madame Fortuna said she would consider 56 gold!) more money (I had to send captain Sigebert patrolling to keep unrest down!), and access to the magic books. Magic is forbidden! But at least she spends all her time there, and isn't as much of a nuisance. She wants detailed information about the area, so I sent Tulka out. He said he would go to Sennescor. I hope he lives...

I am researching construction, I bid 56 gold on Madame Fortuna, I sent the scout to Sennescor, I recruited rangers, a fortune teller (to conteract that misfortune), set the taxes to 160% and set the starting army to patrol. Note that many characters are introduced before they actually are recruited for story reasons. "Culnak" is completely made up.

A picture of the starting position is attached
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 469907-Turn 1 Picture.bmp (3.75 MB, 210 views)
Old November 14th, 2006, 02:31 PM

Major General

Taqwus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My First DomIII AAr

Mmm, misfortune. I'm curious to see how this turns out.
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:39 PM

Sergeant

Fate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My First DomIII AAr

Two turns this time! Please note, I only remembered a shot of one (sorry).

Late Spring in the First Year of the Ascenion Wars

Spreading Rumors

I have heard that the are other gods out there. The priests in Hyplos say they have found faith in Joriedne after the Pantokrater disappeared, but those beyond the walls often beg to differ.

There are tales of legions of undead, rising to follow "Deathgasp," monkeys following serpents, and deep sea fish ruling the ice. The Marignese, T'ien Chi, Utgard, and C'tis -known only to the guards and the letters of dead missionaries- are all still there. I don't credit these, but Joriedne demands to know every scrap.

Someone pinched some of those gems that are found every so often. Joriedne demands we keep close guard over them. I think they are too bulky to be good for a ring. Madame Fortuna came. She and Amia, Joriedne's fortune teller, talked a lot, and have also secluded themselves in the old library.

Tulka sent a letter home. He has come to a land of terrible barbarians, and large numbers too. The air itself reeks, he says, and he doesn't feel as good. He thinks he may be sick. I told him he should come back, but he wants to push on. He says he has heard of some "High Road of Hell." I hope for more news from him.

Joriedne said taxes could be relaxed if and only if Sigebert took his men and the rangers to conquer someplace. There was a vote (also known as a mob) and it was decided Sigebert would leave. Word of what Tulkas found in Sennescor leaked, and now no one is willing to follow him. The Sigebert has opted for a peaceful trading neighbor of ours, the people of the Plain of Mungo. "Maybe they won't even fight," Sigebert said. Too many will die...

Someone let slip to Joriedne that "Hector's Heavy Horsemen" are looking for hire, and she demands I give them money. I offered 236. She also asked that Van D ük, the man who held her out!, be hired. Tygos wanted him hung, but she countermanded him, and he sure complained a lot, but she seems to have some power over him.

I got the mercenary. My scout is diseased, so Inkpot End must be in Sennescor. I have set taxes to auto, all my mages to research, and I sent all my toops (not including the mercenary) with Sigebert to take the Plain of Mungo. Tulka is indeed headed to "Hell's High Road."

----------------------------------

Early Summer in the First Year of the Ascenion Wars

Imperial Power

Sigebert lives! I received a runner from him. The inhabitants were mostly friendly, but some stood up to resist him. It seems that most his soldiers are unhurt, but one was fatally injured in battle. The people have heard of his achievements, and there are tales that he can resist magic! He believes he can push on to what the inhabitants of Mungo call "Dry Reach."

Tulka has made it to "Hell's High Road." He is feeling weaker every day, and says he is not sure how long he can keep this up, but he doesn't want to come home. Joriedne would be angry.

"Hector's Heavy Horsemen" took the money. They went straight to Joriedne. After no more than a half an hour they came out, demanding supplies for an attack on the mountain village to the south, aptly named "Stronghold." They obviously took more food than was their due, but I am not eager to cross with Joriedne.

Van Dük accepted the job, and he has vanished into the tower with everyone else.

Joriedne personally has sent 116 gold to the "Archers in White." She didn't even bother asking me this time. Tygos has been standing outside her rooms as much as he could, lately. Joriedne has ordered him hired as her first "Hochmeister." Tygos has been very proud over this announcement and is personally overseeing his own appointment.

He will meet a nasty end, for sure.

The Heavy Horsemen came. Sigebert took the Plains of Mungo with only one casualty and no wounded. He now has Iron Will. Tulka has reached "Hell's High Road." It apparently contains 20 militia/heavy infantry. Tulka has been sent to Aala Forest, Sigebert to Dry Reach, and Hector to Stronghold. I plan to raise the defense in all the provinces I conquer to 10, starting with the Plains. I hired a Hochmeister to be my prophet, possibly to become a thug of sorts. I forgot to take a shot of this turn.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 470934-Turn 2 Picutre.bmp (3.75 MB, 171 views)